5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removed air dam and now feel vibrations underneath floorboard

Pyrotik

Reaction score
Hey guys, per my title, I removed the air damn and the electronic air dam (left on the motors for now) and when I hit around 65+ MPH, I feel vibrations coming from underneath and can feel it all through my pedal as well.

My question is this..has this happened to anyone else and found a fix? I love the way it looks with it off but don't like feeling like I compromised the amazing ride quality.
I went and checked and all my cords are nice and snug so they aren't being blown around by wind or anything. I think it would be fixed with some sort of skid plate to help the aerodynamics but there seems to be no aftermarket one for the stock bumper unless I get a bull bar.
I doubt having the motors in place would cause that.

Worst case I'll just have to put them back on and go get a 2 inch lift to compensate, I keep tapping the darn thing when I'm going to work (driving over levees and junk).

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turbulence you think? Some of us have been lobbying for a debris shield from radiator to K-member. Wonder if something like that would help.

Pyrotik

Reaction score
Turbulence you think? Some of us have been lobbying for a debris shield from radiator to K-member. Wonder if something like that would help.
That’s what I’m thinking, I wish there was one I’d buy it in a heartbeat! I get why they can’t make one because of lifts and what not but still.

Limo21

Reaction score
I have removed my air dam for almost a year now and I haven't noticed anything as to what you are experiencing. My was just the plastic valance, not the automatic air dam...not sure it makes any difference.

I'm still on the hunt for find someone who will do the fabrication for a "skid plate/debris shield" that goes from the radiator to the K-member as Rick3478 mentioned...

Pyrotik

Reaction score
I have removed my air dam for almost a year now and I haven't noticed anything as to what you are experiencing. My was just the plastic valance, not the automatic air dam...not sure it makes any difference.

I'm still on the hunt for find someone who will do the fabrication for a "skid plate/debris shield" that goes from the radiator to the K-member as Rick3478 mentioned...
You left on the electronic one? Doesn’t look silly with that hanging down behind the bumper?

Bob.

Reaction score
You mentioned driving over leaves and such, could it be possible you have dirt in your wheels causing an out of balance condition?

Sometimes us in the snowbelt have ice form in the rims causing a vibration on cold days until it melts off.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't think it would be the motor but is it still plug in? Can you take a picture of that area. As i recall i think you also have an after market front bumber. Can that also cause some sort of wind disturbance?

Pyrotik

Reaction score
You mentioned driving over leaves and such, could it be possible you have dirt in your wheels causing an out of balance condition?

Sometimes us in the snowbelt have ice form in the rims causing a vibration on cold days until it melts off.
It's possible. I wash it all by hand so it's not like I have sprayers that really blast in there. I'll get up underneath and see if I have something weird stuck. Seems I'm the only one who has ever felt this haha

Pyrotik

Reaction score
Don't think it would be the motor but is it still plug in? Can you take a picture of that area. As i recall i think you also have an after market front bumber. Can that also cause some sort of wind disturbance?
No I have the motor unplugged but it's just sitting there. No My bumper is all stock. Just weird that I'd feel wind beating the front like that so much if that's really the case. I'll get a pic tomorrow when I have daylight back

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You left on the electronic one? Doesn’t look silly with that hanging down behind the bumper?
I think he means his truck only came with the fixed air dam, and didn't come with the AAD.

I can say I've removed both air dams on three different 5th gens (2020 Laramie, 2020 Limited, 2021 Limited) and never had any issues. They all seemed to drive the same after removal. The wife and I didn't notice any difference. Just because I'm curious, what year and model is your truck?

Pyrotik

Reaction score
I think he means his truck only came with the fixed air dam, and didn't come with the AAD.

I can say I've removed both air dams on three different 5th gens (2020 Laramie, 2020 Limited, 2021 Limited) and never had any issues. They all seemed to drive the same after removal. The wife and I didn't notice any difference. Just because I'm curious, what year and model is your truck?
22 bighorn

And here’s the pics for the other guy:

461879BE-52C3-433F-8F4F-F3167D8E4E14.jpeg

Attachments

• 14534277-B784-45E2-96CE-1E861DA47DA8.jpeg
    14534277-B784-45E2-96CE-1E861DA47DA8.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 690B79D1-81FF-4BFD-977F-8B79FFFC2632.jpeg
    690B79D1-81FF-4BFD-977F-8B79FFFC2632.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 34

Pyrotik

Reaction score
I took off my motors today and wondering if with those removed I’ll still feel it. Will update next time I’m on highway just for future reference.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know recently a saw a post that described your issue but couldn't find it.
But I found this, check post #6 seems like it might be the same thing you are experiencing. There is also a video. No solutions have been posted.

Users who are viewing this thread