5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Results of conclusive study

Mason1217

Reaction score
So, with all the threads about MPG, I did a study so you didn't have to. I drove like a grandma for 100 miles. Results, 13.9 MPG. Then, I drove like a complete a**hole for 100 miles, 4wd Auto in the rain, spirited take offs, passed some poor old guy on a 2 lane road, you get the point lol. Result? 20181101_173652.jpg
So in conclusion, F it, for 1 mpg different I had a hell of a lot more fun the 2nd 100 miles :p

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I get 12-13 mpg and 18 - 19 on highway long Trips. I have another car if I need fuel economy or am driving across town where I don’t feel like trying to park my truck. I was well prepared for my fuel uneconomy due to my 2013 Ram

banditsc

Reaction score
I just did a 300 mile run on backroads keeping at the speed limit and averaged 22.3 mpg.

Predfan

Reaction score
i dont understand how you can only be getting 13 mpg driving like a grandma with my 2010 5.7L im averaging 16.6 mpg pure city

Mason1217

Reaction score
Constant traffic, construction, lights every single mile that are NOT timed. Hit every single one. Get up to speed, stop for next one. So much time idling when the average is 0, it just kills it. The few highway trips I've done with cruise set to 70 was wayyyy better. 3 days back in the city and bang, right back down. I live in an E Torque city for sure, dealer just didn't have a single one on the lot.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
Just came back from a 600 mile trip to Branson Mo. Cruise was set on 78mph on interstate. Did a lot of local driving on the hill's around Branson. 17.5 mpg average on the entire trip. I'm happy with that.

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
In my "OPINION" you guys are posting MPG reports way too early. You really need to give your engine at least 5,000 miles for it to be completely broken in and for everything to be seated properly to have consistency.

XDBrad

Reaction score
Right there with you! If I wanted gas mileage I would have bought a Prius, then started drinking fu-fu coffee, bottled water, and went vegan. I’m quite happy with my coffee black, water from the tap, a medium rare Porterhouse, and a truck that I love to drive and performs like a powerhouse at the cost of a couple MPG.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I have owned three Cummins diesels before this truck, and have always found it well worth it to own a cheap good gas mileage car to use driving to work and run errands. I live in the country so I put on a lot of miles. As much as I love driving my trucks, I like to save the miles. I figure the economy car pays for itself in savings. I did not purchase this one for its great mileage, but I bet it will be better than my Cummins.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my "OPINION" you guys are posting MPG reports way too early. You really need to give your engine at least 5,000 miles for it to be completely broken in and for everything to be seated properly to have consistency.
Agreed, my mileage improved a couple from new to around the 5,000 mile mark. I basically keep track just for curiosity sake to compare to and help others, I know it is my opinion and many may disagree but I don’t really give a crap about mpg’s or I would have bought a Prius. I have always not just driven, but used my trucks over the years. All have gotten between 14 and 19 mpg’s for the most part. It makes me laugh when I read, not just on this forum but others as well, when guys buy $60,000 plus trucks, lift them and put larger tires on them, then complain about the mpg’s! I know it is just a few that do but still makes me laugh!

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right there with you! If I wanted gas mileage I would have bought a Prius, then started drinking fu-fu coffee, bottled water, and went vegan. I’m quite happy with my coffee black, water from the tap, a medium rare Porterhouse, and a truck that I love to drive and performs like a powerhouse at the cost of a couple MPG.
YES, love the comment! I am a true country boy. I will drive my expensive, lifted, gas guzzling truck everywhere I go, I will drive it through the field ( because it is not just a pavement princess) on my way to fill it up so I can go get the biggest, greasiest steak I can eat and then take the long way home- why? because I can;)

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned three Cummins diesels before this truck, and have always found it well worth it to own a cheap good gas mileage car to use driving to work and run errands. I live in the country so I put on a lot of miles. As much as I love driving my trucks, I like to save the miles. I figure the economy car pays for itself in savings. I did not purchase this one for its great mileage, but I bet it will be better than my Cummins.
I did the same. My trade on this ‘19 Ram was my 2010 Cummins in which I also had a cheaper car to drive. The diesel only had 50,000 miles in 8 years. I traded both for this ‘19 Ram and said screw it, I am driving this one everywhere. Averaging roughly 2,000 miles per month with the new truck compared to 520 miles per month driven on my previous diesel.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
YES, love the comment! I am a true country boy. I will drive my expensive, lifted, gas guzzling truck everywhere I go, I will drive it through the field ( because it is not just a pavement princess) on my way to fill it up so I can go get the biggest, greasiest steak I can eat and then take the long way home- why? because I can;)

+1 on the long way home.

Mason1217

Reaction score
God bless each and every one of you lol, I'm glad I'm not in the minority. This truck wasn't meant to be driven in a eco friendly, gas mileage monitoring kind of way. Let the big girl eat lol.

John813

Reaction score
I didn't buy mine for MPG either, but coming from the 11-13(highway) MPG world of trucks it was an added bonus, for now. Not so much cause of $, but I hated stopping constantly for gas on trips.

If the TR/TRX are priced stupidly, I may just put some forced induction on it and call it a day.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't buy one either for MPG I am getting 12.9mpg and I drive 24/7 city with my 3.92 gears

Users who are viewing this thread