5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revolver X2/X4 or Truxedo Sentry/CT?

Revolver X2/X4 or Truxedo Sentry/CT or Gator HR1

• Total voters

grimloktt

Reaction score
Would you recommend the Revolver X2/X4 or Truxedo Sentry/CT? I'm on the fence between them...

Last edited:

Flot

Reaction score
It'll be hard finding people that can compare them directly - I just installed a Sentry CT and I'd say the appearance and fit was great.

Security-wise, I'd have to give it a C-. I can definitely lift the back of the cover enough to get my hand in there. If I wasn't worried about damaging the cover, using anything to pry it up will let you in. Of course, that's probably true of MOST tonneaus.

Canikickit87

Reaction score
I had the Revolver X2 on my 2015 Outdoorsman and I now have the Sentry CT on my 2019 Big Horn. In my opinion the Sentry CT is better in every way. I can remove the cover completely without tools when I transport my ATV and there are no intrusive latches for me to bang into when loading stuff in and out of the box. The Matte finish is also very premium looking and does not seem to be as hard to keep clean and nice looking. Hope this helps, ask away if you have any other questions

agjr85

Reaction score
I have the X4 in my office waiting for install. I looked up so many covers that I think I can sell them.

Sentry CT was my first choice and then it fell apart when I found out you couldn't open/close the tailgate w/o having to relatch the cover. I find that annoying and if my wife or someone else is grabbing something I don't' want to have to give them training on how to properly close so the cover can seal. Plus the velcro is kind of meh.. IMO

I looked at the Retrax, really sold on it but I saw in person the space lost by the canister and that simply pushed me away. Plus it had the handle on one side only. Didn't like having to use another key to lock it.

The X2/X4, very similar to Sentry but does allow you to open/close the tailgate w/o having to mess with the cover. Instead of velcro along the rails, it latches with a metal piece along the rail.

Other than that I think both the X4/X2 and Sentry are pretty similar, both lo-pro, hard roll-up which gives you full bed access.

To me popping off the cover wasn't important, as long as it rolls up and still provides visibility out the back windows was key for me.

Got mine for $860 shipped.

Canikickit87

Reaction score
I have the X4 in my office waiting for install. I looked up so many covers that I think I can sell them.

Sentry CT was my first choice and then it fell apart when I found out you couldn't open/close the tailgate w/o having to relatch the cover. I find that annoying and if my wife or someone else is grabbing something I don't' want to have to give them training on how to properly close so the cover can seal. Plus the velcro is kind of meh.. IMO

I looked at the Retrax, really sold on it but I saw in person the space lost by the canister and that simply pushed me away. Plus it had the handle on one side only. Didn't like having to use another key to lock it.

The X2/X4, very similar to Sentry but does allow you to open/close the tailgate w/o having to mess with the cover. Instead of velcro along the rails, it latches with a metal piece along the rail.

Other than that I think both the X4/X2 and Sentry are pretty similar, both lo-pro, hard roll-up which gives you full bed access.

To me popping off the cover wasn't important, as long as it rolls up and still provides visibility out the back windows was key for me.

Got mine for $860 shipped.

I guess the metal latching on the Revolver is probably more secure than velcro... and I did like the ease of being able to open and close my tailgate without having to re latch my cover. In the end I think I just wanted to try something different and I retract my statement about the Sentry CT being better in every way lol... I had forgotten the perks of the Revolver.

I guess they all have pro's and con's, just gotta pick the cons you can live with ;) :)

agjr85

Reaction score
I guess the metal latching on the Revolver is probably more secure than velcro... and I did like the ease of being able to open and close my tailgate without having to re latch my cover. In the end I think I just wanted to try something different and I retract my statement about the Sentry CT being better in every way lol... I had forgotten the perks of the Revolver.

I guess they all have pro's and con's, just gotta pick the cons you can live with ;) :)

Yea the CT has those latches at certain points to make it secure, which is neat. The revolver just has it from end to end.

Honestly, most of these covers are all the same, Truck Hero owns most of them and they just change up things here and there.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Does the Revolver x4 come out completely without tools like the Sentry ct? Anyone know of a direct comparison photo of the two?

The main thing that's killing me about the Sentry is not being able to close the tailgate w it closed. I think I like the woven material better though. I need to find a place where I can touch both of them...

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Yeah, I was watching an install video. Looks like you need to undo 4 bolts to take it off...

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Sorry for the bump on such an old thread but didn’t want to make a new one.

How is everyone liking the Sentry CT after some time? Issues with the fabric staining/having trouble cleaning it. With the rebate right now I like the cover but wondering if some 303 on the Vinyl top of the Sentry maybe just as easy. Also not sold on how it will look (CT), on a black truck.

Flot

Reaction score
My Sentry CT is coming up on a year in South Florida sun.

No issues with the finish - about a month in, I did treat it with 303 protectant (the same stuff I used on cloth convertible tops in the past). I haven't checked recently, soon after application it would bead water for a while but after 15-20 mins of hard rain it would start soaking in, which to be honest is the exact same experience I had with german convertibles.

The only problem I had - the cable going to one of the center release snapped on mine early in my ownership, but rather than fix I just put a zip tie through the latch on that side and I'll just pull that one in manually when rolling it up. Oh and once I managed to lock my key in the bed (don't ask) and I WAS able to pry up the back enough to get my hand in and unlatch it, but it took a good 5 mins even knowing exactly what I was reaching for.

No appearance complaints. I roll it up every once in a while to haul things but 28 days a month it stays flat and it does bake in the sun without issue. If I get 3-5 years out of it I'll be happy. I have managed to transport all manner of things - everything from a pallet of pavers to trees to a motorcyle - without ever having to remove it all the way which for me is a huge win vs a tri-fold.

I'm pretty picky but all things considered, I'd buy it again.

Last edited:

grimloktt

Reaction score
Mine is working out good. I adjusted it and also applied tailgate seal and my bed stays dry after rain. When adjusting it I did request new foam tailgate pieces from manufacturer and it was like pulling teeth. I'd hate to see what I would have to go through if serious problem...

I too am OCD and am pleased with it.

That said, if they made it for rambox trucks, I would instead buy peragon cover. Not water proof but had on my F150 and it's great.

Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
My Sentry CT is coming up on a year in South Florida sun.

No issues with the finish - about a month in, I did treat it with 303 protectant (the same stuff I used on cloth convertible tops in the past). I haven't checked recently, soon after application it would bead water for a while but after 15-20 mins of hard rain it would start soaking in, which to be honest is the exact same experience I had with german convertibles.

The only problem I had - the cable going to one of the center release snapped on mine early in my ownership, but rather than fix I just put a zip tie through the latch on that side and I'll just pull that one in manually when rolling it up. Oh and once I managed to lock my key in the bed (don't ask) and I WAS able to pry up the back enough to get my hand in and unlatch it, but it took a good 5 mins even knowing exactly what I was reaching for.

No appearance complaints. I roll it up every once in a while to haul things but 28 days a month it stays flat and it does bake in the sun without issue. If I get 3-5 years out of it I'll be happy. I have managed to transport all manner of things - everything from a pallet of pavers to trees to a motorcyle - without ever having to remove it all the way which for me is a huge win vs a tri-fold.

I'm pretty picky but all things considered, I'd buy it again.

Thanks for the reply, regarding security I’ve quickly come to realize that these hardcovers are always going to require more effort, but none will be 100% secure. Video on YouTube of the Revolver also being defeated pretty easily with a pry bar. Lomax also wouldn’t stand a chance against a pry bar. Maybe the retractable covers would be most secure, but in a 5’7” bed too much to sacrifice IMO.

And if special tools/knowledge are required for entry it’s at least as secure as the cab is, so I’ve accepted that you really shouldn’t put something in the bed you wouldn’t feel comfortable locking in the cab out of sight.

Last edited:

Bigdaveincali

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, regarding security I’ve quickly come to realize that these hardcovers are always going to require more effort, but none will be 100% secure. Video on YouTube of the Revolver also being defeated pretty easily with a pry bar. Lomax also wouldn’t stand a chance against a pry bar. Maybe the retractable covers would be most secure, but in a 5’7” bed too much to sacrifice IMO.

And if special tools/knowledge are required for entry it’s at least as secure as the cab is, so I’ve accepted that you really shouldn’t put something in the bed you wouldn’t feel comfortable locking in the cab out of sight.
Check out Diamondback covers

Ram92131

Reaction score
I have had my Sentry CT for around a year and have been very happy with it. The only issue I have with it is that the front latches (up by the cab) are pretty sticky and hard to slide when I remove the cover entirely. I’m not sure why other people are saying that you have to latch/relatch the cover when opening or closing the tailgate. I don’t have to do that with mine and I don’t see any reason why you’d need to.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread here -

Just installed a Sentry CT cover on my truck Saturday. I love everything about it, but....it rained yesterday and I was surprised to see water leaking in at the top corners of the bed and some areas of the bulkhead. I installed the bulkhead seal exactly how it was instructed, and the rails are lined up as perfect as they can get. Is anyone else experiencing this?

bed 1.jpg

bed 2.jpg

bed 3.jpg

Does anything look off here? Once it stops raining I am going to check to see if any sunlight peeking in from the corners.

I know bed covers are never 100% waterproof, but I expected better...

Last edited:

NWRogue

Reaction score
We had a pretty good rain last night, and wind. I have a little water in all 4 corners. Here's how mine looks at the front. Honestly, I'm not sure you will get it completely water tight.

IMG_0271.jpg IMG_0272.jpg IMG_0273.jpg

CPenn1086

Reaction score
We had a pretty good rain last night, and wind. I have a little water in all 4 corners. Here's how mine looks at the front. Honestly, I'm not sure you will get it completely water tight.

View attachment 71522 View attachment 71523 View attachment 71524

Thats fine, just want to make sure it is normal. I love the cover so I will mess around with it and add some more weather-stripping foam to seal some of the gaps.

Obviously the beds are made to get wet, but could standing water in the bed without exposure to sunlight (to dry) cause issues down the road? Or am I overthinking this? lol

Users who are viewing this thread