5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Riddle me this!

tjsadler

Reaction score
If you're replacing brakes completely every 25k miles then you might need to adjust your driving habits in general. I had Brembos on my STI and they lasted ~120k miles and I did NOT baby that car and competed in SCCA Autocross events ~6-8 times a year. Do you have a wooden leg that is constantly pushing on your brake? And, yes, performance brakes are more expensive but also allow you a lot more options for pads/rotors that fit your particular use case and if you shop around there are normally a LOT cheaper options for replacement.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
If you're replacing brakes completely every 25k miles then you might need to adjust your driving habits in general. I had Brembos on my STI and they lasted ~120k miles and I did NOT baby that car and competed in SCCA Autocross events ~6-8 times a year. Do you have a wooden leg that is constantly pushing on your brake? And, yes, performance brakes are more expensive but also allow you a lot more options for pads/rotors that fit your particular use case and if you shop around there are normally a LOT cheaper options for replacement.

Nonsense, you might need to adjust your sense of reality, suuuurrre you went 120K. What do you take us for

You know who remembers when to replace brakes, Pepperidge Farm remembers! Brake replacement for a vehicle is every 30K and some 50K.

Is that the case for every driver? Of course not. Living in the hills, city, Highway, all influence maintenance. You must have been driving in space where there is no gravity and minimal resistance to brake wear . . . . any chance you were visited by space proctologists? Asking for a friend

3EE219D4-6C5A-44AD-ACCD-9C616F5AB72B.png

tjsadler

Reaction score
I’m currently driving a Rav 4. 96,000 miles and have about half the pads left. Perhaps you’re driving in Jupiter’s gravity? Even if you’re wearing out pads in 50,000 you don’t likely need rotors. If you’re wearing that quickly you likely have a pretty soft pad compound so your rotors should be wearing less. Either way, enjoy not driving the performance car and stick to the Honda I guess.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I’m currently driving a Rav 4. 96,000 miles and have about half the pads left. Perhaps you’re driving in Jupiter’s gravity? Even if you’re wearing out pads in 50,000 you don’t likely need rotors. If you’re wearing that quickly you likely have a pretty soft pad compound so your rotors should be wearing less. Either way, enjoy not driving the performance car and stick to the Honda I guess.

I will and the extra coin in my pocket :)

NDanecker

Reaction score
The TRX uses the same calipers and pads as the normal (DT) Ram 1500. Rotors are thicker but otherwise brakes are the same. Not Brembo. Pricing will be in line with normal 1500 brakes.
If true this kind of stinks. FCA should at least offer a Brembo or other upgrade for these trucks. You have extra weight and larger diameter tires so you will need more clamping pressure to stop the vehicle. If you drive it normal and not track it ( which this truck is not designed for) I feel you will be fine. Brakes won't heat up like they do with track use. However, an option would be nice for people who drive a little bit more .... spirited. This way the buyer can decide if the stock brakes are OK or if they choose to upgrade. I bet this gets offered in future models.

Curious - what does the Raptor do for brakes? Stock F150 or upgraded?

gsxrdoug

Reaction score
I think the Raptor has stock brakes, but there are a TON of aftermarket brakes even Big Brake upgrades for that beast, which hopefully the TRX will be able to man handle.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the Raptor has stock brakes, but there are a TON of aftermarket brakes even Big Brake upgrades for that beast, which hopefully the TRX will be able to man handle.
You are correct. It does have stock brakes, which work just fine slowing those big tires down from speed. And there are BBK upgrades for it as well, except they are very limited due to the 17" wheel on the Raptor. Not sure what size is coming on the TRX

bwsRam19

Reaction score
Just got on rock auto, 56.79 for front pads(powerstop), 45.89 for rear pads(powerstop). So I could change the brakes on this car for around $150 tax, shipping, etc.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Here she is

she flies too, has tons of room, great in the snow, and a ball to drive @30mpg even when you go 80mph

I know, I know .... Honda .... believe me I too was a snob but since we are car people just thought I’d share. Nothing to prove.

I was spending $500 in gas a month on my commute with the Laramie (which My family and I love) and this car was $25K - total bargain

As sexy as a Honda could ever aspire to be

And to see her giddy up

Fast forward to 6:15

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here she is

she flies too, has tons of room, great in the snow, and a ball to drive @30mpg even when you go 80mph

I know, I know .... Honda .... believe me I too was a snob but since we are car people just thought I’d share. Nothing to prove.

I was spending $500 in gas a month on my commute with the Laramie (which My family and I love) and this car was $25K - total bargain

As sexy as a Honda could ever aspire to be

And to see her giddy up

Fast forward to 6:15

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of that body style (mostly the rear). I think the previous generation was better looking overall. But I definitely dig that you went for the 6MT!
il_570xN.1574833753_kpur.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread