5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement shock absorbers on a 4-corner air-suspension Ram.

Werdna87

Reaction score
This may be a little off topic. I just got a 21 big horn and was thinking of swapping for the rebel suspension that I found on marketplace. Anyone have any experience with it? Worth it? This is my first full size truck so I’m a newby. Ive got the Ecodiesel and will eventually want to tow and pumper pull TT. Besides that its just gonna be used as a regular truck. Have been looking at the aftermarket airbags as well so not sure if its even worth the swap. I appreciate any useful input.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Bilstein B6 4600 shock for coil spring, Part Number 24-329132 = Widely available from several retailers for $113 each.

Bilstein B6 4600 shock for air bag, Part Number 68323489AD = Only available from the dealerships for $360 - $500 EACH!
I'm at 122k miles and experiencing a shimmy that I believe is wheel hop due to worn out shocks. I've got 4600's ordered for the rear but all the Mopar suppliers are showing the fronts as backordered. I'm tempted to order a pair of the 24-329132's just to find out if I can make them work.

But, I've done a ton of searching and can't find where anyone has made anything other than OEM work.

E.Hands

Reaction score
I'm at 122k miles and experiencing a shimmy that I believe is wheel hop due to worn out shocks. I've got 4600's ordered for the rear but all the Mopar suppliers are showing the fronts as backordered. I'm tempted to order a pair of the 24-329132's just to find out if I can make them work.

But, I've done a ton of searching and can't find where anyone has made anything other than OEM work.
I would be interested to see if you can make the 24-329132's work. The main difference I could see is the position of the ring groove on the shock body. On the 24-329132 it appears to be approximately one third the total shock body's length up from the bottom mount. Where as on the 68323489AD it more like one quarter?

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
National backorder on the front shocks, no estimated shipping date and they aren't even taking orders to get in line for when they are available.
MoparPartsOnline is the only site I've found that would let you actually place an order and they are $369.34/each.

As for that groove, I'd love to have one in my hands to see if it's just machined in and if the structure allows for it to be added in the correct location. It would take me minutes to chuck it up in the lathe and cut that groove in.

ThatAirRideThough

Reaction score
I completed the swap, new Rebel/Bilstein dampers installed INSIDE the original factory airbags. It went much better than I pessimistically feared. View attachment 180391 View attachment 180390
It appears that the Rebel shock extends another half inch in rebound.

Airbag disassembly requires patients and finesse. But it can be done without any beating and banging.
View attachment 180392 View attachment 180393 View attachment 180394
Many more insights to share if anyone is interested.
Yes please, all the insights would be greatly appreciated! 😁

E.Hands

Reaction score
National backorder on the front shocks, no estimated shipping date and they aren't even taking orders to get in line for when they are available.
MoparPartsOnline is the only site I've found that would let you actually place an order and they are $369.34/each.

As for that groove, I'd love to have one in my hands to see if it's just machined in and if the structure allows for it to be added in the correct location. It would take me minutes to chuck it up in the lathe and cut that groove in.
Which part# rear shock are you looking for? The ones that I used seem to be readily available. At Summit Racing and else where.
1721044180545.png

E.Hands

Reaction score
Yes please, all the insights would be greatly appreciated! 😁
Just give me a specific question and I'll see how much I can remember
That's all the groove is. Just machined in. I don't have a lathe but I was considering finding a sleeve (pipe?) that would slide over the shock body and rest on the lower mount... and just cut it to the proper length.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
The rears are readily available from multiple sources and I got them installed last night. I went with the same Bilstein 24-228848's that you did.
I would have had them installed last weekend but one showed up without the hardware and I had to order a replacement.

The ride to work was much better this morning so now I want to get the fronts done even more. I still can't believe there aren't more options available for these trucks.

I spoke to my local dealer last week about ordering a set of the front shocks and their system only shows the entire strut/airbag as an assembly, not the individual replacement strut like all the online sites do. I'm having a hard time swallowing the $375/each price tag so there's no way I'm spending $1050 per side for the whole assembly, especially when I only need the strut. Ridiculous that these aren't priced in the $100-$150 range like all the other shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread