5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Will do, its simple to try yourself just buy a good roll of blue masking tape took me 10 minutes
I'll have to try this! It's really a shame many of us are ending up being mechancs, diagnosing and fixing issues on our brand new vehicles. Doesn't say too much for assembly quality or quality control in general.

By the way, I really like your tonneau cover. I ordered the factory cover with mine. Yours is way better looking!

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
I agree with you it angers me be working on my brand new 70k truck, however the noise drove me crazy, and my dealer told me normal wind buffeting, I have another appointment coming up soon and wanted to be able to say”look what I found, now fix it”

Thank you I like the hard cover too, I drove 300 miles to get it, its made by Bak for RAM
I know this as it was missing parts and called the number in the mopar manual, one week later a BAK box showed up with kinds of BAK brand labels.

Last edited:

Duane

Reaction score
The seal part number for the lower front of box is 68309888AA.
I looked under my truck and the holes are there for the clips to put the seal on. after my service appointment next week if nothing changes I will buy my own seal and install it my self, if it helps I will let you know if not I will be buying a box of towels. I really like the truck itself but I have a long commute to work and I just cant stand the road noise anymore. My 15 Longhorn was way quieter on the highway.

I have a '19 Limited (late July build) WITH the subject lower horizontal seal piece, and the wife now drives a '19 Longhorn (late October build) WITHOUT the seal. The Longhorn is quiet, but perceivably not quite as quiet as the Ltd. I intend now to order the piece (thanks J.H., for the Part #) for the Longhorn, for maximum vehicle quietness.
My question is, will it be possible (without disconnecting the box from the cab) to install the seal piece? I am not at all mechanical (I'll ask my dealler to install it), but it sure looks like there is a lot of componentry blocking the way at the bottom.
J.H. (or anyone), could you please tell me HOW logistically this seal could be positioned & retro-fitted into place?

My other question, was there a good reason WHY the seal piece was eliminated?....
Was it accumulating/trapping leaves, mud, & contaminant down in the crevasse?
Was it deemed ineffective and/or needless?
Or, was this purely a cost-cutting step?

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I would be very appreciative if someone who has the seal would be so kind as to post a picture.

I want to check my truck and really don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

MN5241

Reaction score
I would be very appreciative if someone who has the seal would be so kind as to post a picture.

I want to check my truck and really don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance.
I second this. I would also like to know.

bonebro

Reaction score
I have a '19 Limited (late July build) WITH the subject lower horizontal seal piece, and the wife now drives a '19 Longhorn (late October build) WITHOUT the seal. The Longhorn is quiet, but perceivably not quite as quiet as the Ltd. I intend now to order the piece (thanks J.H., for the Part #) for the Longhorn, for maximum vehicle quietness.
My question is, will it be possible (without disconnecting the box from the cab) to install the seal piece? I am not at all mechanical (I'll ask my dealler to install it), but it sure looks like there is a lot of componentry blocking the way at the bottom.
J.H. (or anyone), could you please tell me HOW logistically this seal could be positioned & retro-fitted into place?

My other question, was there a good reason WHY the seal piece was eliminated?....
Was it accumulating/trapping leaves, mud, & contaminant down in the crevasse?
Was it deemed ineffective and/or needless?
Or, was this purely a cost-cutting step?

The center push pin for the seal is above the fuel tank. I have the 33 gal tank. It was a bit of a fight and knuckle buster to get that one pin inserted fully... possibly because the hole had an irregularity. The other pins a monkey could install. I haven’t had it out much since I installed the seal to really be able to say if it helped or not. I paid $14 for the seal at my dealer.

Duane

Reaction score
The center push pin for the seal is above the fuel tank. I have the 33 gal tank. It was a bit of a fight and knuckle buster to get that one pin inserted fully... possibly because the hole had an irregularity. The other pins a monkey could install. I haven’t had it out much since I installed the seal to really be able to say if it helped or not. I paid $14 for the seal at my dealer.

Thanks much!
I have the 33 gallon tank as well....I assume you had the air suspension in ‘off-road 2’ and installed while lying under the truck?

bonebro

Reaction score
Thanks much!
I have the 33 gallon tank as well....I assume you had the air suspension in ‘off-road 2’ and installed while lying under the truck?

