5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement shock absorbers on a 4-corner air-suspension Ram.

E.Hands

Reaction score
@E. Hands, any more feedback on the swap? Any modifications necessary like it seems was required (shims) on the 4th gens? I'm looking at swapping 5100's on my front shocks since I've got 5100s on my rears already. Part number I'm looking at is 24-300872. Replacing the rears really helped the ride at 106k miles on my Limited. Now I'm realizing my fronts need swapped pretty bad. Hoping the extra grooves on the fronts will keep me away from needing to purchase the special ones with the groove machined in that special spot.
Only other feedback is, when you get it done, you will be happy that you did it.
And pleased with the money that you saved doing it!

Loganator456

Reaction score
Only other feedback is, when you get it done, you will be happy that you did it.
And pleased with the money that you saved doing it!
Thanks! Only question I have, or what I'm worried about, is potentially having to charge the system & whatever costs/dealer headaches that may entail. My air ride seems to be working just fine right now.
The standard step I'm seeing is to take the suspension down to entry/exit to keep the most amount of air in the system, not the shocks. Anything else you had to do?

E.Hands

Reaction score
Thanks! Only question I have, or what I'm worried about, is potentially having to charge the system & whatever costs/dealer headaches that may entail. My air ride seems to be working just fine right now.
The standard step I'm seeing is to take the suspension down to entry/exit to keep the most amount of air in the system, not the shocks. Anything else you had to do?
That's exactly what I did. And obviously you don't want to do it under extremely humid conditions, like while it is raining.
Once you have removed the air line's flare nut, you may hear a slight pressure release. Then back out the brass fitting on top of the shock. This will allow any residual pressure out and will allow the shock to fully compress during it's removal process.
I used a long pry bar to remove the shock from between the LCA (lower control arm) and the frame.
There was no need to remove the LCA.

Understand that if the system needs more air volume to work with once operational, it will simply take in outside air as needed.
So don't turn on the ignition until everything is buttoned back up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread