5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride Comfort 18" wheels Vs. 20" wheels

DeanM2

Reaction score
I really don't like the look of the 20" wheels that came with my truck. They are all black, which I hate, and I don't like the look of "big" wheels. So I want to go with 18" wheels.
If you have some relevant experience here, don't the 18" wheels, which result in more side wall length, result in a somewhat "better" ride? They have more sidewall length which should result in more ability to absorb bad road surfaces. Correct? Meaning, all other things being equal; same tire brand and pattern and size, shouldn't the 18" wheel result in a better ride?

Wirerat

Reaction score
If you swapped to an oem 18 with oem tire. It would be little more floaty. You would loose a small amount of handling as trade off.

If you make an other changes though the results can go the other way. Offset, weight and width would need to be close to your current wheels.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All else being equal, the 18" wheel/tire combo will be a little heavier and softer and transfer a little less of the sharp edges of the road to the suspension, but it's not much. Also maybe useful to some, the sidewalls will tend to stick out past the wheel a little farther, maybe prevent some curb rash.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I know it’s not fully apples to apples but I went from 37s on 20s to 37s on 18s and wow the 18s ride so much better. They absorb bumps a lot better and feel softer

Wirerat

Reaction score
I know it’s not fully apples to apples but I went from 37s on 20s to 37s on 18s and wow the 18s ride so much better.

Probably why the rebel/TRX is on 18s from the factory. Those LT tires have much stiffer sidewall.

DeanM2

Reaction score
I know it’s not fully apples to apples but I went from 37s on 20s to 37s on 18s and wow the 18s ride so much better. They absorb bumps a lot better and feel softer
That is what I was expecting/hoping to hear. :)

Users who are viewing this thread