5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REVERSE AUX LIGHTING

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the issue is. All fuses are good, all pins on the bumper read 14volts ???
I also bench tested both lights to a battery on my work bench and they both work fine….
IMG_8216.jpeg IMG_8215.jpeg

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To follow this I used some ssc2’s and they work fine from the harness I made for the other lights

Last edited:

jkm312

Reaction score
I used the same lights as you 3 years ago, still going strong. Only difference is I took the connection from the Kurt plug from the back side of the trailer plug so as not to cut into anything OEM. I did use some Posi-lock connectors I got from Amazon, Di electric greased all the connections as I taped and put them back together. Put everything in lumes, taped and wire tied everything up out of the way.

Ive been following along here. Seems you may have some sort of short/loose connection that went away when you pulled it apart. They are a nightmare to deal with. Could it be mice munching on part of it? At this point you might be just as far ahead to go ahead the rewire everything from scratch and call it a day.

The mice thing has caused me to slug it out with a couple of boat trailers along the way. I understand your frustration.

ref=sr_1_3

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used the same lights as you 3 years ago, still going strong. Only difference is I took the connection from the Kurt plug from the back side of the trailer plug so as not to cut into anything OEM. I did use some Posi-lock connectors I got from Amazon, Di electric greased all the connections as I taped and put them back together. Put everything in lumes, taped and wire tied everything up out of the way.

Ive been following along here. Seems you may have some sort of short/loose connection that went away when you pulled it apart. They are a nightmare to deal with. Could it be mice munching on part of it? At this point you might be just as far ahead to go ahead the rewire everything from scratch and call it a day.

The mice thing has caused me to slug it out with a couple of boat trailers along the way. I understand your frustration.

ref=sr_1_3
I remade a new harness this go around and this time used a DT connector as well. I put dielectric grease on all connections.

In the video you can see the ssc2 work fine but these stupid Amazon ones won’t but I can’t figure out why?!

This is the harness I’m using to pull from the truck power/ground.
IMG_8221.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I remade a new harness this go around and this time used a DT connector as well. I put dielectric grease on all connections.

In the video you can see the ssc2 work fine but these stupid Amazon ones won’t but I can’t figure out why?!

This is the harness I’m using to pull from the truck power/ground.
View attachment 188407
It's the chitty Amazon lights. Stop wasting time trying to make them work. N

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh.

All this talk of splicing and soldering.

Crimp (or posilock if you must) and marine grade shrink tubing. A proper crimp will ALWAYS outperform a solder connection. There's a reason everything in the automotive/aircraft/military use crimped connections. I don't mean some cheesy autozone or harbor freight nylon splice crimper, but a proper ratcheting barrel crimp tool with an appropriate sized die.

As to the corrosion. Dielectric grease is preventative. If you have corrosion you need to remove or chemically clean and treat it before reapplying a Dielectric grease.

I prefer the CAIG DeoxIT products. Home - CAIG

If you need to wrap (after selaing), use Tesa tape, not cheap electrical tape. There's heat resistant (exterior) and the "fuzzy" interior wiring loom tape.

Last edited:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ugh.

Crimp (or posilock if you must) and marine grade shrink tubing. A proper crimp will ALWAYS outperform a solder connection. There's a reason everything in the automotive/aircraft/military use crimped connections. I don't mean some cheesy autozone or harbor freight nylon splice crimper, but a proper ratcheting barrel crimp tool with an appropriate sized die.

As to the corrosion. Dielectric grease is preventative. If you have corrosion you need to remove or chemically clean and treat it before reapplying a Dielectric grease.

If you need to wrap (after selaing), use Tesa tape, not cheap electrical tape. There's heat resistant (exterior) and the "fuzzy" interior wiring loom tape.

I do use crimp connectors when I feel lazy and want to get it done fast vs soldering. I have a crimp tool like you described and proper crimp connectors. I also use 3m electrical tape followed by the mesh tape or if I really want it to be nice I’ll use loom.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh.

I work in military aviation, and build custom wire harness all day long. Solder splices are most definitely used, depending on the harness. Granted, crimp splice are more prevalent, but without the proper tools and splices, which are cost prohibitive for most hobbyists, you standard red/blue/yellow barrel splices and ring terminals crimped with the cheap stripper/crimpers combo tools are not desirable

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This goes back to LED lights being sensitive to voltages. Those cheap Amazon lights are just that... cheap. Not trying to get you to buy more expensive lights, I use a crap ton of cheap Amazon stuff. My reverse lights I have wired up to where when they break or fail I can easily swap out replacements with JST connections.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This goes back to LED lights being sensitive to voltages. Those cheap Amazon lights are just that... cheap. Not trying to get you to buy more expensive lights, I use a crap ton of cheap Amazon stuff. My reverse lights I have wired up to where when they break or fail I can easily swap out replacements with JST connections.
Yea I guess you could make that assumption but they worked great for a good 5-6 months then 1 started holding water so I got a new pair and they no longer work like the previous pair. This time around I made sure to use all the tape, grease and connectors.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Solder splices on aircraft wire harness. Spec'd by engineers to be solder splice.

Attachments

• PXL_20240822_201225756.jpg
    PXL_20240822_201225756.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update on this, I got them to work. All it took was making them run in reverse polarity. No codes no issues, they work fine as before. Not sure why the 1st pair I got wasn’t wired to use reverse polarity????

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I work in military aviation, and build custom wire harness all day long. Solder splices are most definitely used, depending on the harness. Granted, crimp splice are more prevalent, but without the proper tools and splices, which are cost prohibitive for most hobbyists, you standard red/blue/yellow barrel splices and ring terminals crimped with the cheap stripper/crimpers combo tools are not desirable

Absolutely. I was an aircraft electrical/environmental systems technician for 21 years while in the Air Force and crimp splices and terminations were considered temporary repairs even though QA often looked the other way when temporary became a very long time. The preferred method for wire repair was to replace the entire run of wire and wires were terminated via soldered connection; normally a cannon plug with soldered pins.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the issue is. All fuses are good, all pins on the bumper read 14volts ???
I also bench tested both lights to a battery on my work bench and they both work fine….

I think some here are confusing voltage with current (amps). Voltage is simply the potential for current flow but the current is what powers the component. When you said the lights started off being very dim, that sounds like a current issue.

It's entirely possible to have a wire or wire connection where all the strands of the wire are broken except for a single strand of that wire. That single strand is enough for you to read full voltage, but that single strand may not allow enough current flow to operate the light. The most common culprit is a ground wire not making a good connection.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think some here are confusing voltage with current (amps). Voltage is simply the potential for current flow but the current is what powers the component. When you said the lights started off being very dim, that sounds like a current issue.

It's entirely possible to have a wire or wire connection where all the strands of the wire are broken except for a single strand of that wire. That single strand is enough for you to read full voltage, but that single strand may not allow enough current flow to operate the light. The most common culprit is a ground wire not making a good connection.
I got them to work . But great thanks for the bit of knowledge you shared

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update on this, I got them to work. All it took was making them run in reverse polarity. No codes no issues, they work fine as before. Not sure why the 1st pair I got wasn’t wired to use reverse polarity????
Glad they're working! seems like a PITA. Did you have to reverse the wires to test them on the bench?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely. I was an aircraft electrical/environmental systems technician for 21 years while in the Air Force and crimp splices and terminations were considered temporary repairs even though QA often looked the other way when temporary became a very long time. The preferred method for wire repair was to replace the entire run of wire and wires were terminated via soldered connection; normally a cannon plug with soldered pins.
Not many solder pin cannon plugs used anymore, other than on some heavier guage power harnesses.

Users who are viewing this thread