5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement shock absorbers on a 4-corner air-suspension Ram.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
looking to replace rear shocks soon on my 19' limited what bilstein option do i have ? im not comfortable enought yet to disect my front air bags but would love to hear more about it maybe even a video on how its done...

E.Hands

Reaction score
Don't be intimidated. If you are mechanically inclined, have plenty of tools and a cool place to work. It isn't very difficult.
It's a great upgrade over the worn down, weak control of the factory shocks and sway bar. I really liked the tighter control I gained.
I adjusted the Hellwig to the inner, tightest setting and haven't gone back to the middle setting.
But at this point I'm starting to wonder if going with the 5100 series shocks and the 1-1/4" rear sway bar would be any more harsh.
If I am not mistaken the 5100's have multiple ring grooves, so perhaps the raising the front snap ring would level the truck?
It would be interesting to find out. But it will have to wait until after I change the tires to Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't be intimidated. If you are mechanically inclined, have plenty of tools and a cool place to work. It isn't very difficult.
It's a great upgrade over the worn down, weak control of the factory shocks and sway bar. I really liked the tighter control I gained.
I adjusted the Hellwig to the inner, tightest setting and haven't gone back to the middle setting.
But at this point I'm starting to wonder if going with the 5100 series shocks and the 1-1/4" rear sway bar would be any more harsh.
If I am not mistaken the 5100's have multiple ring grooves, so perhaps the raising the front snap ring would level the truck?
It would be interesting to find out. But it will have to wait until after I change the tires to Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2

What shocks do you recommend for the rears? I thinks it’s due time my trucks at 96k and riding a little rough.

Farmertan

Reaction score
What shocks do you recommend for the rears? I thinks it’s due time my trucks at 96k and riding a little

I have a 4th gen Longhorn 4x4 with air suspension, 175k miles. Two years ago I replaced the rear shocks with Bilstein 5100s (B8) They work well. I also had a shop replace my leaky rear air bags with Arnot bags.) Now my front shocks are shot and I am searching the forums to find out what kind of shock to install. So far, it seems like the Bilstein 4600 will work.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Thanks for posting all this. Do you have the part number from the original front Mopar shock you pulled out of the airbag? I'm contemplating going with the Bilstein vs the factory Mopar shocks and trying to identify the part number I would need for the front on the Mopars is a bit of a pain.

Any update on how the ride is compared to stock with the Bilsteins?

I would definitely upgrade to Bilstein's over Mopar just for the longevity alone, then benefit from improved valving.
In addition if you off road or have increased the unsprung weight by adding larger tires, then I would suggest the 5100 series.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 7

GSD222

Reaction score
I would definitely upgrade to Bilstein's over Mopar just for the longevity alone, then benefit from improved valving.
In addition if you off road or have increased the unsprung weight by adding larger tires, then I would suggest the 5100 series.

Thanks for the pics. Was curious if Mopar had a different part number for the shock inside the airbag but suspected they wouldn't. Talked to the parts department at a dealer a few days ago to get the rear shock part number you posted there (68262591AC) and asked them the difference between that and the 68262590ACs, and of course they didn't know anything except that the 2591s are for the air suspension. Buddy offered me a set of basically new 2590s for free so that's why I was curious, but my application is essentially the same as yours (all highway and no offroad) so probably going with the 4600s.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I am more than happy with the 4600's on the rear and am sure I'll be even happier once the matching fronts show up.
I pondered the 5100's briefly as I could have sworn I ran them on one of my previous 1500's but all my receipts showed I purchased 4600's.

I'm still waiting for my OEM fronts to ship but I did receive the Bilstein 24-329132 for testing purposes. The groove width matches one of my cutters perfectly so now I just need to see what it's going to take to chuck it up in the lathe.

FYI, when I purchased the OEM Bilstein front shocks, the dealer put a pause on my order stating that they were not a direct fit for my VIN and asked if I was intentionally modifying my vehicle. I believe the Bilstein's are OEM for the 4x4 Rebels but are they really considered a modification on a 2wd? Regardless, I plowed forward knowing they would work.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Was curious if Mopar had a different part number for the shock inside the airbag but suspected they wouldn't. Talked to the parts department at a dealer a few days ago to get the rear shock part number you posted there (68262591AC) and asked them the difference between that and the 68262590ACs, and of course they didn't know anything except that the 2591s are for the air suspension. Buddy offered me a set of basically new 2590s for free so that's why I was curious, but my application is essentially the same as yours (all highway and no offroad) so probably going with the 4600s.
Let us know if your factory shocks are still holding pressure when you take them off.
One of my rears had no pressure at all.

GSD222

Reaction score
Let us know if your factory shocks are still holding pressure when you take them off.
One of my rears had no pressure at all.
Definitely. I plan on taking pics as well to hopefully add to what you've posted here already. I have another post here about air suspension leaking issues that I've been having and as a DIYer there aren't many resources out there as of now with a lot of these trucks still under factory warranty. I'm used to working on older Land Cruisers (down to owning 1 now), and one of the great things about working on them is all the information from DIYers online who have figured out things that I'd never think of.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Both of my rears were holding pressure still but, they retracted when I disconnected them from the truck which is an absolute first for me.
This really makes me question the valving differences in the shocks meant for air ride suspension. which is why I ordered the w/o air-ride shock so I can side by side comparisons of all 3 shocks while I have things apart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread