5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retraxpro MX with Rambox lid issue?

Islander

Reaction score
Hi All,

I really like the look and the way the Retraxpro MX works, but hesitating ordering because I am getting mixed messages about whether the Rambox version really allows the lids to open 100% or not.

Read a couple of other threads here that indicated this issue back in 2019 and 2020 was fixed with a newer version of the rails and gasket...and even a couple posts with pics that show the lids opening.

I saw the product on Amazon today and when I sent in this question, the answer I got from RetraxCustomer service was ..."Good afternoon, our cover allows the RAM boxes to open roughly 60%"....which is disappointing.

Not sure if this is just a stock CYA answer...or if its true. I will call Retrax tomorrow to check if this is the official answer...but still wanted to check this with forum members.

Anyone recently buy the Retraxpro mx rambox version, and if so does the seal still interfere with the lids?

Any feedback aporeciated!

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I suspect the Amazon covers may be older stock, and might not have the updated parts. My suggestion would be to purchase it from Retrax directly, or one of their authorized dealers. I'd avoid Amazon for something like this. Too much risk of either getting an older model or a customer return which could be damaged or missing parts (Ask me how I know). As far as getting an answer about rambox lids, I'd also ask Retrax directly.

Islander

Reaction score
Well....I just emailed Retrax directly and got this response 5min later...it's a shame because I really wanted this cover...oh well guess I will order my 2nd choice...the Bakflip MX4...

"

Good afternoon, unfortunately our covers will only allow the RAM boxes to open roughly 60%.​

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well....I just emailed Retrax directly and got this response 5min later...it's a shame because I really wanted this cover...oh well guess I will order my 2nd choice...the Bakflip MX4...

"

Good afternoon, unfortunately our covers will only allow the RAM boxes to open roughly 60%.​
Well at least you know now.

traveller09

Reaction score
Well Crap! I order the retrax pro mx and it is set to arrive tomorrow. All I asked about is if it worked with the RamBox and factor silver rails and they said yes those are the correct rails and that is the correct model cover for your truck. I never asked about how far the Rambox will open, I wouldn't have occurred to me to ask if you tell me this is the model that was designed to work with RamBoxs. I am really not going to be happy with only 60% opening.

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember it being an issue when I was shopping around for a cover. For the price… know way would I be content with only opening it 60% but I remember either on here or the other ram forum that their was a guy that modified the seal so that it would open all the way. Give me some time I might be able to find the thread.

Oh and lomax is another option for those that are shopping around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Islander

Reaction score
I know right?!!...they really should have that written in the description. That said, I still see online many users with Ramboxes saying they open fully...which confuses me.

Maybe with any luck and some adjusting you can get it to work fine....please do report back once you get it installed...Good Luck!

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interested as well in this. I was looking at this cover for my truck.

Islander

Reaction score
So I looked at the Gatortrax MX online today...and it looks identical in every way to the Retraxpro MX. In fact it looks like it might be the same product rebranded...not sure

Anyway I had a live chat with Gator Covers and they assured me that the cover seal does not overlap the edge of the Rambox lids and that they open 100% with their cover and sent me a pic. (Attached)

Thinking it might be worth a shot ordering it...

Attachments

• rambox MX Gator.png
    rambox MX Gator.png
    593.8 KB · Views: 34

nomow1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I really like the look and the way the Retraxpro MX works, but hesitating ordering because I am getting mixed messages about whether the Rambox version really allows the lids to open 100% or not.

Read a couple of other threads here that indicated this issue back in 2019 and 2020 was fixed with a newer version of the rails and gasket...and even a couple posts with pics that show the lids opening.

I saw the product on Amazon today and when I sent in this question, the answer I got from RetraxCustomer service was ..."Good afternoon, our cover allows the RAM boxes to open roughly 60%"....which is disappointing.

Not sure if this is just a stock CYA answer...or if its true. I will call Retrax tomorrow to check if this is the official answer...but still wanted to check this with forum members.

Anyone recently buy the Retraxpro mx rambox version, and if so does the seal still interfere with the lids?

Any feedback aporeciated!
I have a 21 Limited with Rainbow option and a Retrax Pro MX cover, works perfectly with the Rambox opening fully on both sides.
No alterations were needed to accomplish this at all.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I looked at the Gatortrax MX online today...and it looks identical in every way to the Retraxpro MX. In fact it looks like it might be the same product rebranded...not sure

Anyway I had a live chat with Gator Covers and they assured me that the cover seal does not overlap the edge of the Rambox lids and that they open 100% with their cover and sent me a pic. (Attached)

Thinking it might be worth a shot ordering it...
Just be aware that that pic is a 4th gen. Not saying 5th gens would fit differently but at this point I'm not sure either way.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 21 Limited with Rainbow option and a Retrax Pro MX cover, works perfectly with the Rambox opening fully on both sides.
No alterations were needed to accomplish this at all.
Is that Rainbow option, like, a Rainbow Pride thing? Didn’t know Ram sold those.
:ROFLMAO:

RickWaz

Reaction score
My Retrax Pro MX works AOK with my Ram Boxes! It does start to open with a bit more force at about ~ 60% open, BUT it does open 100%. I applied a bit of vaseline to the gasket that touches the edge of the Ram Box and it does open with less force. So more confusion to your decision. And I LOVE that tonneau cover!!!

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember it being an issue when I was shopping around for a cover. For the price… know way would I be content with only opening it 60% but I remember either on here or the other ram forum that their was a guy that modified the seal so that it would open all the way. Give me some time I might be able to find the thread.

Oh and lomax is another option for those that are shopping around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was in here somewhere, I remember seeing that as well.
really disappointed they never fixed this issue. I really wanted one with the t-rails

Islander

Reaction score
My Retrax Pro MX works AOK with my Ram Boxes! It does start to open with a bit more force at about ~ 60% open, BUT it does open 100%. I applied a bit of vaseline to the gasket that touches the edge of the Ram Box and it does open with less force. So more confusion to your decision. And I LOVE that tonneau cover!!!
Thanks Rick...good to hear that the cover still allows your lids to fully open ..with some creative lubrication....maybe I'd be ok with it after all...hmmm....appreciate your feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online