5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
My wipers make noise too. i guess it’s the wind noise you describe. I can’t tell.

I have a new clue in my road noise. I drove in the rain for a long distance and now the carpet under the left rear seat is wet. Something not sealed up.
I just picked my truck from the dealership that went in for a similar noise issue. Passing cars were much louder coming from the lower driver side back door area. My rear door was poorly aligned mostly at the bottom back corner which wasn’t sealing off completely. I’m amazed how much quieter it is now. It’s nice and quiet.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just picked my truck from the dealership that went in for a similar noise issue. Passing cars were much louder coming from the lower driver side back door area. My rear door was poorly aligned mostly at the bottom back corner which wasn’t sealing off completely. I’m amazed how much quieter it is now. It’s nice and quiet.
Glad you got it sorted out. You'll soon find that the interior is pretty quiet overall.

John Hable

Reaction score
I have a new 19 Ram Limited that was built in October also and it is extremely noisy from the rear seat when driving down the freeway. When you are driving it sounds like the sound is coming from the passenger rear door but if you set in the rear seat the noise is coming from behind the seat. This truck is way louder inside than my 15 Longhorn I traded in. I have an appointment in a few days to have it looked at. I am very disappointed with this truck so far. I wish I had my 15 Longhorn back.

bonebro

Reaction score
I have a new 19 Ram Limited that was built in October also and it is extremely noisy from the rear seat when driving down the freeway. When you are driving it sounds like the sound is coming from the passenger rear door but if you set in the rear seat the noise is coming from behind the seat. This truck is way louder inside than my 15 Longhorn I traded in. I have an appointment in a few days to have it looked at. I am very disappointed with this truck so far. I wish I had my 15 Longhorn back.

From the thread interesting finds behind the seat:
FDA3E7A4-304C-4472-B5A2-6ADF03910160.png
It is very easy to do this! Message me if you need any help. The biggest help was filling the hole under the seat with a towel.

John Hable

Reaction score
I had my wife drive me around also and I thought the same thing. I haven't stuffed any towel's in yet but I thought that would help also. I did find Ram deleted a seal that ran across the bottom of the front of the box that closed the gap between the box and the cab just below those vents. all truck built before 09/04/18 have the seal. I wonder if air coming up from the bottom of the truck is opening the vents going down the freeway. I cant believe when Ram was testing this truck in preproduction they thought all that road noise would be ok or did they delete a seal mid production not realizing what it was for so people with early truck have quiet cabs and people with later trucks have noisy cabs?

bonebro

Reaction score
I had my wife drive me around also and I thought the same thing. I haven't stuffed any towel's in yet but I thought that would help also. I did find Ram deleted a seal that ran across the bottom of the front of the box that closed the gap between the box and the cab just below those vents. all truck built before 09/04/18 have the seal. I wonder if air coming up from the bottom of the truck is opening the vents going down the freeway. I cant believe when Ram was testing this truck in preproduction they thought all that road noise would be ok or did they delete a seal mid production not realizing what it was for so people with early truck have quiet cabs and people with later trucks have noisy cabs?

I didn’t know about the seal. Mine doesn’t have the seal. But I noticed when I installed the tonneau cover the air was coming in the vents much more.

John Hable

Reaction score
I looked under my truck and the holes are there for the clips to put the seal on. after my service appointment next week if nothing changes I will buy my own seal and install it my self, if it helps I will let you know if not I will be buying a box of towels. I really like the truck itself but I have a long commute to work and I just cant stand the road noise anymore. My 15 Longhorn was way quieter on the highway.

bonebro

Reaction score
I looked under my truck and the holes are there for the clips to put the seal on. after my service appointment next week if nothing changes I will buy my own seal and install it my self, if it helps I will let you know if not I will be buying a box of towels. I really like the truck itself but I have a long commute to work and I just cant stand the road noise anymore. My 15 Longhorn was way quieter on the highway.

Yes please keep me posted! Have a great holiday

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
Do you have a part# for the seal?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this seal similar to the vertical rubber seals that you see when looking in to gap (between cab and box) from side? Any pictures of it ? Thanks

Nick814

Reaction score
I have a lot of outside noise coming in on my Laramie. Feels like back passenger door isnt closed all the way and/or window is not sealed well. Rest of the truck seems fine? Cant tell if its from the door (which both back doors dont seem to close too solid to me and am always turning back around to see if the closed) or if its from the back wall.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I have a lot of outside noise coming in on my Laramie. Feels like back passenger door isnt closed all the way and/or window is not sealed well. Rest of the truck seems fine? Cant tell if its from the door (which both back doors dont seem to close too solid to me and am always turning back around to see if the closed) or if its from the back wall.
My back doors are the same. They sounds hollow when I slam them shut. Sounds like the seals are not as tight as the front doors.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just looked at my Rebel built in July. It has vertical rubber seals in the gap between cab and box on each side. Then in center area of truck is a horizontal rubber piece like 4' wide (I assume rubber, didn't get under to get close look) that blocks opening at lower cab/box gap to probably block the roar of road noise. If that seal is missing, no wonder road noise is coming in through those air vents. My Rebel was very quiet until I put on Magnaflow cat back system and that brought in some exhaust noise until you are level cruising.

abbthe1

Reaction score
Did anyone have success with dealers resolving some of these noise issues?

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's always amazing to me that cabs are as quiet as they are given the amount of noise immediately outside the cab and hey small amount of insulating material used.

I've gone through a couple vehicles of mine in the past and deadened them the best I could. It's an interesting project. Some things work... Some don't.

I think there are three main types of materials to work with. Deadeners, diffusers, and resonance alteration materials. Ideally you use all three but it gets expensive and time consuming.

Personally I've found mass loaded vinyl to be the best at deadening wind noise. You can buy it online or at home Depot in large sheets. It's hard to use in vertical applications though given its weight.

Dynamat and other adhesive butyl rubber materails are great for reducing buzzing or that tin sound in cars/doors but dont much for road noise.

Tire noise is tricky. Hard to kill. Different tires are the biggest and best way to reduce this. Michelin defender LTX are wonderful for ride and noise but the off road looks aren't there. I've lined nearly an entire cab floor with MLV, diffuser mat, and dynamat with little effect on tire hum. I think it's largely because the vibration can travel through so much metal and come out in a lot of places.

If you find a spot that is problematic, give the MLV a try. Especially if you can slide it under carpet or something. It's heavy and hard to work with (especially in vertical applications), but it works.

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
Tried a bunch of stuff to clear the wind noise tonight I sealed around the rear window wth masking tape and the noise is gone, it was heaven. Now to get my terrible dealer to fix it. DFEC1019-E9D7-4CD2-BB6F-794AAC13A66A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread