5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

retractable running board tape or ?

Mickey2020

Reaction score
I love the retractable running boards, but I do not like the way they scratch and look cheap as hell as soon as a dirty foot steps on them. What are we doing as far as covering them, or protecting them? I thought about just buying some grip tape and taking the time to cover the main step areas, but with the shape, that would take longer than I want to spend. Has anyone seen them painted to match or covered with something? Does someone make something that fits right over the top of the OE boards?

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I just extend them when I wash the truck and clean them.

you could try waxing them and see if that helps with the foot prints or get some of the spray ceramic stuff and see if that helps.

honestly since they are only extended briefly, not sure I would spent any $$$ or much time on them.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
The bottom of my power running board on the drivers side took a nasty scratch under it at the car wash. When the truck is is the normal setting or off-road 1&2 its was very visible. I fixed that really quick and it looks better than factory. I took a large priority box (free) from my post office and I purchased this spray from Lowes, everyone sells it. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum...Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-15-oz/3728811. I slid the box through the top of the closed running board, not to get any on my paint job, shake well and spray the bottom of your boards. thin coats are best do several. if you had a deep scratch like I had go over that scratch first, as it dries go so the other side. If you put too much on let it dry. The overspray really shrinks. I'm super pleased with my outcome. My problem is solved! The finish looks fantastic. No one would have a clue that you sprayed the running board bottom unless you told them.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I thought about getting a quote on getting mine line-x’d. They used to be kinda slick when they were wet and I figured that would help.

Mickey2020

Reaction score
The bottom of my power running board on the drivers side took a nasty scratch under it at the car wash. When the truck is is the normal setting or off-road 1&2 its was very visible. I fixed that really quick and it looks better than factory. I took a large priority box (free) from my post office and I purchased this spray from Lowes, everyone sells it. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum...Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-15-oz/3728811. I slid the box through the top of the closed running board, not to get any on my paint job, shake well and spray the bottom of your boards. thin coats are best do several. if you had a deep scratch like I had go over that scratch first, as it dries go so the other side. If you put too much on let it dry. The overspray really shrinks. I'm super pleased with my outcome. My problem is solved! The finish looks fantastic. No one would have a clue that you sprayed the running board bottom unless you told them.

This was another idea I had... to just paint them myself. Glad that worked for you. I may just do this....

Users who are viewing this thread