5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retraxpro MX with Rambox lid issue?

Thanks Rick...good to hear that the cover still allows your lids to fully open ..with some creative lubrication....maybe I'd be ok with it after all...hmmm....appreciate your feedback!
This is my 1st tonneau cover, so I can't comment on other models. But this cover is very well made, secure, protective and a great warranty. Good luck with your research and final selection Islander!

Well Crap! I order the retrax pro mx and it is set to arrive tomorrow. All I asked about is if it worked with the RamBox and factor silver rails and they said yes those are the correct rails and that is the correct model cover for your truck. I never asked about how far the Rambox will open, I wouldn't have occurred to me to ask if you tell me this is the model that was designed to work with RamBoxs. I am really not going to be happy with only 60% opening.
Hi traveller...did you receive your retraxpro mx yet? If you did and installed it, how is the fit relative to the rambox lids?

I found the seal modification that @Eltaco posted a while ago where he removed the seals from both sides of the retraxpro rails and cut out the round section of the seal (between the red marks in this pic) along the entire length of each seal and apparently this really improved the fit and allowed the rambox lids to open easier....

Question to you guys that bought the Retraxpro mx recently...does the seal at the edge of your retrax rails look like the one in this pic, which has the lip overlapping a bit over the rambox lid?

Just wondering if Retrax has changed the seal since this modification was posted?

Attachments

• 3c0703c1648b8694c600ee9a2e0e73c7.jpg
    3c0703c1648b8694c600ee9a2e0e73c7.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The seal on mine is completely different, i.e., it's a "D" shape, and I can see why that particular seal design would have to be modified in order for the Ram Box to fully open. I'll get a better pic later.

1626101004151.png

The seal on mine is completely different, i.e., it's a "D" shape. I'll get a better pic later.

View attachment 99590
Ahhh OK!....interesting so it looks like Retrax has modified their seal...this is good news since you and a few others have not run into intereference (or very little) with lid opening....aporeciate it Rick!

Last edited:
Hi traveller...did you receive your retraxpro mx yet? If you did and installed it, how is the fit relative to the rambox lids?

I got the cover installed yesterday, I will say the install was not easy and as straightforward as I thought it would be (I should point out I am not that handy so this was a big project for me and a buddy that isnt that handy either). It is installed and works, but I have further adjusting do. I think I need to call customer service and get some advice. One Rambox opens clean and easy the other one binds a little with the seal but opens all the way. I think with some fine tuning this might be solvable, we will see. One issue I have is you are supposed to remove the end caps that come on the factory silver rails and use an end cap that comes with the kit. I cant shut the tailgate with the supplied end caps. Looking at it I think the end caps can be notched or maybe a Dremel can cut a little off and they should work. Another issue is there is a gap from the edge of the tailgate to the edge of the side of the truck and water will get in the bed, I think some kind of foam sealant tape should fix this. The only other thing is, the supplied drain tubes that go from the bottom of the box to the holes in the truck bed are little short, I think I will need to find some longer ones to replace them with. I wish they would have supplied longer ones and you could cut to your needed length.

Overall a very well made cover, I think with some fine tuning and shimming it should work great. I will try and take some pictures later pointing out what I am talking about.

Last edited:
I got the cover installed yesterday, I will say the install was not easy and as straightforward as I thought it would be (I should point out I am not that handy so this was a big project for me and a buddy that isnt that handy either). It is installed and works, but I have further adjusting do. I think I need to call customer service and get some advice. One Rambox opens clean and easy the other one binds a little with the seal but opens all the way. I think with some fine tuning this might be solvable, we will see. One issue I have is you are supposed to remove the end caps that come on the factory silver rails and use an end cap that comes with the kit. I cant shut the tailgate with the supplied end caps. Looking at it I think the end caps can be notched or maybe a Dremel can cut a little off and they should work. Another issue is there is a gap from the edge of the tailgate to the edge of the side of the truck and water will get in the bed, I think some kind of foam sealant tape should fix this. The only other thing is, the supplied drain tubes that go from the bottom of the box to the holes in the truck bed are little short, I think I will need to find some longer ones to replace them with. I wish they would have supplied longer ones and you could cut to your needed length.

Overall a very well made cover, I think with some fine running and shimming it should work great. I will try and take some pictures later pointing out what I am talking about.
Hey traveller....read your post and happy to hear that you got the cover on and overall its working well and sounds like lid interference is more or less very minimal/acceptable.

I am a little handy...but not that much either lol. Ive never installed a cover but after reading your post I have a feeling that a bit of tweaking and adjusting is normal to get a cover fitting well...especially adding extra seal in various places.

Hope you get the rail cap issue resolved and would be interested to hear about it. The short drain tube issue sucks however.

Thanks for writing in detail about your install experience! My confidence in ordering this cover has gone way up.

Overall a very well made cover, I think with some fine tuning and shimming it should work great. I will try and take some pictures later pointing out what I am talking about.
Hi traveler09. Sorry to hear about the issues you had.

The attached doc includes some comments by @Snicklefritz_76 who also installed this tonneau cover and some of the issues he addressed. Note that the end caps supplied for mine were not an issue so maybe Retrax can supply another set if they are too "wide/thick." And you can probably adjust the white ("yellow" in the pic) nylon adjustment screws to allow your other Ram Box to open w/o issues. My wife and I installed this cover and we too are "probies" when it comes to these things. We're still happily married (going on 36 years) so the installation was not too stressful or marriage-killing!

MUCH luck to you and @Islander! You'll both love this cover!

1626113980701.png

Attachments

Hi traveler09. Sorry to hear about the issues you had.

The attached doc includes some comments by @Snicklefritz_76 who also installed this tonneau cover and some of the issues he addressed. Note that the end caps supplied for mine were not an issue so maybe Retrax can supply another set if they are too "wide/thick." And you can probably adjust the white ("yellow" in the pic) nylon adjustment screws to allow your other Ram Box to open w/o issues. My wife and I installed this cover and we too are "probies" when it comes to these things. We're still happily married (going on 36 years) so the installation was not too stressful or marriage-killing!

MUCH luck to you and @Islander! You'll both love this cover!

View attachment 99616
Thanks for the info Rick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back