5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrax Pro XR review

DeanKing

Reaction score
I bought and eventually returned a Retrax PRO XR. I hope you find the following info helpful.

Be aware that I ended up returning it after a week and replacing it with a Bakflip Mx4.
The cover was solidly built. Nothing cheap about it (both in materials in price). It was somewhat fiddly to set up. You are required to make sure the rails are mounted exactly parallel. However; the clamps are a bit complicated in how they were attached (lots of adjustments) and if you actually follow the instructions on the precise order of adjustment, you will never get it right. All told, the install should have taken about 2 hours by myself. Instead it took 3 because of all the adjustments. The MX4 on the other hand had simple to use clamps and the install required no measuring or adjustments. Just lay it on the rails, clamp it down, and you are done. It took me about 45 minutes by myself.
I called the company multiple times because of the issues I was having. I was always speaking to a knowledgeable human with good communication skills within 5 seconds. Their customer service seems top notch.

Be aware of clamp issues.
The large clamps will never work with the any accessory that sits above the factory bed rails (such as the Mopar Bed Divider). See my post here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ssories-and-the-factory-rails.3776/post-54042
One issue with the install is that the clamps are designed to go in very specific spots. However; this unit was made for the Ram yet the location of one of the clamps had it right by a lump on the bed cap that made mounting it there safely impossible. In other words, they insist you get a solid well fitting spot for the clamps and given the weight of this thing and what it can haul on top, I agree. However; one of the required mounting spots had a lump in the truck (both sides) that made a safe connection impossible. So I ended up moving the clamp out of the required spot by a few inches. I felt a safe clamp connection was the better choice.

There were three reasons I returned it in the following order:
1) It never had the smoothness of operation depicted in videos. My friend has a Roll N Lock and that was smooth. This was not. When I first got it, I needed all of my 200 lbs to even operate it. However; they do warn it needs 48 hours and after about 3 days, I could kind of do it one handed. But it was still rough enough that if I did not actually pull it the last little bit on both sides by hand, it would not sit evenly against the tailgate. That is because the handle for operation is only on 1 side. I suppose that after a year of usage, it may get smoother.

2) The lock mechanism is undesirable. It uses 2 sharp points to dig into a metal track to keep it locked. This is what allows it's feature of being locked at any position along the rail. However; there are some pretty bad design flaws with this. The rails are not PERFECTLY uniform the entire length. I got them as close as I could but just weatherstripping is enough to make small variations. This means that to allow it to lock at any point, you have to adjust the pressure of the metal points to the highest spot. However; that might mean less than desirable locking at the fully closed position. If you don't actually make those points dig in, then it isn't really locked and can be pried open fairly easily. It requires a LOT of pressure it get it to lock well. In the end, I gave up on the "locking at any point" idea and just adjusted it for the fully closed position. So the entire mechanism was a pain in the *** for a feature I can't even use.

3) Safety issue. 10 - 15 years ago there was a big thing about people getting carjacked and thrown in trunks and with kids accidentally getting locked in. So the feds mandated internal release catches in trunks. When this thing is closed, it is a metal prison. There is no way you are getting out without a 9/16th wrench to unbolt it. I realized that as I was under the cover trying to figure out why it wasn't rolling smoothly enough. Even if it is not locked, you cannot escape it from inside.

I also really didn't like having to use a key and it wasn't exactly low profile due to the external t-slot rails. Having to muck with that handle just to open it was annoying. You have to flip a rubber cap, unclasp it (which takes some force if it is securely adjusted), and then start pulling. But I knew those things going in and that did not contribute to me returning it. Given that it costs > $2000 there are just too many issues. Fortunately, I bought it at Amazon because they were the only ones without a restocking fee and they took it back. I ended up getting the MX4 for <$950. It was easy to install, easy to use, you can't be locked in, and it holds 400 pounds. So I figure if I really need to store something on top, I will get some Bully tie downs for the stake pockets. It won't hold a kayak like the Retrax XR though.

My recommendation is that the Retrax XR is for a specialized use. If you REALLY need those t-slot rails for serious hauling above the cover.

Cannonball

Reaction score
I bought and eventually returned a Retrax PRO XR. I hope you find the following info helpful.

Be aware that I ended up returning it after a week and replacing it with a Bakflip Mx4.
The cover was solidly built. Nothing cheap about it (both in materials in price). It was somewhat fiddly to set up. You are required to make sure the rails are mounted exactly parallel. However; the clamps are a bit complicated in how they were attached (lots of adjustments) and if you actually follow the instructions on the precise order of adjustment, you will never get it right. All told, the install should have taken about 2 hours by myself. Instead it took 3 because of all the adjustments. The MX4 on the other hand had simple to use clamps and the install required no measuring or adjustments. Just lay it on the rails, clamp it down, and you are done. It took me about 45 minutes by myself.
I called the company multiple times because of the issues I was having. I was always speaking to a knowledgeable human with good communication skills within 5 seconds. Their customer service seems top notch.

Be aware of clamp issues.
The large clamps will never work with the any accessory that sits above the factory bed rails (such as the Mopar Bed Divider). See my post here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ssories-and-the-factory-rails.3776/post-54042
One issue with the install is that the clamps are designed to go in very specific spots. However; this unit was made for the Ram yet the location of one of the clamps had it right by a lump on the bed cap that made mounting it there safely impossible. In other words, they insist you get a solid well fitting spot for the clamps and given the weight of this thing and what it can haul on top, I agree. However; one of the required mounting spots had a lump in the truck (both sides) that made a safe connection impossible. So I ended up moving the clamp out of the required spot by a few inches. I felt a safe clamp connection was the better choice.

There were three reasons I returned it in the following order:
1) It never had the smoothness of operation depicted in videos. My friend has a Roll N Lock and that was smooth. This was not. When I first got it, I needed all of my 200 lbs to even operate it. However; they do warn it needs 48 hours and after about 3 days, I could kind of do it one handed. But it was still rough enough that if I did not actually pull it the last little bit on both sides by hand, it would not sit evenly against the tailgate. That is because the handle for operation is only on 1 side. I suppose that after a year of usage, it may get smoother.

2) The lock mechanism is undesirable. It uses 2 sharp points to dig into a metal track to keep it locked. This is what allows it's feature of being locked at any position along the rail. However; there are some pretty bad design flaws with this. The rails are not PERFECTLY uniform the entire length. I got them as close as I could but just weatherstripping is enough to make small variations. This means that to allow it to lock at any point, you have to adjust the pressure of the metal points to the highest spot. However; that might mean less than desirable locking at the fully closed position. If you don't actually make those points dig in, then it isn't really locked and can be pried open fairly easily. It requires a LOT of pressure it get it to lock well. In the end, I gave up on the "locking at any point" idea and just adjusted it for the fully closed position. So the entire mechanism was a pain in the *** for a feature I can't even use.

3) Safety issue. 10 - 15 years ago there was a big thing about people getting carjacked and thrown in trunks and with kids accidentally getting locked in. So the feds mandated internal release catches in trunks. When this thing is closed, it is a metal prison. There is no way you are getting out without a 9/16th wrench to unbolt it. I realized that as I was under the cover trying to figure out why it wasn't rolling smoothly enough. Even if it is not locked, you cannot escape it from inside.

I also really didn't like having to use a key and it wasn't exactly low profile due to the external t-slot rails. Having to muck with that handle just to open it was annoying. You have to flip a rubber cap, unclasp it (which takes some force if it is securely adjusted), and then start pulling. But I knew those things going in and that did not contribute to me returning it. Given that it costs > $2000 there are just too many issues. Fortunately, I bought it at Amazon because they were the only ones without a restocking fee and they took it back. I ended up getting the MX4 for <$950. It was easy to install, easy to use, you can't be locked in, and it holds 400 pounds. So I figure if I really need to store something on top, I will get some Bully tie downs for the stake pockets. It won't hold a kayak like the Retrax XR though.

My recommendation is that the Retrax XR is for a specialized use. If you REALLY need those t-slot rails for serious hauling above the cover.
Great unbiased write up. All points are valid concerns and would never have been known by the consumer prior to sight unseen purchase. Thanks for sharing your experience!

DeanKing

Reaction score
Great unbiased write up. All points are valid concerns and would never have been known by the consumer prior to sight unseen purchase. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Thanks. I really wanted to go into the Bed Cover store and try them out but that is hard to find. We actually do have a place with samples but they are mini versions (like 2 by 3) and they didn't have Retrax at all. There were a few other nitpicky things I didn't like about it but I figured that was enough to get the point across. In comparison, I cannot figure out a single thing to complain about the Mx4 and that is how an expensive purchase should be.

natehawes

Reaction score
As someone who has the RetraxOne XR I feel like I have to reply in defense of this great product. To be clear I do not have any affiliation with Retrax, resellers, or have any financial benefit from offering my opinion on this product. I just really like it!

1- I've owned mine now for about 7 weeks (enough time for break in) and it's smooth enough for one-handed operation. I'm not sure what level of smooth you are seeking, but I can open and close it with one hand without too much effort. True it won't open/close with the force one finger can produce, but it is absolutely in the acceptable range. To be honest it's something I hadn't really considered before reading your review.

2- I understand your point here. There are times where I've pushed the handle down and it requires more force to "lock" than other locations. But where it's locked the most, the fully closed position, it locks smoothly and easily. If I recall correctly, the Pro version locks on both rails whereas the One version only locks on one rail. I wonder if that makes the Pro even harder to lock??

3- I have to be honest that I laughed a little bit when I read this. The mental image of me rolling around in the bed of my truck not being able to get out was pretty funny. I guess the mitigation to this concern would be that my key fob will be in my pocket and I can hit the tailgate release button to escape!

My cost for the RetraxOne XR was $1219.88 shipped and I will be getting the Yakima bars and mounting hardware free from Retrax (this was a rebate offered from Retrax if purchased before 10/31). For the price, functionality, looks, and security I would happily buy this again even without the rebate. I hope this helps others who are trying to make a bed cover decision.

DeanKing

Reaction score
As someone who has the RetraxOne XR I feel like I have to reply in defense of this great product. To be clear I do not have any affiliation with Retrax, resellers, or have any financial benefit from offering my opinion on this product. I just really like it!

1- I've owned mine now for about 7 weeks (enough time for break in) and it's smooth enough for one-handed operation. I'm not sure what level of smooth you are seeking, but I can open and close it with one hand without too much effort. True it won't open/close with the force one finger can produce, but it is absolutely in the acceptable range. To be honest it's something I hadn't really considered before reading your review.

2- I understand your point here. There are times where I've pushed the handle down and it requires more force to "lock" than other locations. But where it's locked the most, the fully closed position, it locks smoothly and easily. If I recall correctly, the Pro version locks on both rails whereas the One version only locks on one rail. I wonder if that makes the Pro even harder to lock??

3- I have to be honest that I laughed a little bit when I read this. The mental image of me rolling around in the bed of my truck not being able to get out was pretty funny. I guess the mitigation to this concern would be that my key fob will be in my pocket and I can hit the tailgate release button to escape!

My cost for the RetraxOne XR was $1219.88 shipped and I will be getting the Yakima bars and mounting hardware free from Retrax (this was a rebate offered from Retrax if purchased before 10/31). For the price, functionality, looks, and security I would happily buy this again even without the rebate. I hope this helps others who are trying to make a bed cover decision.
I am glad yours worked out for you. I truly wanted mine to. I also bought before 10/31 and was looking forward to the Yakima set as it seemed like a top notch product. It was a lot of time invested. I had to lean into mine to get it to move. I felt something was wrong so that is why I called the company but they pretty much said it was normal. It was going to turn into my having to film myself opening it and then having some weird conversation with them about how much is “too much force”. Given how well it was made, I just didn’t think a manufacturing defect was likely. I have to say that the two point locking surely would make it more difficult because it now needs to clamp down in two points with the same exact motion and force as one point. The Pro is also likely heavier being metal and less flexible so perhaps that is part of the rolling issue. I went for the pro due to the lifetime warranty. I just don’t see how it was defective. It was a simple mechanism. I suppose there was always a possibility that mine had a bound up roller but it was not easy to get access to each roller to test it. The only way would have been to disassemble it and by that point it was going to go back into the box. I don’t see how an adult with a key fob gets accidentally locked into the bed but a kid goofing around on a summer day could. I don’t think I would have returned it just for that reason. It was mainly the functional issues but I wanted to consider that in any replacement product. Just about anything that uses the tailgate lock for security should be escapable from inside. I will also add that if I were to do it again I would not get the pro. $1200 with the bars is a good value. $2100 not so much.

natehawes

Reaction score
I am glad yours worked out for you. I truly wanted mine to. I also bought before 10/31 and was looking forward to the Yakima set as it seemed like a top notch product. It was a lot of time invested. I had to lean into mine to get it to move. I felt something was wrong so that is why I called the company but they pretty much said it was normal. It was going to turn into my having to film myself opening it and then having some weird conversation with them about how much is “too much force”. Given how well it was made, I just didn’t think a manufacturing defect was likely. I have to say that the two point locking surely would make it more difficult because it now needs to clamp down in two points with the same exact motion and force as one point. The Pro is also likely heavier being metal and less flexible so perhaps that is part of the rolling issue. I went for the pro due to the lifetime warranty. I just don’t see how it was defective. It was a simple mechanism. I suppose there was always a possibility that mine had a bound up roller but it was not easy to get access to each roller to test it. The only way would have been to disassemble it and by that point it was going to go back into the box. I don’t see how an adult with a key fob gets accidentally locked into the bed but a kid goofing around on a summer day could. I don’t think I would have returned it just for that reason. It was mainly the functional issues but I wanted to consider that in any replacement product. Just about anything that uses the tailgate lock for security should be escapable from inside. I will also add that if I were to do it again I would not get the pro. $1200 with the bars is a good value. $2100 not so much.
Good point about the additional weight of the Pro. Very possible that adds to some additional force required to open/close the cover. Also I agree that the value proposition diminishes rapidly for me at the Pro price point.

I’m glad the MX4 worked for you. The point of reading and posting on these forums is really just to help each other fill the needs we have.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Just installed my Retrax Pro XR was fairly simple even alone and I like the fit and finish. The cover rolls somewhat heavy still but not annoying if it gets a little easier after break in I'm absolutely fine with it!

3E923F2D-C021-46AF-8555-C1CE62EBA9EA.jpeg

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Installed the Yakima bars and bike carriers today works great on the retrax pro xr now on the way from Houston to San Francisco for the next couple of days

37ec787949279c888a659616971a7138.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrex

Reaction score
I got the PowertraxPRO MX - Heavy duty, electric open/close with FOB and built in additional LED light.

I had my installed by Retrax reseller/installer. Its lightning fast, no noise driving and no water has gotten in from rain or car washes yet, I put down card board to test. But that has alot to do with the exact placement of weather strip and making sure enough adhesive completely seals to bed top. When bed top is wet and you open it, the water drips down into drip pan and runs out the drain hoses. its a pretty slick setup.

My only disappointment is that the roll n lock or Mopar bed divider made by roll and lock is not compatible due to clamp locations and how the bed divder has to install its own rails onto the factory bed utility group rails.

I would buy another Retrax. I looked at Roll and Lock and Retrax. Went with retrax.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the Yakima bars and bike carriers today works great on the retrax pro xr now on the way from Houston to San Francisco for the next couple of days

37ec787949279c888a659616971a7138.jpg

Can you show how the racks attach around the cover.

Do they make one for Ramboxes 5'7" bed

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Can you show how the racks attach around the cover.

Do they make one for Ramboxes 5'7" bed

I’ll take a picture tomorrow but basically the tracks on either side of the cover covers the sides of the bed and they got T-slots that take the Yakima towers for the cross bars...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Retrax Pro MX installation. Please excuse all of the pollen here in FL. Fit and finish is excellent and totally water tight.

Attachments

• Ram5.jpg
    Ram5.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Ram6.jpg
    Ram6.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 168
  • Ram7.jpg
    Ram7.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Ram8.jpg
    Ram8.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Ram13.jpg
    Ram13.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Ram12.jpg
    Ram12.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Ram11.jpg
    Ram11.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 150
  • Ram10.jpg
    Ram10.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Ram9.jpg
    Ram9.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 157

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks great. I have Ramboxes, so that's another variable.

Anyone with Ramboxes have any info. I read for a while that they interferred with them opening all the way. Is that still the issue?
Not working with the bed divider is a killer. Defeats the BUG purchase then.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. I am looking for a more objective answer from regular owners who have had to install and operate them. Not the company or salesperson.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You may want to check regardless. It may be like a needle in a haystack finding a forum member who has ram boxes and a Retrax cover. They are expensive (and worth every penny IMPO) but it appears that most folks on this thread are going with a far cheaper Lomax-type option.

Jrex

Reaction score
I dont have rambox, but from pics I can find, looks like it sits on the top rail next to rambox top.

I think the key is whether your truck came with factory equipped cover.

Found this post.
If you are getting the Rambox without the factory cover, then the rails will work for a ReTrax cover. Only if it you had a factory installed cover would you have a problem. Those rails are designed differently as they provide a flat surface for the cover to seal.

I will call my installer tomorrow and ask him,

1551997670984.png

1551997808231.png

1551997711984.png
1551997868128.png

1551997964252.png

macallien

Reaction score
I dont have rambox, but from pics I can find, looks like it sits on the top rail next to rambox top.

I think the key is whether your truck came with factory equipped cover.

Found this post.
If you are getting the Rambox without the factory cover, then the rails will work for a ReTrax cover. Only if it you had a factory installed cover would you have a problem. Those rails are designed differently as they provide a flat surface for the cover to seal.

I will call my installer tomorrow and ask him,

View attachment 18074

View attachment 18076

View attachment 18075
View attachment 18078

View attachment 18079
MAN that would be great! I will keep an eye out for what your installer says. I am looking at this option as well (w/ ramboxes).

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure what your installer is going to tell you that is any different than the pics posted above by @Jrex that clearly shows it was designed to allow the boxes to fully open. You don't need an installer either. I did mine myself in my driveway with a screwdriver and a socket wrench. You get 4 aluminum clamps that hold the cover to the side rails. Super easy to do it yourself. Instructions are very simple!

chrisfuss

Reaction score
100% agree it’s super easy to install I did it alone you need a little trick for that I put a wooden step ladder from the kitchen on the bed to put the case on during assembly but with a helping hand it’s dead easy and probably quicker than driving to a shop get it done and back... plus you save a little ordering online...

Users who are viewing this thread