I had it in OR 1. I just about climbed out from under neath a couple times with intent to put it in normal or EE. But, I knew with one more try the pin had to pop in! Ha ‘‘twas a good ab workout, not so good on the neck.

John Hable

Reaction score
I put the seal in last weekend and I think it made a difference. I don't here the outside as clear as I did before. I feel without the seal the vents in the first photo are pushed open by the air moving between the box and the cab, It seemed like something was open behind the back seat. I didn't need the blind spot indicator in the mirror I could hear the car in my blind spot and the rear tires humming down the road. With the seal in place I don't hear it anymore. I was able to put the truck in off road 2 and crawl under and stick it on. The clip above the 33 gallon tank was the only hard one. I still have some noise and there is a sound pad behind the seat (that my truck was suppose to have but doesn't) I think will take car of the rest of it. Hope this helps, I will post photos of the sound pad behind the rear seat when I get to doing it.
IMG_0031.jpg IMG_0034.jpg IMG_0036.jpg IMG_0037.jpg

Duane

Reaction score
I put the seal in last weekend and I think it made a difference. I don't here the outside as clear as I did before. I feel without the seal the vents in the first photo are pushed open by the air moving between the box and the cab, It seemed like something was open behind the back seat. I didn't need the blind spot indicator in the mirror I could hear the car in my blind spot and the rear tires humming down the road. With the seal in place I don't hear it anymore. I was able to put the truck in off road 2 and crawl under and stick it on. The clip above the 33 gallon tank was the only hard one. I still have some noise and there is a sound pad behind the seat (that my truck was suppose to have but doesn't) I think will take car of the rest of it. Hope this helps, I will post photos of the sound pad behind the rear seat when I get to doing it.
View attachment 12997 View attachment 13001 View attachment 13002 View attachment 13003

Amazingly clear photos, J.H.
Thanks bonebro & J.H.!!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 12997 View attachment 13001 View attachment 13002 View attachment 13003
Did you ask the dealer why there was no seal between the box and cab on your truck when others have it. Hard to believe that FCA just decided to eliminate it. My Limited was built in June 2018 and it does have that seal. If the dealer says that they quit installing it, you should contact Ram Care and have them verify the issue.

John Hable

Reaction score
Did you ask the dealer why there was no seal between the box and cab on your truck when others have it. Hard to believe that FCA just decided to eliminate it. My Limited was built in June 2018 and it does have that seal. If the dealer says that they quit installing it, you should contact Ram Care and have them verify the issue.
All I could get from my dealer was the truck according to the build date didn't use the seal. In my opinion you could run without the seal if the vent where stronger and didn't open so easy.

bonebro

Reaction score
All I could get from my dealer was the truck according to the build date didn't use the seal. In my opinion you could run without the seal if the vent where stronger and didn't open so easy.

I just went for a drive... the bed to cab seal definitely keeps the vents closed! No more road or outside noise from the backseat! We are under a high wind warning, with 75mph gusts and still was mucho better than without the seal.

John: do you have a pic and part number for the sound pad? Or is that your own invention?

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome pictures. I just ordered the seal for my truck.

drumexpert

Reaction score
I just looked at my Rebel built in July. It has vertical rubber seals in the gap between cab and box on each side. Then in center area of truck is a horizontal rubber piece like 4' wide (I assume rubber, didn't get under to get close look) that blocks opening at lower cab/box gap to probably block the roar of road noise. If that seal is missing, no wonder road noise is coming in through those air vents. My Rebel was very quiet until I put on Magnaflow cat back system and that brought in some exhaust noise until you are level cruising.

I have a Rebel built in October. I have the side rubber seals, but the buttom one is missing. I always attributed the slight increase in road noise to the tires. But I must admit the road noise is slightly higher in my truck than the air suspension Rebel I test drive a few months before I purchased my truck.

Wonder why a $14 seal was omitted from the builts after September?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How difficult was it to install? Is there a part number available? I have an August build Limited and havent crawled under yet to check if I have it but if I dont I'm definitely buying one and installing.

Users who are viewing this thread