5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

Longhorn1

Reaction score
Same issues here. I picked my truck up last Friday that I had ordered. Lots of noise coming from the rear seat area pretty much anything over 20 mph. I’m not happy about spending so much for this truck and now I have to deal with trying to figure out what’s causing the issue. The truck I test drove didn’t have this issue.

Last edited:

Troyrugsucker

Reaction score
I picked up my truck last Saturday and have the road noise issues as well.(85 miles):rolleyes:.. For those of you who have had the horizontal seal installed did it work? If so, has anyone gotten an explanation on why it has been omitted? I would rather just order one and install it myself than go to the dealer... BTW longtime Lurker 1st post GREAT informative sight! ..Thanks guys!

bonebro

Reaction score
I picked up my truck last Saturday and have the road noise issues as well.(85 miles):rolleyes:.. For those of you who have had the horizontal seal installed did it work? If so, has anyone gotten an explanation on why it has been omitted? I would rather just order one and install it myself than go to the dealer... BTW longtime Lurker 1st post GREAT informative sight! ..Thanks guys!
The seal definitely helps! Get one for sure!

Troyrugsucker

Reaction score
The seal definitely helps! Get one for sure!
I just ordered it! Less than $20 shipped to my door is worth it to make it go away! Like many others the test drive vehicle I drove didn't have this road noise... BTW "bonebro" thank you for doing the "legwork" on this!(y)

VinnyRam

Reaction score
So which is it ? This $15 seal or the $4 roll of blue tape around the back window that reduces the cabin noise ? Maybe both? At this point I don't mind spending another $20 to fix a $65K truck.

RAMREB

Reaction score
Jumping on the bandwagon to give this a try. Do we have confirmation that they stopped installing this seal on all vehicles after the date mentioned by a previous post on this thread? I wonder if it was a parts availability issue that led Mopar to leave this out on some builds?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 9/8/18 build does not have it and I suspect it is also the cause of dirt getting into the cab as I outlined here. I've got one ordered so we'll see how it works out but I do not have any appreciable road noise without it.

John Hable

Reaction score
I picked up my truck last Saturday and have the road noise issues as well.(85 miles):rolleyes:.. For those of you who have had the horizontal seal installed did it work? If so, has anyone gotten an explanation on why it has been omitted? I would rather just order one and install it myself than go to the dealer... BTW longtime Lurker 1st post GREAT informative sight! ..Thanks guys![/QUOT
The seal helped mine for sure.

Troyrugsucker

Reaction score
2 other questions/obsevations:
A lot of us with the road noise have tonneau covers. I wonder if the aerodynamics are affected by the cover causing the vents to activate prematurely or open up further or all the way.
It appears that the vents activate/open fairly easily. With all of the AC issues, wind noise complaints is it possible that they changed their rear vent system made it bigger or made it open easier to allow more airflow?
Regardless I'll try the horizontal seal and report back.
BTW I was reading on Ford & GM forums and they have had past issues with these as well:eek:

The_Chemist

Reaction score
A lot of us with the road noise have tonneau covers. I wonder if the aerodynamics are affected by the cover causing the vents to activate prematurely or open up further or all the way.
It appears that the vents activate/open fairly easily. With all of the AC issues, wind noise complaints is it possible that they changed their rear vent system made it bigger or made it open easier to allow more airflow?
BTW I was reading on Ford & GM forums and they have had past issues with these as well:eek:
That's really a keen observation on your part. I do have a factory tri-fold tonneau cover with Ram Boxes.... Hmmmm..

I haven't had my truck long enough to experience A/C issues during the warm weather months...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I do not have a tonneau cover (yet) and do have dirt coming in through the rear vents. If tonneaus make it worse I'm glad I have a seal on the way.

bonebro

Reaction score
I definitely noticed the road noise more after I installed the tonneau. The cab seal has brought the cabin back to quiet!

John Hable: is the sound pad you are referring to the double wall carpet on the back wall centered over the center console?

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I just had a look at my December 2019 built Limited and it is missing the seal, as expected given the build date. But the cabin in my truck is very quiet. Why would some no seal trucks be loud and others quiet?

I'm waiting for delivery of my Retrax electric retractable bed cover. It should be here next week. It will be interesting to see (hear, actually) if it makes any difference to cabin noise, as some have reported their bed covers do. If it does, I'll be off to the dealer to get a seal...I looked where it goes and, as other folks already noted, the middle clip is going to be a real PITA.

As an aside, I washed my truck for the first time today. Holy crap! I mean I knew it was big, even very big. But when it comes time to wash it, it's really, really big. And it has an endless number of nooks and crannies, especially the grill, which makes it challenging to dry the car. The only good thing is that the wheels (20") are big enough and the spokes far enough apart that my wheel brush easily gets into where it needs to go so washing them is relatively easy. And they don't have much in the way of small, hard to dry places that hold water.

okanagan ram

Reaction score
I think it would be important to include tires (size and brand) in this discussion, as it could be the main cause of excessive noise.
yes, i put winter Toyo tires with the crushed walnut shells in them after buying the truck and there is a big time sound difference from tire noise taking off the new all seasons! But, i can go anywhere!

The_Chemist

Reaction score
@John Hable, you must be a mechanical whiz kid (I mean this as a compliment)! My seal came in the mail yesterday. I thought it would be no big deal to install. I crawled underneath the truck. My truck has skid plates, so the space was a little tight.

I felt along the edge of the bed opposite the cabin wall. I could only find one hole and it was outside the area where the seal would go. Continuing to feel along the bed wall, I could feel what felt like there was a hole on the very outside flange, but the inside of that flange was not drilled through. Apparently there are pinch welds where the back wall of the bed is joined to the floor. Mine feels like the back wall has the holes for the retainer clips of the seal, but the piece of metal from the bed floor that is butted against the back bed wall is not drilled through.

I could be totally wrong as I could not see too much under there, but I guess I'll bring the seal to the dealer at first oil change and see if they can install it. Don't get it, I'm usually very mechanically inclined.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@John Hable, you must be a mechanical whiz kid (I mean this as a compliment)! My seal came in the mail yesterday. I thought it would be no big deal to install. I crawled underneath the truck. My truck has skid plates, so the space was a little tight.

I felt along the edge of the bed opposite the cabin wall. I could only find one hole and it was outside the area where the seal would go. Continuing to feel along the bed wall, I could feel what felt like there was a hole on the very outside flange, but the inside of that flange was not drilled through. Apparently there are pinch welds where the back wall of the bed is joined to the floor. Mine feels like the back wall has the holes for the retainer clips of the seal, but the piece of metal from the bed floor that is butted against the back bed wall is not drilled through.

I could be totally wrong as I could not see too much under there, but I guess I'll bring the seal to the dealer at first oil change and see if they can install it. Don't get it, I'm usually very mechanically inclined.

I ran out of time trying to install mine yesterday and saw what you are talking about. I have the weld indentions but also have the holes. My issue was that the holes don't line up with the seal. The outer two are fine but the third one in is off by about 1/2".

On top of that, the seal seems designed for a wider bed-to-cab gap than the 2019 has. The side seals don't touch the cab whereas this one will not only touch but be forced to curl in. I'm concerned about grit getting in there and rubbing through the cab paint over time.

Unless I'm doing something very wrong.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
yes, i put winter Toyo tires with the crushed walnut shells in them after buying the truck and there is a big time sound difference from tire noise taking off the new all seasons! But, i can go anywhere!
I have winter Toyo tires on my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. They're actually "all weather" tires which are half snow tire and half all season Radial. They are LOUD!

Users who are viewing this thread