5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrax Covers

TEDOFVA

Reaction score
I purchased a Retrax retractable bed cover. The problem I have is the heat. This black cover gets so hot that one cannot hold on the to the handle to open and close the top. I had my Yeti cooler in the back and it got so hot that the cooler cover warped. I inquired with the factory about painting the Retrax white and was told if I paint the cover it would void the warranty. I can't see how a thin layer of Dupont Imron paint could have any effect on the cover so will do it anyway. If the paint destroys the top nothing lost, just replace with something else.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am on my third RETRAX and they are the best in the business. Painting it will not cause any harm if done properly. These things are bullet proof. I live in FL where it gets very hot. My cover has a rubber boot that covers the pop-up lever to open and close the unit so it is not in direct sun. Does yours not have that? I have not experienced anything like what you are referencing.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a Retrax retractable bed cover. The problem I have is the heat. This black cover gets so hot that one cannot hold on the to the handle to open and close the top. I had my Yeti cooler in the back and it got so hot that the cooler cover warped. I inquired with the factory about painting the Retrax white and was told if I paint the cover it would void the warranty. I can't see how a thin layer of Dupont Imron paint could have any effect on the cover so will do it anyway. If the paint destroys the top nothing lost, just replace with something else.
Did you get the Polycarbonate or Industrial Strength Aluminum Construction?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shouldn’t matter as both should come with handle covers.
I was asking TEDOFVA.

I don't think he will be able to paint the polycarbonate top white.

But the Aluminum cover should be fine with paint.

If that is his preference to reduce the heat in the bed of the truck...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was asking TEDOFVA.

I don't think he will be able to paint the polycarbonate top white.

But the Aluminum cover should be fine with paint.

If that is his preference to reduce the heat in the bed of the truck...
Got it...you are correct in that painting the poly cover would be a no-no;)

Users who are viewing this thread