5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Quality Ltd vs PW

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you remember the guy at HDRAMS who was so angry that when he pulled into his delivery sites that no one was gonna know he had a new truck

After we tirelessly explained every single change he continued how people would notice his doors.

Good times.

Which is extra funny considering the Ford has changed the least from an exterior styling in that last 15 years. Basically new grill and headlights. Borrrrring.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@silver billet post is mostly on point.

Do you own or have driven extensively a Cummins HO/Aisin?

I have.

The Cummins doesn't need all those gears - at most an 8 speed (ZF would be nice) but the Aisin is by no means a "joke" (current small batch K1 snap ring issue notwithstanding). My truck shifts smooth and pulls hard. The modern Gm built Allison is a joke and stands up to tunes no better than any others, the new 10-speeds in the Ford and Gm are a joke with recalls and constant gear hunting. They shift like a Jack F'ng Russell Terrier on speedballs. If Ram were to use an Allison it would no doubt be a real Allison 2000, not that GM built POS A1000. If the rumors hold true, we'll see an 8 or 9 speed ZF in 2025, possibly a mid year 24 release.

Who's "everyone" that says their Aisin shifts poorly? You're regurgitating old internet gossip from pre-19 truck owners and others like yourself that don't' actually own one. The current TCM code on the Aisin shifts smooth.

As posted, I just had a 1500 loaner for a week. The doors felt tinny and weak compared to my "ancient' 4th gen cab. Rattles when closed.

The frame issue is non-existent, again you're just regurgitating internet rumor mill BS. That truck (and some others) was grossly overloaded. It also broke in Baja. Most of them were also welded on improperly. There's plenty of F-xxx trucks and others with broken backs from excess overloading.

"Laughing stock?" Hardly. What are all the hotshots driving?
I agree with the doors feel weak and not shut properly on the 5th gen 1500 compared to the HDs.
I had the 68RFE and had no complaints.
One big complaint was talken care of with the CP4 fuel pump (2019) with the new ones. I was am still am a Cummins fan… but ain’t gonna lie, I feel they pulled one over on me.

The other complaint I had is how I had had to adjust the driver seat. The lack of telescoping steering wheel messed with my comfort, right knee hitting the 4WD panel. This is not an issue with the 1500.

As soon as RAM updates the the cab… at least telescoping steering wheel I’m back.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My comments on the HD trucks are shared among many Mopar enthusiasts on other forums. So we shouldn't pretend that I'm alone in being upset that Stellantis is running the U.S. brands into the ground. My choice in vehicle has nothing to do with the fact that the Ram HD trucks are sorely overdue for a ground-up refresh.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From 1972 to 1993 DOdge Trucks remained virtually unchanged...

The engines followed along until the Magnum engines came out in 91.

I do not think Dodge/RAM really cares about keeping up with the Jones's

Heck, the Classic still keeps going...

Atleast we have not had anyone still losing their mind over the loss of the cross hair grille...

If you consider the 4th/4.5 Gen Timeline in relation to the PowerWagon/Power RAM years...get excited about the holdout in 2031

Good times

Attachments

• index.jpeg
    index.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2018-09-15 18.38.18.jpg
    2018-09-15 18.38.18.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200812_200213.jpg
    20200812_200213.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 8

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My comments on the HD trucks are shared among many Mopar enthusiasts on other forums. So we shouldn't pretend that I'm alone in being upset that Stellantis is running the U.S. brands into the ground. My choice in vehicle has nothing to do with the fact that the Ram HD trucks are sorely overdue for a ground-up refresh.
They just gave it a new hood and new mirrors.... since the last mirrors came out in 98 at least another 20 years now...😁

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Isn't the limited a 1500 and the PW a 2500? I have a 21 BTS which is just a bighorn with the off road package and rides like no other vehicle I ever owned. Smooth as glass and very comfortable. The power wagon has a different suspension and won't be anywhere close to any 1500 in my opinion

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't the limited a 1500 and the PW a 2500? I have a 21 BTS which is just a bighorn with the off road package and rides like no other vehicle I ever owned. Smooth as glass and very comfortable. The power wagon has a different suspension and won't be anywhere close to any 1500 in my opinion

While not abundantly clear, the Limited the OP is talking about is a 1500. "Limited" is available in both platforms. 1500 and 2500/3500.

