5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Riddle me this!

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Hey all,

I “stumbled” onto a wide body challenger and out of WTF asked what they would offer for my 2019 Honda Accord 2.0 turbo 6spd. They offered what I paid for it so I was getting ready to sign up for the Challenger and be the newest member to the duo Hemi club when I asked the service center out of curiosity what those brembos cost to replace.

$3500 in parts alone for brakes all around. The rotors on the front are $990 each! No labor included in that price

I’ve owned some pricey cars but that’s F* insane

total deal breaker. I’m wondering if it will be the same case for the TRX as I don’t recall if they put the brembos on the front. But some googling I found the 4 pistons for $1700 in parts but I was after the 6pistons .....

what the heck was FCA thinking?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all,

I “stumbled” onto a wide body challenger and out of WTF asked what they would offer for my 2019 Honda Accord 2.0 turbo 6spd. They offered what I paid for it so I was getting ready to sign up for the Challenger and be the newest member to the duo Hemi club when I asked the service center out of curiosity what those brembos cost to replace.

$3500 in parts alone for brakes all around. The rotors on the front are $990 each! No labor included in that price

total deal breaker. I’m wondering if it will be the same case for the TRX as I don’t recall if they put the brembos on the front. But some googling I found the 4 pistons for $1700 in parts but I was after the 6pistons .....

Dealer parts are always more expensive. Aftermarket you can get for half that price

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Shoot, if I had the extra funds right now I'd love to have a Charger 392 to run around in. They are pretty inexpensive for what they are and if I remember the Charger is also a bit quicker than the Challenger stock for stock. I did really love my Camaro SS though, but not enough room for a family of 4. It's too bad they don't offer the Charger in a manual 6 or 7 speed.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Never going to track it. I have a 120 mile round trip to work that I only have to make once or twice a week these days. It’s long wide open curves and low traffic - $1700 just for parts is still pretty nuts - not sure if the 2018 parts fit the 2020 ... might be why they are discount (?)

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Shoot, if I had the extra funds right now I'd love to have a Charger 392 to run around in. They are pretty inexpensive for what they are and if I remember the Charger is also a bit quicker than the Challenger stock for stock. I did really love my Camaro SS though, but not enough room for a family of 4. It's too bad they don't offer the Charger in a manual 6 or 7 speed.

Exactly - I though it would be balls out fun plus having the retro vintage look with a warranty and heated seats, sign me up!

I could stomach the brake costs if they didn’t have to be changed for 50k but where I live, it’s usually every 25-30k miles

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep...way better centered weight in the charger.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all,

OEM parts are always expensive. Even more so from the local dealer (usually). My son's Daytona 392 has the same big 6 piston brakes. Over 30k on them and they have plenty of life left still. When it comes time to replace them, Centric makes a 1-piece replacement rotor that is under $50/ea or DBA makes replacement iron rings that bolt to the OEM aluminum hub for about $300/pr. There are plenty of good, less expensive pads and rear rotors as well. Also, changing rotors/pads is very easy. Do it yourself and save even more $$. Cost effective solutions are out there, you just have to look for them. I'm sure the TRX will be similar, but it may take the aftermarket a bit to produce quality alternatives.
Screenshot_20200923-161337_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think I'd fret about maintenance costs unless it was an exotic or brand I couldn't repair myself - that said, I'm certified and do my repairs and maintenance on time, rotors and brakes are the least of your worries

bwsRam19

Reaction score
Hey all,

So financing fell through and this was the excuse:ROFLMAO:

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Hey if you have the time to do your own brakes, that’s awesome. I don’t at this point. There’s a million other things I’d rather do. I’ve done it before, a long time ago and it would require likely new tools and a learning curve.

I was anticipating maybe $1200-1500 which I could get behind. The driving season for that car is roughly 6-7 months.

showing up at any auto service center with my own parts etc not sure how that would go over

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey if you have the time to do your own brakes, that’s awesome. I don’t at this point. There’s a million other things I’d rather do. I’ve done it before, a long time ago and it would require likely new tools and a learning curve.

I was anticipating maybe $1200-1500 which I could get behind. The driving season for that car is roughly 6-7 months.

showing up at any auto service center with my own parts etc not sure how that would go over
There's plenty of things I'd rather do too. One of them is not throw thousands away unnecessarily by doing very easy stuff myself. Another is not to freak out about maintenance costs on an expensive car. Plenty of service centers will install customer supplied parts. Again, you just have to do some research and find one.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
There's plenty of things I'd rather do too. One of them is not throw thousands away unnecessarily by doing very easy stuff myself. Another is not to freak out about maintenance costs on an expensive car. Plenty of service centers will install customer supplied parts. Again, you just have to do some research and find one.

I agree with you entirely. I just have too many competing demands to spend even one day devoted to a brake job right now. But I suppose that could change. Its still absurdly expensive regardless at least in my mind

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with you entirely. I just have too many competing demands to spend even one day devoted to a brake job right now. But I suppose that could change. Its still absurdly expensive regardless at least in my mind
Oh I agree, the cost you were quoted is absurd. But if that's seriously the only thing stopping you from pulling the trigger, I'd still get it. You won't need brakes for quite a while, and it's something you can plan ahead for and either find a friendly independent shop or set aside some time (in a few years) to do it. I don't think you'd regret the purchase. I didn't see if you said it was a 392 or a Hellcat, but my 392 was a lot of fun (my son is now having a lot of fun with it too) and I had zero trouble with it over 3 years.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Oh I agree, the cost you were quoted is absurd. But if that's seriously the only thing stopping you from pulling the trigger, I'd still get it. You won't need brakes for quite a while, and it's something you can plan ahead for and either find a friendly independent shop or set aside some time (in a few years) to do it. I don't think you'd regret the purchase. I didn't see if you said it was a 392 or a Hellcat, but my 392 was a lot of fun (my son is now having a lot of fun with it too) and I had zero trouble with it over 3 years.

That’s excellent advice. Thank you. Of course it’s a 392!

Users who are viewing this thread