5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repaint a New RAM?

HAL9001

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited, Night Edition in black. I always do a detailed inspection before I accept the vehicle, but this time the salesman walked up to me and apologized for a paint defect the dealership found. There is a tiny area on the hood where the paint is slightly raised in a tiny round bump. It's visible but you have to look very closely, most people wouldn't even notice it in passing. It's not really that bad and I might have just let it go, but they insist on fixing it. I also found another slight defect on the right fender where the paint has an area with a very tiny bump like a tiny grain of sand was painted over. Again, it's hard to see even when you know it's there. The dealership wants to fix that too.

While I'm delighted that the dealership is so responsive to making this right, I'm concerned about having the entire hood and the right fender sanded down and then repainted for such minor defects. They have a professional body shop and I assume they do great work, but to have two major sections of a brand-new vehicle repainted is a tough decision. I don't know if the paint will be as good in the long term as the factory paint. I've had vehicles repainted in body shops before due to accidents, and except for one instance, it was fine. But to have a brand-new vehicle repainted for two small defects?

I can't make up my mind. I'm concerned that if I don't, I may regret not to have had it fixed for free when it could have, and if I do, I will regret it if the repaint proves to be not as good as the factory paint over the long term.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on this either way especially from anyone who's been through this or is an expert on automotive painting.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I might ask to take the vehicle to a high-end, third-party detailed or body shop for a second opinion. They might be able to reduce or eliminate the issues with a polish, and they could give you better advice.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited, Night Edition in black. I always do a detailed inspection before I accept the vehicle, but this time the salesman walked up to me and apologized for a paint defect the dealership found. There is a tiny area on the hood where the paint is slightly raised in a tiny round bump. It's visible but you have to look very closely, most people wouldn't even notice it in passing. It's not really that bad and I might have just let it go, but they insist on fixing it. I also found another slight defect on the right fender where the paint has an area with a very tiny bump like a tiny grain of sand was painted over. Again, it's hard to see even when you know it's there. The dealership wants to fix that too.

While I'm delighted that the dealership is so responsive to making this right, I'm concerned about having the entire hood and the right fender sanded down and then repainted for such minor defects. They have a professional body shop and I assume they do great work, but to have two major sections of a brand-new vehicle repainted is a tough decision. I don't know if the paint will be as good in the long term as the factory paint. I've had vehicles repainted in body shops before due to accidents, and except for one instance, it was fine. But to have a brand-new vehicle repainted for two small defects?

I can't make up my mind. I'm concerned that if I don't, I may regret not to have had it fixed for free when it could have, and if I do, I will regret it if the repaint proves to be not as good as the factory paint over the long term.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on this either way especially from anyone who's been through this or is an expert on automotive painting.
I would feel the same way you do! What a tough decision to make and yes it’s great that the dealership and ram are wanting to make this right. I think if it doesn’t bother you, I’d leave it alone and either ask for a check for the amount it would be to fix it or have both areas documented and a statement from ram saying that if you ever have a paint issue in these areas that ram will fix it as long as you own it. That’s what I would do! I’d guess this could cost $3,000 or more? Good luck in whatever you decide!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I found a bump in the paint of a previous vehicle, it was a rather large paint drip on the edge of the driver's door. The dealership thought a repaint was necessary. Luckily the detail guy inspected and stated it was simply excess clear coat drip and buffed it off in about 5 minutes.

A lot of the imperfections are just sitting at the top of the clear, I would confirm with a detail person what is needed. Every vehicle has small defects in the paint, if it does however require a repaint, I would still avoid a repaint if it's that small.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I would feel the same way you do! What a tough decision to make and yes it’s great that the dealership and ram are wanting to make this right. I think if it doesn’t bother you, I’d leave it alone and either ask for a check for the amount it would be to fix it or have both areas documented and a statement from ram saying that if you ever have a paint issue in these areas that ram will fix it as long as you own it. That’s what I would do! I’d guess this could cost $3,000 or more? Good luck in whatever you decide!
I agree with this - ask for an appearance allowance ($3k might be a little steep but never hurts to ask!) and move on your way is what I would do. If you can live with the imperfections, then take a check rather than run the possibility of mismatched panels....JMO

HAL9001

Reaction score
I agree with this - ask for an appearance allowance ($3k might be a little steep but never hurts to ask!) and move on your way is what I would do. If you can live with the imperfections, then take a check rather than run the possibility of mismatched panels....JMO
I really don't think asking for a check is an option just as if you required warranty work on a vehicle and asked for money instead. It's not like auto insurance where you do have that option. With a warranty repair, it's probably either have it fixed or not.

According to the dealer, the repair cost is $2100. I can't see RAM handing me a check for $2K for some very minor paint issues.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I really don't think asking for a check is an option just as if you required warranty work on a vehicle and asked for money instead. It's not like auto insurance where you do have that option. With a warranty repair, it's probably either have it fixed or not.

According to the dealer, the repair cost is $2100. I can't see RAM handing me a check for $2K for some very minor paint issues.
Gotcha - I work in claims for a large Insurer, which is why my mind went immediately to Appearance Allowance

HAL9001

Reaction score
Gotcha - I work in claims for a large Insurer, which is why my mind went immediately to Appearance Allowance
I wish it was an option, I would gladly take $2K for two paint flaws I can hardly see.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not sure they will either, but if they are willing to pay the dealer 2100 to fix it? What I’m getting at is because your worried about fixing it, I would be too! If they just pay you the money to live with the imperfections and be done with it! Either way they pay out 2100!

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the paint issues you're mentioning are just dust specs, it's possible that a wet sand and buff is all that's needed. If the mark on the hood is larger, like oxidation under the paint, I would have the hood repainted. They don't need to do any blending for a black hood. It sounds like you only have dirt in the clear. My truck has a few of those also, but I'm not going to worry about them as the repair could be worse than the imperfection and the location of them will not be seen by anyone except me.

HAL9001

Reaction score
If the paint issues you're mentioning are just dust specs, it's possible that a wet sand and buff is all that's needed. If the mark on the hood is larger, like oxidation under the paint, I would have the hood repainted. They don't need to do any blending for a black hood. It sounds like you only have dirt in the clear. My truck has a few of those also, but I'm not going to worry about them as the repair could be worse than the imperfection and the location of them will not be seen by anyone except me.
The defect in the fender is probably a dust spec or dirt in the clearcoat, the hood defect is either a slight build-up of too much paint or clearcoat. They had the body shop look at both and they said they were going to sand then repaint the hood and the fender. I thought that was extreme but what do I know. The cost was $2100 for both. Again, both are barely visible, you really have to look closely.

My thoughts are the same, I'm worried the fix might cause more issues than it's worth.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The defect in the fender is probably a dust spec or dirt in the clearcoat, the hood defect is either a slight build-up of too much paint or clearcoat. They had the body shop look at both and they said they were going to sand then repaint the hood and the fender. I thought that was extreme but what do I know. The cost was $2100 for both. Again, both are barely visible, you really have to look closely.

My thoughts are the same, I'm worried the fix might cause more issues than it's worth.

Its not a big deal, you just need to see how competent they are. As to see previously repaired cars from them. If you don't know anything about paint and bodywork, ask a friend that does to look at their work. Flaws are easy to spot if you know what you're looking for

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
If it doesn’t bother you I’d just let it go and enjoy your truck. Congrats and welcome!

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be concerned that they want to repaint the rear quarter. This will require blending and if they aren't the greatest at what they do, the repair will be seen more than the spec you mentioned. Plus, the orange peel won't match the factory. If it were me, and not knowing what you're really dealing with, I'd leave the side alone and have just the larger area addressed on the hood. I would also get a second opinion from a detail shop on if they think repaint is necessary. $2100 is alot, but under warranty, the dealer might be looking to just make a buck. I haven't seen many dealerships with quality body shop/paint these days.

Also, under warranty, the job might not be done correctly. I had a 2003 Monte Carlo that had solvent popping issues in the clear. The entire car got repainted, but GM wanted to take shortcuts. They didn't authorize the removal of window trim, lights, etc. They wanted to just Maaco tape things off, scuff and repaint. This was on a $30k car in 2003!!. Luckily, the body shop manager found a way to do it correctly AND get paid for it.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score

I had a half dollar sized spot of what looked like little pimples on my hood. They fully repainted it. You could feel the imperfection more than see it, very miniscule.

I am anal about detail and asked them to repaint. When done I requested they reshim the hood (could fit two credit cards between fender and hood one side and five on another).

After paint it is not distinguishable unless you look specifically for flake differences, even still barely noticeable. Or maybe I see it because i want to be upset about something.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In some respects you're fortunate that the color is black. My last black Ram had to be painted due to damage from a wandering mailbox (long story). Without any metallic component you couldn't see any color variation. The problem, although minor, was the area repainted on the box was smoother with less orange peel than the rest of the truck. Also, the clear coat product used by the body shop was not as hard and over time the surface, if not waxed often, exposed a lot of very fine scratches. I would've had another shop repaint it if I'd had kept the truck.

Tough decision, I know.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044703 miles.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I have a paint defect on my passenger door. About the size of a quarter. If I didnt tell you, you probably would never know. Dealer would repaint under warranty. I chose not to repaint.

Someone on the forum told me if that little area bothers you then wait till its repainted and the entire door bothers you.

I tried to have Ram give me an extended warranty in lieu of repainting. That was a big fat NO.

nburd

Reaction score
Black or “metallic black” would sway my decision. Black is easier to match than black metallic in my opinion. So far, I have not seen a perfect body/paint repair or paint on anything I have had fixed. There is always a blend issue, Paint texture issue or debris in the paint. I have even taken cars 2+ hours away for “the best” and never got myself satisfied. I am too picky.

I would insist in writing that anything less than premium OEM paint work , or any dust, debris, drips, incorrect orange peel, sand marks, Visible body work, Fish eyes, Splatter, visible blending, overspray, paint too thick, Overspray, too thin etc is grounds for a redo until perfect. Also remember, I have found that new paint shrinks a little over time. Items not visible when you pick up, seem to become visible after a few days to a week. Will they warranty the paint work for life (many shops do). Or just the Ram factory warranty.

Urethane paints (urethane clearcoats) are great products and can be applied with perfection. But no shop wants to put the time in for perfection,

Tough decision, black will show any defect more than any other paint.

I have an New Electric Hyundai that a Rock was thrown from my mower. Put a 1.5” dent right in the middle of the drivers door. I took it to the best shop 1 hour away. I told them I wanted perfection as noted above, I was very assertive on what quality I was demanding and why I picked there shop. I picked it up and although the paint blend is near perfect (blue metallic) And orange peel texture is perfect (Hyundai’s have horrid orange peel), the body work where the dent was is visible, especially at an angle, 3 fisheyes, many specs of dust in the door and one black debris spot or Booger right in the door 3” under the drivers mirror, about 1/8” diameter. I immediately pointed out the defects To the manager. They said they would redo it and contact me for an appointment. That was in June of 2020 and I am still awaiting my call.

I have an indian chieftain Gray metallic that the saddlebag lid got scratched. I bought $200 in indian OEM Imron paint and took it to a local shop. It was Almost perfect except for a visible drip off the edge of the lid from The clear coat.

I know I am venting. I hate to be a naysayer, I wish I could find perfection, but it does not exist, in my world.

At least ask to see 2-3 samples Vehicles of their work before they touch it. Especially black!

it does sound to me that since you noticed these defects, you have a keen eye, as I do. The post above mine really sums it up. You can look past a small spot or two but every time you look at your fender or hood after a repaint, while waxing, washing, drying, Admiring, you may regret this decision every time If not done right.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Tough decision. It‘s so hard finding a good shop that I would try to see if they can wet sand and buff the affected areas instead of re-spraying, and go from there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had a fairly decent size run in the paint on my truck. Body shop sanded it down and polished the paint in that area. Based on what you are describing, I would think a wet sand and buff would do the job

Users who are viewing this thread