5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Rear Taillights

kilcher

Reaction score
Bought trim removal tools to remove my taillights, wanting to replace the regular bulbs with LED’s. On the videos I watched these pieces popped right out but on mine they won’t budge and just break off. Do yours look like this? They don’t have a regular solid plastic head on them, they’re round and hollow in the center. They just bend and break when you try to pop them out.

Looking at the pics again, maybe these don’t pop out, maybe I need a tool to kind of unscrew them? Maybe the videos I watched were on DS’s and not DT’s. Not sure.

Attachments

• 4A49CAF3-C2C4-4EA8-ABE3-BF2C3007015A.jpeg
    4A49CAF3-C2C4-4EA8-ABE3-BF2C3007015A.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 6B80A945-9905-4BEC-B2E5-4D521BE48DA6.jpeg
    6B80A945-9905-4BEC-B2E5-4D521BE48DA6.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 74

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine just popped out with the trim removal tool, I’ve had them off several times.

kilcher

Reaction score
Probably, just found this and they look the same as mine...

But they will not come out that outer plastic rim on the cap just bends and breaks. Frustrating because I already bought the bulbs and it seems like it should be easy!

kilcher

Reaction score
Watch this video around the 48s mark.

Saw that, tried pulling another one off using a pair of pliers and the outer ring snapped right off - so it came out but will need to be replaced. The one I had previously ruined I got out with a drill. So it looks like I can get them out but will need to buy new ones. It'll have to do. Thanks for the help!

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw that, tried pulling another one off using a pair of pliers and the outer ring snapped right off - so it came out but will need to be replaced. The one I had previously ruined I got out with a drill. So it looks like I can get them out but will need to buy new ones. It'll have to do. Thanks for the help!
No problem, hope you get it done.

Nickv1214

Reaction score
That’s weird I’ve had my tail lights out a bunch and never had a problem with those breaking . They pop right out

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s weird I’ve had my tail lights out a bunch and never had a problem with those breaking . They pop right out
Same here, not sure why the OP’s were so temperamental to remove.

Boston

Reaction score
There are videos on you tube about people adding the Ram tailgate assist which requires tail light removal. Do both if you don’t have it already

kilcher

Reaction score
The other two broke as well, had to drill them out. I was surprised by how much mud was built up behind the taillights when I took them out so maybe that's got something to do with it. All good now, just have to order new plugs. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread