5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resale question?

lastdon87

Reaction score
I am currently in Lake Charles to pick up the Longhorn I ordered in September that arrived in Port Allen on the 8th. Well, the time has come to drive home, fly the family in one way for the week to visit family and the plan was to drive back the new truck. Well, the truck still hasn't arrived to Mark Dodge.

I'm thinking of buying a Big Horn they have, night edition, that I think I can get for around $44k. Do you think I could sell it either on Carvana or Vroom for The same or a bit more when I get back to Arizona? It 2ould have less than 1500 miles on it. The discount from Mark is either 9 or 10k off MSRP, I feel like it may work but kind of afraid to screw up and be upside down on a truck I don't want.

Thanks for the help!

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
That is a tough one. Especially with gas prices as they are currently, it may prove difficult to sell for original cost. However, MANY dealerships are currently adding a $10k premium to their trucks and blaming it on the "pandemic" and "chip shortage".

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am currently in Lake Charles to pick up the Longhorn I ordered in September that arrived in Port Allen on the 8th. Well, the time has come to drive home, fly the family in one way for the week to visit family and the plan was to drive back the new truck. Well, the truck still hasn't arrived to Mark Dodge.

I'm thinking of buying a Big Horn they have, night edition, that I think I can get for around $44k. Do you think I could sell it either on Carvana or Vroom for The same or a bit more when I get back to Arizona? It 2ould have less than 1500 miles on it. The discount from Mark is either 9 or 10k off MSRP, I feel like it may work but kind of afraid to screw up and be upside down on a truck I don't want.

Thanks for the help!
Are you planning to buy the bighorn basically just to use as a way to get everyone home and then you would sell it and go back to Lake Charles once your Longhorn arrives? I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to sell it for close to what you paid for it but depending on the cost of tax, title and license in AZ you'll likely take a hit there that you couldn't recover. In MN where I am the TTL would be 4-5K over sale price and I am not sure new trucks are rare enough for someone to pay enough to cover your purchase price plus all those fees for a 1 week old truck with 1500miles on it.

lastdon87

Reaction score
Are you planning to buy the bighorn basically just to use as a way to get everyone home and then you would sell it and go back to Lake Charles once your Longhorn arrives? I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to sell it for close to what you paid for it but depending on the cost of tax, title and license in AZ you'll likely take a hit there that you couldn't recover. In MN where I am the TTL would be 4-5K over sale price and I am not sure new trucks are rare enough for someone to pay enough to cover your purchase price plus all those fees for a 1 week old truck with 1500miles on it.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'd be using for...just a way home instead of buying 4 last minute one way flights. The tax definitely sucks and is a potential issue, I think the license fees would be refunded by AZ, but I'd have to double check.

n8zcc

Reaction score

Thanks for the help!
Well, the Federal Reserve announced they are going to raise the interest rate and fuel pricing is sky high and will likely remain high through the summer. This will have a high impact on used truck pricing but like what has been posted, no telling what will or can happen. Heck, for all we know we could wake up tomorrow and discover WW3 has launched, it is that unstable right now.

If it was me, I'd bite the bullet, fly home and wait for the call. Most likely, you will get the call the truck is ready about the time you get home. Longhorns are drop-dead beautiful and worth the wait. Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope it works out for you.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, that's exactly what I'd be using for...just a way home instead of buying 4 last minute one way flights. The tax definitely sucks and is a potential issue, I think the license fees would be refunded by AZ, but I'd have to double check.
have you looked at a UHaul van or large SUV/Truck rental? Likely too expensive to renat an SUV/Truck with shortages and additional fees for one-way rental and you probably need more seats than a UHaul... I was in AZ for work once and needed a vehiclke to get to LV and drive around a few days and ended up renting a small moving truck for $99 and unlimited miles since they are set-up for one-way rentals.

wsutard1

Reaction score

Thanks for the help!
Many places won’t buy your truck without it being titled and registered first. That will take a few weeks to a month.
Also, the raising fuel prices have cause Carvana offers on trucks to drop significantly recently. Prior to the high fuel prices I would have said you might come out even. Now, my guess is you would lose money.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rent a truck. I think Hertz even had some Limiteds last time I rented (December).

Louhound88

Reaction score
Is there a reason why I see everyone talking about Mark Dodge? I live in the area and even I didn't use them. Trying to understand why so many seem to use them..

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a reason why I see everyone talking about Mark Dodge? I live in the area and even I didn't use them. Trying to understand why so many seem to use them..
Money.

money.gif

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How so though? Are there special incentives for online or remote orders? At the time I bought my truck they weren't close to being the best priced.
When did you buy your truck, because when I ordered mine in October, I couldn't find a dealer that could touch their pricing. Most dealers acted like I was making up what Mark Dodge quoted me.

Louhound88

Reaction score
When did you buy your truck, because when I ordered mine in October, I couldn't find a dealer that could touch their pricing. Most dealers acted like I was making up what Mark Dodge quoted me.
Jan of last year. Sort of around when vehicles were becoming more scarce but overall not too hard to find on the lots. I've actually purchased from Mark Dodge before my Ram. Minimal discount on the truck i wanted to buy, but also low trade in value on the truck I had bought from them just a year or so prior. Overall I like the place but wasn't sure if there were special incentives when ordering that made travel worthwhile.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jan of last year. Sort of around when vehicles were becoming more scarce but overall not too hard to find on the lots. I've actually purchased from Mark Dodge before my Ram. Minimal discount on the truck i wanted to buy, but also low trade in value on the truck I had bought from them just a year or so prior. Overall I like the place but wasn't sure if there were special incentives when ordering that made travel worthwhile.
I think they've just avoided the $10k+ "market adjustment" so many dealers are fond of these days. That alone gets them my business in the future. They've also completely streamlined and simplified online ordering. It was honestly easier for me to rent a car and drive over from Florida, than it's ever been to buy locally.

irod87

Reaction score
I think finding a rental might be more in your favor to avoid a potential financial loss on the resale of that truck.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I ordered a few months after that in early March from 1500 miles away because much like others here, no one else would get close to what they were offering (and with good service to boot). I did sell privately and had the truck delivered so I can't really speak to the trade in side but for ordering they by far provided the best dealer discount, before rebates, that I had seen.

From what I remember it seemed like they were very well established on here by the time I ordered because I ordered with complete confidence, so I'm not sure what happened in your scenario.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for the help!
Probably not. Carvana and Vroom want to give me $34,769 and $34,785 for my 21 ram 1500 night edition with only 2600 miles.

lastdon87

Reaction score
Probably not. Carvana and Vroom want to give me $34,769 and $34,785 for my 21 ram 1500 night edition with only 2600 miles.
Thanks for that info, definitely helps my decision. I would like to rent a car, but they seem all out now stock too...really weird. Might just bite the bullet and fly I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread