5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review/thoughts after one year of ownership.

@733

Reaction score
So I have now had my RAM 1500 Limited for one year, and felt that I have now enough experience with the 5th Gen RAMs to provide some legitimate feedback. I know others have done this as well, but I am hopeful that these types of reviews will serve to educate other future/potential owners. Here are my thoughts after one year of ownership:

Initial Summary: A resounding Yes. Although the final price tag to get all the options I wanted may have been more than I would have wanted to pay, the same can be said about any manufacturer. However, I wanted what I wanted, and the price was the price. This was my first RAM truck, after a half dozen trucks from both of the other two manufacturers (which we will not name here as this review is about my RAM). I was hesitant before purchasing it due to common misconceptions about the brand, but I test drove the other 3 leading competitors, and the 5th Gen RAM blew them away. I was looking mainly for creature comforts/driving experience, and I have not been disappointed with my ultimate choice to this day. I know there are others on this forum who have strong opinions otherwise, but I am pleasantly surprised with the overall fuel economy (see attached photo). Almost 22,000 miles driven, and I am averaging 18.8 MPG. I would not have believed that a 5.7L, heavy vehicle such as this would achieve a final MPG such as that. My daily travel is mostly rural highway (two-lane, 50-55 MPH speed limits) with about 25% suburban driving, in traffic and with stoplights.

What I love:
The drive. The interior. The huge center console. The RAMboxes. The 12” screen. The headlights (others do to, as they often flash their own at me in obvious approval).

Things I thought I would make more use of than I actually do:
The storage bins in the floor – one has a ratchet strap in it which I have never taken out (the RAMbox is far more useful for that sort of thing), the other is empty and has never been used. I think it is mainly due to the fact that one needs to remove the floor mat to access the bin. I live in New England, and I purchased the full width Husky slush mats, so the storage bins in the floor are all but useless. (Great idea, though, and I’m sure there are others who use them daily). The small upper “glove box” – again, I put some non-essentials in there, and there they have stayed. The shade for the panoramic sunroof – it has been closed twice. I leave it open and love the light it lets in. The “self parking” feature – It is rumored to be there, but I’ve never even bothered to check for sure. I see an on/off switch which would indicate something of the sort, but that’s the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

What I think could use some design tweaking:
The heated steering wheel – the ability to adjust the temperature would be awesome, but I can survive without it. The 360 camera – how about adding one in the third brakelight to monitor the cargo? Seems simple enough. Rock chip/paint protection film – many (most) other vehicle manufacturers have a factory installed paint protection film just in front of the rear wheel wells. In northern climates, winter road slush wreaks havoc on this area of a vehicle. For a truck especially, this seems like it should be a standard feature. My colleague has a TrackHawk, purchased at the same time as my truck, with factory installed PPF where the body flares out in front of the rear wheel well. I would have expected the same for my truck.

Things that I would have done differently:
Installed paint protection film. I have the body color bumpers because I like the uniform look, but wasn’t quick enough on the draw to have the film installed. I now have half a dozen tiny black (bug-sized) chips where rocks/road dirt left their mark. This would probably never be an issue with a darker paint color, but now see the wisdom in having this installed before the truck even leaves the dealership.

Things that I will have looked at before my warranty expires:
The RAMboxes – the lids need adjustment. No surprise here, as many have noted this. 2 out of 10 times I get in the truck I notice that the RAMbox lid could be adjusted so it closes a little tighter, but the rest of the time it never even crosses my mind to look at it. The tailgate – it’s too tight (width) when closed, and rubs at the top corners. Again, no surprise here, as others have noted the same. I simply purchased a $5 pack of the vinyl, car door edge protectors and slipped a small piece on each top corner of the tailgate. Temporary solution, but no more paint on paint rubbing, and I will have the dealership do something with it when it does finally go in. The brakes – the front brakes groan/growl/squeal when they have gotten wet and the truck then sets for a while. The noise is gone after 30 seconds, but can be alarming.

Bottom line:
Thank you to all those whose thoughts/comments/reviews inspired me to purchase my first RAM.
1.jpg

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the very nice write up. Glad to hear that you are having an overall positive review of your first Ram. (y)

papac0rn

Reaction score
So I have now had my RAM 1500 Limited for one year, and felt that I have now enough experience with the 5th Gen RAMs to provide some legitimate feedback. I know others have done this as well, but I am hopeful that these types of reviews will serve to educate other future/potential owners. Here are my thoughts after one year of ownership:

Initial Summary: A resounding Yes. Although the final price tag to get all the options I wanted may have been more than I would have wanted to pay, the same can be said about any manufacturer. However, I wanted what I wanted, and the price was the price. This was my first RAM truck, after a half dozen trucks from both of the other two manufacturers (which we will not name here as this review is about my RAM). I was hesitant before purchasing it due to common misconceptions about the brand, but I test drove the other 3 leading competitors, and the 5th Gen RAM blew them away. I was looking mainly for creature comforts/driving experience, and I have not been disappointed with my ultimate choice to this day. I know there are others on this forum who have strong opinions otherwise, but I am pleasantly surprised with the overall fuel economy (see attached photo). Almost 22,000 miles driven, and I am averaging 18.8 MPG. I would not have believed that a 5.7L, heavy vehicle such as this would achieve a final MPG such as that. My daily travel is mostly rural highway (two-lane, 50-55 MPH speed limits) with about 25% suburban driving, in traffic and with stoplights.

What I love:
The drive. The interior. The huge center console. The RAMboxes. The 12” screen. The headlights (others do to, as they often flash their own at me in obvious approval).

Things I thought I would make more use of than I actually do:
The storage bins in the floor – one has a ratchet strap in it which I have never taken out (the RAMbox is far more useful for that sort of thing), the other is empty and has never been used. I think it is mainly due to the fact that one needs to remove the floor mat to access the bin. I live in New England, and I purchased the full width Husky slush mats, so the storage bins in the floor are all but useless. (Great idea, though, and I’m sure there are others who use them daily). The small upper “glove box” – again, I put some non-essentials in there, and there they have stayed. The shade for the panoramic sunroof – it has been closed twice. I leave it open and love the light it lets in. The “self parking” feature – It is rumored to be there, but I’ve never even bothered to check for sure. I see an on/off switch which would indicate something of the sort, but that’s the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

What I think could use some design tweaking:
The heated steering wheel – the ability to adjust the temperature would be awesome, but I can survive without it. The 360 camera – how about adding one in the third brakelight to monitor the cargo? Seems simple enough. Rock chip/paint protection film – many (most) other vehicle manufacturers have a factory installed paint protection film just in front of the rear wheel wells. In northern climates, winter road slush wreaks havoc on this area of a vehicle. For a truck especially, this seems like it should be a standard feature. My colleague has a TrackHawk, purchased at the same time as my truck, with factory installed PPF where the body flares out in front of the rear wheel well. I would have expected the same for my truck.

Things that I would have done differently:
Installed paint protection film. I have the body color bumpers because I like the uniform look, but wasn’t quick enough on the draw to have the film installed. I now have half a dozen tiny black (bug-sized) chips where rocks/road dirt left their mark. This would probably never be an issue with a darker paint color, but now see the wisdom in having this installed before the truck even leaves the dealership.

Things that I will have looked at before my warranty expires:
The RAMboxes – the lids need adjustment. No surprise here, as many have noted this. 2 out of 10 times I get in the truck I notice that the RAMbox lid could be adjusted so it closes a little tighter, but the rest of the time it never even crosses my mind to look at it. The tailgate – it’s too tight (width) when closed, and rubs at the top corners. Again, no surprise here, as others have noted the same. I simply purchased a $5 pack of the vinyl, car door edge protectors and slipped a small piece on each top corner of the tailgate. Temporary solution, but no more paint on paint rubbing, and I will have the dealership do something with it when it does finally go in. The brakes – the front brakes groan/growl/squeal when they have gotten wet and the truck then sets for a while. The noise is gone after 30 seconds, but can be alarming.

Bottom line:
Thank you to all those whose thoughts/comments/reviews inspired me to purchase my first RAM.
View attachment 43208

Wow. Thank you for sharing. I hope my first year turns out this good. I've got a lot of friends and family heckling me about this purchase. I was like most here and blown away by the fit, finish and quality. Good luck please keep us updated on your experience.

ldoh

Reaction score
Good idea about the adding vinyl to tailgate areas. Mine just started squeaking on the upper driver's side but succumbed after lightly cleaning the paint and rubber mount contact points.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Next month I will have a year of ownership on my truck. I feel exactly the same way you do OP, with the exception of fuel mileage. Mine just sucks, period. I have the 3:92 gears though, so it is what it is.
Another thing is it would be great if the side view mirror lights were more than just blinkers...it would be cool if they were running lights like some of the other OEM pick ups are.

Users who are viewing this thread