5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

remove spare tire to increase payload

jthorn75

Reaction score
will removing my spare tire increase my payload? i have 35s now and wonder if the spare is worth it.

Last edited:

Polo08816

Reaction score
Yes, if it weighs 75lbs, you just gained 75lbs of payload limit

Yes, however, where the item is in relation to the axles (specifically the rear axle) will determine how much more tongue weight the axle (springs and tires) can handle.

However, I wouldn't remove a spare tire just to gain more payload. If you're cutting it that close, you need a bigger truck.

jthorn75

Reaction score
i lifted the truck and have 35s on it now... spare probably wouldnt work for me anyways, so i thought maybe i should just remove it and added payload is just a bonus.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
will removing my spare tire increase my payload?
Saving that little weight is not much gain when you look at the % numbers. You need to loose more than the weight of a tire to even notice any gain in capacity, but hey, if you don't need the tire, sell it.

Last edited:

jthorn75

Reaction score
Saving that little weight is not much gain when you look at the % numbers. You need to loose more than the weight of a tire to even notice any gain in capacity, but hey, if you don't need the tire, sell it.
it pretty much will take care of most of the extra weight the bigger tires added

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it pretty much will take care of most of the extra weight the bigger tires added
Tires on the road are rolling unsprung weight. I guess it counts if you are going up a really really steep hill. The weight of the spare is in the pickup loading figure. If you are worried about the spare weight you are already overloaded. 75 lbs is a little over .6% of your truck weight

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tires on the road are rolling unsprung weight. I guess it counts if you are going up a really really steep hill. The weight of the spare is in the pickup loading figure. If you are worried about the spare weight you are already overloaded.

The calculation includes the curb weight of the vehicle

In theory, these trucks can handle more than what the sticker says

Polo08816

Reaction score
The calculation includes the curb weight of the vehicle

In theory, these trucks can handle more than what the sticker says

In theory, in/under the best conditions. However, up a steep consistent grade for 30+ minutes on a mountain pass with substantial cross-winds both your truck and you may not last that long.

highgear2005

Reaction score
No! Your payload is set at the factory, if you get pulled over, the cop will get your payload either from your sticker or your owner card. He’s not going to wanna hear that you gained payload by dropping your spare. Now if you add aftermarket parts it will decrease your payload. If there’s a issue the cop will call for back up and another cop will will show with weight mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highgear2005

Reaction score
Coworker has a Chevy, half ton his owners card list the truck less then 7000 lbs. which here in Pennsylvania is a class 2 but he had the dealership register his truck at class 3 which doubles the cost his yearly plates, he thinks he’s driving a class 3 truck (3/4 ton) But he’s not. Any cop is going to use the weight from the factory.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Coworker has a Chevy, half ton his owners card list the truck less then 7000 lbs. which here in Pennsylvania is a class 2 but he had the dealership register his truck at class 3 which doubles the cost his yearly plates, he thinks he’s driving a class 3 truck (3/4 ton) But he’s not. Any cop is going to use the weight from the factory.

The 5th Gen 1500 has a GVWR of 7100lbs. Class 3 is over 7000lbs in PA...so if you do not have your truck registered as a class 3...you will be getting a fine if your truck appears loaded.

So many have them as Class 2...which would be ok if 2wd (6900 GVWR).

I see the law looking at Joe Contractor more and more.

And if you tow often...you really are supposed to register the truck for the Gross Combined Weight...which for a Hemi with 3.92 gears...that is 17000.

And back to the thread topic. The weight you are gonna save with removing the stock spare tire...is not worth it at all. You need to remove the stock spare and replace it with the same or equivalent size. You need a spare tire. And if you have the Anti spin rear...or get the flat while needing 4wd...all the tires need to match...or you got bigger problems.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Your right! My truck is 7100lbs but the dealership registered it as a class 2. Had they gone with class 3 my plates would have been almost $190 a year. For what? 99lbs, it wasn’t worth it for my needs.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
If the spare ISN'T GOING TO WORK due to upgraded tire size - then keeping it onboard serves no real purpose.

As others have said - if 70lbs of spare is going to make/break your payload limits - than a bigger truck just might be in order.

But again - if it isn't going to serve a purpose - lose it anyways.

Rick

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
The 5th Gen 1500 has a GVWR of 7100lbs. Class 3 is over 7000lbs in PA...so if you do not have your truck registered as a class 3...you will be getting a fine if your truck appears loaded.
Or more if you have an eco (#7200)! :D

If the spare ISN'T GOING TO WORK due to upgraded tire size - then keeping it onboard serves no real purpose.

Depending on your use case, it might be helpful simply for recovery purposes. Totally agree with attempting to actually 'drive' it, but it might make the difference in getting you back to a spot where a recovery vehicle can help ya out.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Guess I’m killing my payload, when I add 300 lbs of sand bags during the winter. I want a weight in the rear end.

Users who are viewing this thread