Also FWIW, OP has been trolling this forum for 2 years saying he's moving from his Audi to a pickup. I have to wonder if it isn't a long haul troll. :unsure:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
While not abundantly clear, the Limited the OP is talking about is a 1500. "Limited" is available in both platforms. 1500 and 2500/3500.

Also FWIW, OP has been trolling this forum for 2 years saying he's moving from his Audi to a pickup. I have to wonder if it isn't a long haul troll. :unsure:
Ok lol

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

One thing that doesn't get all that much mention in transmission comparisons (6 vs 10 from gm/ford) is the the cummins is an undersquare engine design, its stroke is longer than its bore which means it has that mechanical advantage in making more torque. Not necessarily "peak torque", that 1000+ pounds that everybody likes to focus on, but useable torque under the curve. That's why it has such a strong reputation for pulling power, whereas the other 2 v8's from gm/ford are quicker off the line. That higher torque from the cummins means in theory you can get away with less gears. I haven't towed with a 4.5 gen or a 10 speed from the other 2 so I can't compare them, but the point is sometimes we focus on paper specs and not the actual experience in the seat.

As for the changes from the 4th gen, I stumbled back on this video today. It's a completely different take on the 4.5 gen HD rams from a guy who knows the dodge/cummins platform inside out and builds his trucks up etc. It may not change your mind, but it appears the changes are quite extensive.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that doesn't get all that much mention in transmission comparisons (6 vs 10 from gm/ford) is the the cummins is an undersquare engine design, its stroke is longer than its bore which means it has that mechanical advantage in making more torque. Not necessarily "peak torque", that 1000+ pounds that everybody likes to focus on, but useable torque under the curve. That's why it has such a strong reputation for pulling power, whereas the other 2 v8's from gm/ford are quicker off the line. That higher torque from the cummins means in theory you can get away with less gears. I haven't towed with a 4.5 gen or a 10 speed from the other 2 so I can't compare them, but the point is sometimes we focus on paper specs and not the actual experience in the seat.

As for the changes from the 4th gen, I stumbled back on this video today. It's a completely different take on the 4.5 gen HD rams from a guy who knows the dodge/cummins platform inside out and builds his trucks up etc. It may not change your mind, but it appears the changes are quite extensive.

Except he's wrong (or extremely unclear) about the 3500 having an Aisin and an optional HO. Makes it sound like the Aisin is standard in the 3500 and it's not.

The 3500 SO has the 68RFE just like the 2500. The HO option adds the Aisin (Chassis Cab trucks also get the Aisin for both Cummins (AS69RC) and Hemi (AS66RC).

Mo381

Reaction score
In 2016 I went from a 2012 Ram Bighorn 1500 to a 2016 Ram Laramie 2500 with the 6.7 CTD to pull our camper 31' 8800 lbs. While the 2012 1500 drove and rode great the 2500 towed so much better and had nicer features because of the trim level. We sold the camper in 2020 so for the last several years I only towed a 16' utility trailer and our boat, neither weigh more that 6K lbs.
Lately I had been looking for a 1500 truck again, mainly due to the cost of diesel and the ride quality. I traded last weekend for a 2019 Laramie 1500, the comparison in ride and quietness was a huge factor. I will note that the 2500 had rear airbags so I can't compare with the coil spring version of the 2500, but unless you are towing heavy and often I would go with the 1500.
The average mpg combined should be about the same and while I got great mileage in the 2500 on the highway I think the difference in fuel price will make the 1500 cheaper to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread