5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start... what's required to add on?

Moosefire66

Reaction score
My 19 ram DT doesn't have remote start for some reason. Was looking to add it, but wasn't sure what all is involved.

Obviously I would need a new key fob that's programmed to the truck... but what else?

Is everything else installed on the ram that's needed? Reflash the pcm maybe to get it?

Can the tazer do this if I get the new fobs?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 19 ram DT doesn't have remote start for some reason. Was looking to add it, but wasn't sure what all is involved.

Obviously I would need a new key fob that's programmed to the truck... but what else?

Is everything else installed on the ram that's needed? Reflash the pcm maybe to get it?

I put the Start-X remote starter in a Jeep Rubicon that I sold to get the Ram. It took about a half hour to install, just plug and play. Few clicks of the remote, just like it was stock. Worked perfectly.

I'd have to think this one for thr Ram would be the same.

www.amazon.com/Start-X-Remote-Starter-2019-Start/dp/B07YG9GQ99/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=remote+starters+for+cars&pid=q2IKoDH&qid=1624262863&sr=1-2&vehicle=2021-1168-16227-2227-111-77-6-8-18229-4255--1---7&vehicleName=2021+Ram+1500

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

All you need is the fob, and to make sure the correct hood latch is installed. If you already have a hood latch that has a two way connector plugged into it, you would need to make sure that it is wired all the way to the BCM. The dealership has to program fobs, though. I’m not sure if tazer can enable remote start, so just have the dealer add XBM sales code when they program the fob. Might as well get the fob that also has remote tailgate release, since nothing else needs to be done for that feature to work once the fob is programmed.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
All you need is the fob, and to make sure the correct hood latch is installed. If you already have a hood latch that has a two way connector plugged into it, you would need to make sure that it is wired all the way to the BCM. The dealership has to program fobs, though. I’m not sure if tazer can enable remote start, so just have the dealer add XBM sales code when they program the fob. Might as well get the fob that also has remote tailgate release, since nothing else needs to be done for that feature to work once the fob is programmed.
Oh nice. So the release mechanism for the tailgate is already wired in and installed too???

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh nice. So the release mechanism for the tailgate is already wired in and installed too???

The electronic latches are wired up regardless, because that’s how the tailgate releases when you press the handle switch. The RF Hub is already capable of remote release, it’s just waiting for a signal from the fob button.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Nice! I'll have to check that out too. Good call!

Users who are viewing this thread