5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

remove spare tire to increase payload

jthorn75

Reaction score
No! Your payload is set at the factory, if you get pulled over, the cop will get your payload either from your sticker or your owner card. He’s not going to wanna hear that you gained payload by dropping your spare. Now if you add aftermarket parts it will decrease your payload. If there’s a issue the cop will call for back up and another cop will will show with weight mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if I have a lift and bigger wheels will they go off the card or the fact it’s obvious there’s a lower payload?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you would be pulled over for weight they would go off of GVWR...which is 7100lbs for a 4x4 gas 1500

The payload number is a recommendation and information.

Payload is GVWR minus base weight.

So...when you change tires and wheels to larger ones...your base weight goes up. When you add accessories ...your base weight goes up.

Then you will have less payload available to the 7100 GVWR.

You would also have to be overloaded enough that they would have reason to pull you over.

With a front level you take the rake away from the truck...and when loaded to max...your lights will shine high...and this could instigate the pull over.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
will removing my spare tire increase my payload? i have 35s now and wonder if the spare is worth it.
Again...you need a spare tire...but it needs to be the same size.

What exactly is the plan here. You think you do not need it since it is the wrong size? You think it will offset the new tire weight?

If it is truly a payload concern...it will lower base weight effectively allowing more payload...but your tire size has affected your towing more than their added weight.

Interesting.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your right! My truck is 7100lbs but the dealership registered it as a class 2. Had they gone with class 3 my plates would have been almost $190 a year. For what? 99lbs, it wasn’t worth it for my needs.

$190? I would have paid that in a heartbeat for the peace of mind knowing that I was not at risk of getting pulled over or adding another ticket if I got stopped for something else.

My registration cost me $721 this year...

jthorn75

Reaction score
Again...you need a spare tire...but it needs to be the same size.

What exactly is the plan here. You think you do not need it since it is the wrong size? You think it will offset the new tire weight?

If it is truly a payload concern...it will lower base weight effectively allowing more payload...but your tire size has affected your towing more than their added weight.

Interesting.
its not, it was just a simple question that is getting into something much bigger... i dont need the payload space, i was just curious..

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20201001-080345.png
I have 2 class 3 trucks...99 and 03 2500 @ 8800lb GVWR each and 1 class 4 ...2015 2500 @ 10000lb GVWR

So 560 for 3 trucks....man I love PA. Thanks for reminding me lol

NDanecker

Reaction score
You guys are getting robbed at those registration prices. No worries --- NJ gets us in other ways! LOL..

Attachments

• 2020-10-01_19-11-26.jpg
    2020-10-01_19-11-26.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 19

Drewster

Reaction score
No! Your payload is set at the factory, if you get pulled over, the cop will get your payload either from your sticker or your owner card. He’s not going to wanna hear that you gained payload by dropping your spare. Now if you add aftermarket parts it will decrease your payload. If there’s a issue the cop will call for back up and another cop will will show with weight mats.

Coworker has a Chevy, half ton his owners card list the truck less then 7000 lbs. which here in Pennsylvania is a class 2 but he had the dealership register his truck at class 3 which doubles the cost his yearly plates, he thinks he’s driving a class 3 truck (3/4 ton) But he’s not. Any cop is going to use the weight from the factory.

What's the cop going to do? Pull out a set of scales and write you a ticket? They're only going to care if you're doing something *blatantly* unsafe, which is *not* in the realm of 100lbs

Towing a car with a camper in the bed? You'll probably get pulled over. Towing a triple axle 5th wheel with your 1/2 ton truck pointed to the sky? You'll probably get pulled over.

Towing a reasonable bumper pull with 100lbs in the tanks putting you over? Yeah nobody cares. You might get a ticket for *speeding* but as long as you look safe and are driving safe, no cop is going out of their way to follow you to a weigh station.

OP, the answer to your question is yes - the weight of that tire, the seats, etc. is all part of calculating payload, so the more you tear out the more you can carry in terms of physics (with the obvious sacrifice of safety and comfort). Unfortunately if you're worried about the legal ramifications (i.e. you lost control of a hideously overweight trailer and killed somebody), it's obviously unlikely to stand up in court.

*This* guy is getting a ticket, though.
Overloaded-11th-gen-Ford-F-150-King-Ranch-1024x576.jpg

Snakes709

Reaction score

think you are misunderstanding what he is asking. If your payload limit is 1400lbs and you take 75lbs of weight out of your truck, your truck now weighs less, meaning you can add 1475lbs of weight and still be at the 1400 limit. He isnt asking if he takes 75lbs out will the limit be 75lbs over the sticker limit. And why would you tell a cop you added payload limit? If you are being pulled over for that reason you are going to be weighed meaning you are going to get your total gross weight, not your payload weight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread