5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Quality 4x4 vs 4x4 off road package

Tmcb

Reaction score
Curious if anyone can tell me if in normal driving conditions is there a difference in the smoothness between the off road package and the regular 4x4? I would think it would be stiffer in the off road package.

sgk

Reaction score
I didn't really test drive before I bought so I can't tell you how it compares. I have the off road package and although it's a smooth vehicle I think it's a little stiff. Drives just like my wife's GC summit.
Others have compaired them to European luxury cars but not sure mine would fall under that category

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the off road package and it is extremely smooth.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the off road package and it is extremely smooth.
Agreed. From 16' with air ride to 19' with Rebel coil off road, night and day. Slow clap for the men and women that re-engineered the suspension for 2019. (y)

Rupbre

Reaction score
Coming from a 16' F150, this ride is incredibly smooth with the off road package. Quiet. I enjoy it more everytime I drive it.

Tmcb

Reaction score
The leveling kit makes a difference in the ride. I drove the limited off road pack for several days with the air suspension and it was much smoother. Now I am not saying the longhorn off road is a bad ride. It is not. But it Is not as comfortable as one without. My ‘17 had a nicer ride without the off road.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The leveling kit makes a difference in the ride. I drove the limited off road pack for several days with the air suspension and it was much smoother. Now I am not saying the longhorn off road is a bad ride. It is not. But it Is not as comfortable as one without. My ‘17 had a nicer ride without the off road.
I disagree my 2017 ride was not as nice as my 2019 ride with the off road package

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no comparison in ride quality between the 2017 and 2019 whether it has the Off-Road or not, the 2019 rides better unequivocally. Now the Off-Road is slightly more stiff than the standard 2019, but neither is rough or uncomfortable and both are better than any 2017.
I agree my 2019 with the off road package is more smoother of a ride then my 2017

MachoDonut

Reaction score
I didn't notice a dramatic difference between what I test drove and the off road package that I bought. It is definitely smoother than my father in law's '18 Silverado High Country.

myram2019

Reaction score
Those of you that have the Off road Package for a while now, do you have any pros, cons or any comment about getting the ORP?

runamuck

Reaction score
I went from a 2017 gmc sierra slt 4x4 ccsb with off road and just about everything else to my 2019 ram 1500 laramie 4x4 ccsb with the off road and sport pkg. stuff and it rides quite a bit smoother and handles much better. the coil springs, bigger brakes and quicker steering make it less truck like and more fun to drive than the gmc was but I didnt test drive one without the off road suspension so cant tell you if there is much difference. I have added a stiffer Hellwig sway bar to the rear and it still rides great.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
My Rebel rides smoother than my 14 F150 did,

Rebel doesn't have air suspension and
Said F150 didn't have off road suspension.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those of you that have the Off road Package for a while now, do you have any pros, cons or any comment about getting the ORP?

None. If I had to buy another truck, I would buy the option again. With a quick and inexpensive 2” level, it looks aggressive and sets it apart from other trucks without sacrificing ride quality. You get protection with skid plates and a locking differential making the truck very capable off pavement.

Tmcb

Reaction score
Curious if anyone can tell me if in normal driving conditions is there a difference in the smoothness between the off road package and the regular 4x4? I would think it would be stiffer in the off road package.
I owned a 2017 4x4 regular and traded it for the 2019 4x4 and it included the off road package. The price on it was several thousand less from the dealership so I took advantage of it.

At first, I didn't notice a difference but as I drove it more I can tell its not as smooth of a ride, certainly not rough though. You feel the smaller bumps what I do not like is the gas mileage. Average is 17 with etorque

mrbuck

Reaction score
I just went from a 2014 Ram 4x4 Express 1500 to a 19 Lone Star 1500 with the off road package,the new one is hands down smoother riding even with the falken all terrain tires.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went from a 2017 gmc sierra slt 4x4 ccsb with off road and just about everything else to my 2019 ram 1500 laramie 4x4 ccsb with the off road and sport pkg. stuff and it rides quite a bit smoother and handles much better. the coil springs, bigger brakes and quicker steering make it less truck like and more fun to drive than the gmc was but I didnt test drive one without the off road suspension so cant tell you if there is much difference. I have added a stiffer Hellwig sway bar to the rear and it still rides great.
Does the Hellwig rear bar make much difference in handling feel? Would it restrict wheel travel if offroad from stock? Does it make curves feel flat for body roll? Thanks

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You feel the smaller bumps what I do not like is the gas mileage. Average is 17 with etorque

17 is pretty damned good... I'm in the 15 range with almost all highway miles

Users who are viewing this thread