5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Right On Bracket

MonsterTaco

Reaction score
First, let me say thanks to all of you for the information here. I don't post/reply much, but I read a lot. Bought my truck in May with plans to get a tonneau cover before a Minnesota winter. Since that's right around the corner - and after lots of research - I decided on the Retrax Pro XR. Of course, that mean replacing my factory brackets with the ones from Right On Bracket. I got my brackets a week or two ago and the Retrax got delivered today, so it was finally time to get to work.

I installed the brackets tonight, but no matter how much I tried, I could not get the "extra" hole to line up with the other bolt that sits behind the factory bracket. (Sorry, although I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I don't know what to call this "other" bolt.) As you can see by the attached picture, the head of the bolt is through the hole, but the bracket still rests on the washer. Also, the bracket interfered a little with the bed cap (not a problem - I can trim that). Just wondering if anyone/everyone else that has installed these brackets had similar experiences? Did I do something wrong? (Yes, I made sure I had the brackets on the correct sides - the only way they would work.) Is this going to cause any sort of issue? I wouldn't think so, but want to be sure before I get the Retrax over the weekend.

Attachments

• Right On Bracket.jpg
    Right On Bracket.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 88

Techguy2000

Reaction score
I installed mine today and it looks exactly like yours. I trimmed a bit of the plastic on the passenger side bed cap and both brackets covered the washer of that fourth bolt. Maybe someday I'll take them off and atleast step drill the hole so the bracket can sit flush.

MonsterTaco

Reaction score
I installed mine today and it looks exactly like yours. I trimmed a bit of the plastic on the passenger side bed cap and both brackets covered the washer of that fourth bolt. Maybe someday I'll take them off and atleast step drill the hole so the bracket can sit flush.
Thanks for the response. I'm not too worried about it, but good to have some confirmation that I'm not the only one.

MonsterTaco

Reaction score
Great choice on a RETRAX...absolutely, without question, the best cover on the market!
I feel like I did more research on tonneau covers than the truck itself! Got it installed yesterday and already loving it. Now I gotta get my bed lights installed so I can see in there with it closed.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Mine lined up a little bit better but its not perfect. I don't think anyone who's gotten a set had it completely line up properly but RightOn makes it clear that there's all sorts of reasons this could be from spray in bed liners, to the box itself shifting, etc. In the long run I think you're fine. If it bothers you too much you could always swap out the bolt for something else that might fit better but I don't think there's too much of an issue there myself.

Skater

Reaction score
That particular hole simply provides room for the underneath bolt to protrude I believe. I was never concerned with that hole lining up because all of the load bearing holes into which I screwed bolts to hold the brackets in place all lined up for me. Here is a shot of my brackets from another thread.

1.JPG

MonsterTaco

Reaction score
Mine lined up a little bit better but its not perfect. I don't think anyone who's gotten a set had it completely line up properly but RightOn makes it clear that there's all sorts of reasons this could be from spray in bed liners, to the box itself shifting, etc. In the long run I think you're fine. If it bothers you too much you could always swap out the bolt for something else that might fit better but I don't think there's too much of an issue there myself.
That particular hole simply provides room for the underneath bolt to protrude I believe. I was never concerned with that hole lining up because all of the load bearing holes into which I screwed bolts to hold the brackets in place all lined up for me. Here is a shot of my brackets from another thread.

View attachment 70155
Thanks guys. I'm not too concerned now either. The load bearing holes lined up great for me too and now that the Retrax is installed, I'll probably never see those brackets again!

Users who are viewing this thread