5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rivian pictures

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Lot's of tube videos and reviews of this truck. Interesting e truck and will no doubt sell well. I'd rather have this over a Tesla any day. E motor on each wheel, fast as hell and some unique storage and camping options. I'll wait till all the bugs are worked out before ever considering a battery only truck.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A whole lot of folks bought a not-quite-full-size truck called the “Dakota”once upon a time, too.

I’m not interested in buying one until the size and range work for me, but I’m guessing it won’t be too many years before we have a lot of desirable options.
Yea kind of like the original Tundra was a Tweener truck.

fbatwork

Reaction score
The real question is can you put a large enough generator in the bed so that you can pull a loaded trailer and still get home?

It’s going to interesting to watch the development... I think it will be a while before I consider something electric given some of the more remote areas that I regularly drive. Love the electric motor torque though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The real question is can you put a large enough generator in the bed so that you can pull a loaded trailer and still get home?

It’s going to interesting to watch the development... I think it will be a while before I consider something electric given some of the more remote areas that I regularly drive. Love the electric motor torque though.

Lol, didn’t Top Gear do something like that?
Just googled, and yep, electric with diesel generator backup. It was a hilarious episode https://topgear.fandom.com/wiki/Hammerhead_Eagle_i-Thrust

BNJMN

Reaction score
I wondered if electric could really be ready for my needs before I ordered my Ram. So I called Rivian. They could not tell me where the chargers actually are in the state of Michigan nor how much cold weather towing (I'm a snowmobiler) will affect the range. So we aren't there yet with an electric that suits my truck needs; maybe in 15 years when I replace my 2022 Ram? I don't hate the looks of them, but they do look a bit feminine like that Honda wannabe truck imo.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really wish they would look like normal everyday trucks not so futuristic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You cannot charge and drive them at the same time. If the charger is connected ( to the stock charging port ) it locks out the motor and usually sets the parking brake. Stock, the only way you could charge it while driving would be to be towed by a truck while in regen. Could you hack up the wiring and scab on a generator, maybe.

I still to this day do now know why the most logical of PHEV ever of a small diesel PHEV pickup with power export hasn't been made. There's a reason diesel locomotive trains are driven by electric motors. Instant gobs of torque, and the ice engine runs staedy to provide continuous power output. Market the trucks as being able to provide onsite or emergency power backup and they'd sell like crazy. The only reason I think they haven't sold a PHEV truck is that it would annhilate the big diesel truck market that's the bread and butter of the entire car industry. The day a turbo 2.0 diesel PHEV could have 40-100 mile of EV range, and then put down 1000+lbs of torque and bag 40+mpg highway and 500-1000 miles of total range and they all die.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$2500 For their "blue Rivian paint"????? Who do they think they are, friggin Maybach?????
More Tesla like marketing. You want something other than white or silver, you pay. Main reason is they can hide paint defect easy with those colors. True colors and especially black show all imperfections.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
expensive color or vegan leather (aka plastic)... those early EV adopters have money enough to spend for that gimmick that the EV car is.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
expensive color or vegan leather (aka plastic)... those early EV adopters have money enough to spend for that gimmick that the EV car is.
Exactly. I've noticed that a lot of these electric/hybrid vehicles have vegan wood interior trim to make the planet savers feel better about their purchase. 🤣

ben b

Reaction score
Looks good, but too small of a bed for my taste.

I understand that Rivian wanted their truck to look mostly conventional. But it seems to me that they aren't taking full advantage of being electric. Seems like they could "Dump the Frunk" and move the cab forward. Then stretch the truck bed so it is full length.

It would look like an early 60s VW Transporter or Ford Ecoline. Back to the Future and all that.

I suppose the ride might not be as good and they would have to solve some safety issues for head-ons. But overall it would be a much more practical arrangement for people who really use a truck bed.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't the bed only about 4 1/2' long?
Yep, and I will be heart broken if the upcoming electric RAM has a bed shorter than 5’7”.

Bad Notch

Reaction score
HARD PASS.

The only way I would be 100% for electric is if you could charge it off the grid. Or, if it would charge from solar while it was driving. I don't trust the government enough to have complete control of the fuel source to my car. Parts of the country have rolling brown outs as it is... why in the hell would you want to have to plug into a failed system ???!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that Rivian wanted their truck to look mostly conventional. But it seems to me that they aren't taking full advantage of being electric. Seems like they could "Dump the Frunk" and move the cab forward. Then stretch the truck bed so it is full length.

It would look like an early 60s VW Transporter or Ford Ecoline. Back to the Future and all that.

I suppose the ride might not be as good and they would have to solve some safety issues for head-ons. But overall it would be a much more practical arrangement for people who really use a truck bed.
Canoo has something like that planned and I’m not really sure how I feel about it. Reminds me of the old willys that I used to see doing wheelies at the drag strip.
HARD PASS.

The only way I would be 100% for electric is if you could charge it off the grid. Or, if it would charge from solar while it was driving. I don't trust the government enough to have complete control of the fuel source to my car. Parts of the country have rolling brown outs as it is... why in the hell would you want to have to plug into a failed system ???!
Ummm, not following you there. Government controls our crude and the fuel sources to refine the crude.

Bad Notch

Reaction score
Canoo has something like that planned and I’m not really sure how I feel about it. Reminds me of the old willys that I used to see doing wheelies at the drag strip.

Ummm, not following you there. Government controls our crude and the fuel sources to refine the crude.

Right.. and the government can barely keep the lights on at the western seaboard... but everyone should drive electric cars.

Users who are viewing this thread