5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Start

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi there,
Anybody else have remote start issues in the cold? The last few morning have been pretty cold (-8°C) and when I go to remote start my truck it doesn't start. The fuel pump primes and it sounds like it going to but then it doesn't do anything.

From research it seems my battery may be a bit weak. I have noticed it doesn't crank as fast as I would like.

It starts normal with the key, and after driving it a while it remote starts with no problem. I looked at the dash and there's no messages at all. Fuel levels are fine and all doors and tailgate closed.

Just wondering if anybody has had this come up before I take it to the dealer.

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
there is bunch of exclusions , have to find . Battery low , check engine light , something else .

Krootz

Reaction score
You have a diesel though. Diesels are known to throw fits in the cold when starting because they have to warm up the glow plugs.
At -8C (17F) It would probably take longer to warm up the glow plugs than what the standard remote start time allows. Might be something to consider.

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score
Are you always remote starting your RAM? If so, I suggest remote starting once, then the next time you drive, starting normally. Just my $0.02

REMOTE STARTING SYSTEM
The remote starting system will allow the vehicle to be started from distances of up to approximately 100 m (328 ft.) away from the vehicle. It operates using the remote keyless entry key fob which is part of your ignition key.

In order to remote start your vehicle, the hood and all the doors must be closed.

To remote start your vehicle, press the REMOTE START button on the key fob twice within three seconds. To indicate that the vehicle is about to start, the parking lights will flash and the horn will sound briefly.

Once the vehicle has started, the engine will run for 15 minutes. To cancel remote start, press the REMOTE START button once.

The parking lamps will remain illuminated to indicate that the vehicle has remote started and the engine is running. The lamps will turn off when the ignition is turned to RUN or the remote start is cancelled.

To enter the vehicle while the engine is running during a remote start, you must first unlock the vehicle using the UNLOCK button on the key fob. After the vehicle is unlocked, you have 60 seconds to enter the vehicle, insert the key in the Ignition and move it to the RUN position, otherwise the engine will cancel remote start and automatically turn off.

Remote start will cancel if any of the following occur:

• If the engine stalls or RPM exceeds 2500
  • Any engine warning lamps come on
  • The hood is opened
  • The hazard switch is pressed
  • The transmission is moved out of park
  • Low fuel indicator is on. Low fuel levels
  • The brake pedal is pressed before the vehicle door has been unlocked. If you remote start the vehicle while inside the vehicle and press the brake pedal, the vehicle remote start will cancel
The vehicle can be started remotely up to a maximum of two times. The vehicle is also allowed a maximum of one failed start. This is where the remote start sequence was initiated but the engine stopped cranking without starting. After either of these conditions, or if the Vehicle Theft Alarm is alarming, or if the PANIC button was pressed, the vehicle must be reset by inserting a valid key into the ignition and moving it to the RUN position, then back to LOCK.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have remote started my truck as cold as -30c without issue. But the last few days my truck has refused to remote start. Fuel and def levels are good, no cel light. All I get is one flash of the trucks lights and one horn honk instead of two.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have a diesel though. Diesels are known to throw fits in the cold when starting because they have to warm up the glow plugs.
At -8C (17F) It would probably take longer to warm up the glow plugs than what the standard remote start time allows. Might be something to consider.
It shouldn't matter. Modern diesels aren't like old diesels, it starts with only a second or two of pressing the button. I tried it again this morning and it started fine although it wasn't as cold. I need a very cold morning again. I'm thinking the battery may be weak.

Krootz

Reaction score
Well damn. One honk? Yeah that sounds like something the dealer should look at

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah like if mine sits SAT and SUN and then I try on MON -- no go (I just figured it was the DT TAZER).
or if it is below 25*F outside and it won't start .. :(
I keep forgetting to take it to work and read the LAST REASON FAILED Code.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Mine has been doing the same thing, annoying. If there is a fix hope to hear it.

Netmaster

Reaction score
Remote start will not work for a few reasons like then check engine light is on or fuel is low. I'm sure there are other things that will make it do this, maybe it's reading DEF fluid is too cold?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I may have found the issue. When driving today I happened to be scrolling through the menu and noticed my voltage was fluctuating all over the place. Dropping as low as 12 and as high at 14.8V. It continued for my entire drive. When I stopped the voltage went into the red and I got a low battery message. I have an appointment on Monday at 8am.

Attachments

• 20201211_150445.jpg
    20201211_150445.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 31

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it’s back below freezing today, and not much of a surprise but my remote start won’t work again.

Attachments

• 96D65922-2855-499A-A4DE-55229D91C5FA.jpeg
    96D65922-2855-499A-A4DE-55229D91C5FA.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 24

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Did you happen to have the ground bolt recall fixed? Also, check all the fuses under the hood make sure they are all pressed down and not loose. I found 4 of mine barely connected.

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my truck was two weeks old I had to have to boosted by roadside assistance and then the next day it had to be towed to the dealer due to a dead battery. The cause was two loose ground cables, one of which was on the engine block itself. That was fixed and it has been good ever since even at -30 the remote start worked fine.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll report back tomorrow morning what the dealer says. I could look into it myself but id rather have them do it and be documented

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll report back tomorrow morning what the dealer says. I could look into it myself but id rather have them do it and be documented

Ya, I am waiting for my dealer to call me back. Apparently they don’t fix leaks and have a third party company come in to fix them. I’ve also got them doing the rear brake anti moan kit and the cover on the drivers side door lock has paint falling off it so they want to do it all at once. I haven’t told them about the remote start issue yet.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer just called. Battery is not holding a charge. They are replacing under warranty

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It good they are replacing it, but not good that it went bad this early on.

I am expecting that I have the same issue as we are both having the same problem, it I haven’t gotten into the dealer yet.

hunter1234

Reaction score
Likely not the case but I did find out that you can only remote start once and then you have to start the normal way before you can remote restart again. This was on my 2016, have not tried it to see if it still acts that way on my 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread