5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road noise- interior

Reaction score
2019 1500 Limited with build date 10/20/2018.

Excessive road noise which is most noticeable at highway speeds. The cabin noise on this truck is clearly louder than the 2019 truck I test drove and my own previous truck.

Does anyone know how to test the active noise cancellation system?

Anyone else have cabin noise louder than expected?

Thanks in advance.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Mine is super quiet. Sorry i can't help on testing the active noise cancellation. But something sounds amiss if you think you can hear excessive road noise in your limited. It is one of the best features to hear almost nothing.
Not trying to make you feel badly, just giving you ammo for your investigation.... Mine is awkwardly quiet. People can't believe when I tell them I'm calling from the truck.

Reaction score
Mine is super quiet. Sorry i can't help on testing the active noise cancellation. But something sounds amiss if you think you can hear excessive road noise in your limited. It is one of the best features to hear almost nothing.
This is great news actually. Helps me know I’m my crazy.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score

Excessive road noise which is most noticeable at highway speeds. The cabin noise on this truck is clearly louder than the 2019 truck I test drove and my own previous truck.

Thanks in advance.
Is your sunroof shade open? I think mine is much quieter when the shade is closed

Reaction score
Is your sunroof shade open? I think mine is much quieter when the shade is closed
Yes! It is definitely louder with the shade open. I’m keeping the shade closed. My noise is behind the driver and feels down low. The Ram bins lack any sound insulation and they are thin and flimsy but I don’t think that’s it. The noise is louder than i think those bins would allow into the cabin.

grifodan67

Reaction score
My cab is very quiet... except for when the wipers at vertical. It seems I can hear them pushing the air over the top of the truck and moonroof. When I am driving and have the wipers on it is quiet, then whoosh, then quiet, then whoosh, repeat.

The_Chemist

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Do you have access to a sound pressure level meter? I'm going to check my Longhorn when I get a chance.

I saw a video on TFL Truck and they got 58 dB on the C scale when driving with the sunshade open at 65 mph in a Limited with off road group and sunshade open.

I do have a SPL meter, as I'm into audio.

If you have a smartphone, you can download an app for a SPL meter. Although it's not calibrated, you can get a ballpark reading.

abbthe1

Reaction score
I have somewhat of a similar issue. At times it gets noisier after 65mph. First thing, try pressing recirculate button. I read in the other forum that the vent does not fully close. So when AC is on and air blows through dashboard vents, try that. I did, and you can hear the difference. When the heat is on and air doesn't blow through front vents, the truck is much quieter.
The second is the weird one. I also have 2017 Tahoe and it behaves in a similar fashion. The Tahoe is quieter as a whole. The glass is thicker and it is insulated better, but some days it is louder at highway speeds. Maybe when its colder, I don't know. Some days its just more loud; exact same thing happens with RAM. Maybe these large vehicles' aerodynamics are more susceptible to environmental factors or maybe I am just hearing things.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I'm going to try and get out this weekend with my sound pressure level meter and take some measurements.

Around PA though, it'll have to be checked on different roads. Some road surfaces are noisier than others.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I think it would be important to include tires (size and brand) in this discussion, as it could be the main cause of excessive noise.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I think it would be important to include tires (size and brand) in this discussion, as it could be the main cause of excessive noise.
That's a great suggestion. It will make a difference. I have off road group with 33" Falken Wildpesk A/T tires which will be louder than an all season radial.

TFL Truck got 58 dB in my same setup going 55 mph.

Kidder

Reaction score
Mine is louder than the non-Off Road I test drove. On my next dealer visit, I plan on having them investigate. It sounds like it's coming from both pillars between the front and rear doors (both driver and passenger).

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Mine is louder than the non-Off Road I test drove. On my next dealer visit, I plan on having them investigate. It sounds like it's coming from both pillars between the front and rear doors (both driver and passenger).
Very frustrating with a brand new expensive vehicle. I'm not at all pleased with the assembly quality. I wonder if it is the assembly workers or Management, or both?

The design is good, just no quality putting it together!

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck seems pretty noisy up towards the rear of the pano sunroof. I downloaded a free decibel app (not sure how accurate it is, I may try another one to compare) and I have about 65 DB around town and 75 DB on the highway at 70mph. Anyone else try this and what are your readings?

How much of a difference is between 58DB and 75DB?

The_Chemist

Reaction score
As SpeedyV said the scale is logarithmic.

I measured mine last night when I had the truck out making a video of my dash noise. It was pretty windy here in the central PA area. None-the-less, my SPL meter read between 58 and 61 dBA when I was driving at 55 mph. That's not too bad at all. I have off road group with Falken Wildpesk A/T tires and left the panoramic headliner sunshade open. So I basically got what TFK truck got on their Limited with the same exact setup. Screenshot_20181121-184115_Photos.jpg

I found an image on Google that equates the levels to real world noises. I'll post it below.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if I am at 75dB at 70 mph I have a noisy cabin?

Users who are viewing this thread