5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

The_Chemist

Reaction score
So if I am at 75dB at 70 mph I have a noisy cabin?
First of all what did you use to obtain the 75 dB reading? Is it "A" scale? Don't use "C" scale, that's compensated for human hearing (Fletcher Munson Curve). "A" scale more accurately measures low frequency noise. If you used an app on a cell phone, you'll only get a ballpark number. Those mics are not calibrated. You could be as much as 10 dB off. I'll have to check mine at 70 mph and see what I get. I wouldn't think that a 70ish dBA reading would be too bad though at 70 mph... Does it sound really loud to you at 70 mph?

Last night when I checked my Longhorn at 55 mph, I used a cell phone with a couple of different apps. I got well over 70 dBA. I knew that couldn't have possibly been cirrect, since I could easily hear a whisper. I went the whole way back hone, got my SPL meter, and it read 58 to 61 dBA on the same road at the same speed. That sounds more like it, plus it matches what TFL truck got on their test.

Last edited:

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First of all what did you use to obtain the 75 dB reading? Is it "A" scale? Don't use "C" scale, that's compensated for human hearing (Fletcher Munson Curve). "A" scale more accurately measures low frequency noise. If you used an app on a cell phone, you'll only get a ballpark number. Those mics are not calibrated. You could be as much as 10 dB off. I'll have to check mine at 70 mph and see what I get. I wouldn't think that a 70ish dBA reading would be too bad though at 70 mph... Does it sound really loud to you at 70 mph?

Last night when I checked my Longhorn at 55 mph, I used a cell phone with a couple of different apps. I got well over 70 dBA. I knew that couldn't have possibly been cirrect, since I could easily hear a whisper. I went the whole way back hone, got my SPL meter, and it read 58 to 61 dBA on the same road at the same speed. That sounds more like it, plus it matches what TFL truck got on their test.
Yeah no idea how accurate it is, I just downloaded one on my cell phone. I'll try a couple others. I have no idea what "scale" I was using

Cmoar

Reaction score
For those of you with the noise canceling that works properly, can you tell me if there is a discernible noise that comes from the speaker. I honestly don’t hear a thing, and it makes me wonder if it even works. Thank you

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Someone on here said that they thought the truck they test drove was much quieter than the one they bought.

I think that as well. I test drove a Limited and a Longhorn, both without the off road package.

I ordered and took delivery of a Longhorn with off road package.

I remember saying during the test drive how quiet the truck was. All I heard was a little tiny bit of wind noise at 70 mph. In my Longhorn, I can hear tire and road noise as well. Maybe it is because I have the off road group with Falken all terrain tires.

I need to drive my truck on the same road where I test drove the 2 from the dealer at 70 mph and see if mine matches the quietness of the test driven vehicles.

Cmoar

Reaction score
Someone on here said that they thought the truck they test drove was much quieter than the one they bought.

I think that as well. I test drove a Limited and a Longhorn, both without the off road package.

I ordered and took delivery of a Longhorn with off road package.

I remember saying during the test drive how quiet the truck was. All I heard was a little tiny bit of wind noise at 70 mph. In my Longhorn, I can hear tire and road noise as well. Maybe it is because I have the off road group with Falken all terrain tires.

I need to drive my truck on the same road where I test drove the 2 from the dealer at 70 mph and see if mine matches the quietness of the test driven vehicles.

Thi is exactly what I’m going through. That’s why I was asking about the noise cancellation.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Thi is exactly what I’m going through. That’s why I was asking about the noise cancellation.
I know, I wish there were a way to see if the system is working correctly or not. Some kind of test?

I was watching old retro reviews of "Motor Week" on YouTube last night. (Geez, I used to video tape that show using the Beta tape format when it was originally broadcast on PBS - guess I'm showing my age). Some of the cars from the 80's that John Davis was testing had SPL readings of 60 dB at 60 mph. When I tested mine I got 58 to 61 dBA at 55 mph. So, is my 2019 RAM which brags about quietness not any quieter than a car from the 80's?

Most of the test reviewers who have done video reviews on the 2019 RAM 1500's state how quiet they are as well.

I never owned a truck before this one. Are the other brands really loud and noisy?

Last edited:

Ram19Va

Reaction score
I have the rebel with somewhat offroad tires, and it is very quiet. Hell quieter than my '12 Mustang was road noise wise.
Now sometimes I have a light whistling noise, but I believe that is due to the bigger tow mirrors. Nothing irritating though.
I'm not sure how the noise cancelling works, or hear anything from it. I got a loud Carven exhaust. Maybe it works overtime with that lol?

Cmoar

Reaction score
I know, I wish there were a way to see if the system is working correctly or not. Some kind of test?

I was watching old retro reviews of "Motor Week" on YouTube last night. (Geez, I used to video tape that show using the Beta tape format when it was originally broadcast on PBS - guess I'm showing my age). Some of the cars from the 80's that John Davis was testing had SPL readings of 60 dB at 60 mph. When I tested mine I got 58 to 61 dBA at 55 mph. So, is my 2019 RAM which brags about quietness not any quieter than a car from the 80's?

Most of the test reviewers who have done video reviews on the 2019 RAM 1500's state how quiet they are as well.

I never owned a truck before this one. Are the other brands really loud and noisy?
I have to do intelligibility test for fire alarms at work. I could break that out and see what I get. I would assume you would get an error message if the module controlling everything went out.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I have the rebel with somewhat offroad tires, and it is very quiet. Hell quieter than my '12 Mustang was road noise wise.
Now sometimes I have a light whistling noise, but I believe that is due to the bigger tow mirrors. Nothing irritating though.
I'm not sure how the noise cancelling works, or hear anything from it. I got a loud Carven exhaust. Maybe it works overtime with that lol?
So can you hear tire noise or road noise at all? I can in my Longhorn with the Falken Wildpesk all terrain tires. None-the-less, I still get a reading of 58 to 60 dBA at 55 mph....

Does your Rebel have the Goodyear Wrangler tires?

Ram19Va

Reaction score
So can you hear tire noise or road noise at all? I can in my Longhorn with the Falken Wildpesk all terrain tires. None-the-less, I still get a reading of 58 to 60 dBA at 55 mph....

Does your Rebel have the Goodyear Wrangler tires?
Yeah it has the Goodyear Wrangler ones. When I'm going about 70 you can hear it a bit, but its nothing loud. To me its a bit quieter than my past cars.

Limited 402

Reaction score
The back seat area of my Limited crew cab w/o sunroof sounds like a window is open when I drive on gravel. Or if the wind is blowing just right it is noisy in the back seat. The sounds are way louder than my '15 Bighorn I traded in . I have yet to look if the back of the cab has the vents or ports like the previous models. Then again, I have the volume of the HK sound system at 22 most of the time. So I don't notice the road or outside noise in the back as much.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All 19's have the vents. They are center of truck behind the rear seat between the cab and bed.

Reaction score
Yes! It is definitely louder with the shade open. I’m keeping the shade closed. My noise is behind the driver and feels down low. The Ram bins lack any sound insulation and they are thin and flimsy but I don’t think that’s it. The noise is louder than i think those bins would allow into the cabin.
My cab is very quiet... except for when the wipers at vertical. It seems I can hear them pushing the air over the top of the truck and moonroof. When I am driving and have the wipers on it is quiet, then whoosh, then quiet, then whoosh, repeat.

My wipers make noise too. i guess it’s the wind noise you describe. I can’t tell.

I have a new clue in my road noise. I drove in the rain for a long distance and now the carpet under the left rear seat is wet. Something not sealed up.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Spy60

Reaction score
I have similar faint noise coming from the rear seat area. It sounds like wind noise or like a white noise. I think it’s coming fro the noise canceling system. I need to do some more testing to see for sure.

I don’t have the off road package or sunroof, and stock tires on 20s.

txag09

Reaction score
I have the limited with sunroof and when driving it sounds like the rear passenger door or window is open.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 1500 Limited with build date 10/20/2018.

Excessive road noise which is most noticeable at highway speeds. The cabin noise on this truck is clearly louder than the 2019 truck I test drove and my own previous truck.

Does anyone know how to test the active noise cancellation system?

Anyone else have cabin noise louder than expected?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry to hear. In as much as my Limited has a million things wrong with it, I must say it's extremely quiet inside even with the pano shade open.

bonebro

Reaction score
I have the limited with sunroof and when driving it sounds like the rear passenger door or window is open.

Me too. Haven’t figured out what it is yet. I stuffed some towels under the rear seat up against the rear cab wall today... didn’t help with the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online