5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start battery voltage

dad2steph

Reaction score
Need some help from E-Torque owners. When you remote start your truck, what is your battery voltage at? When I remote start mine it is at 12.0 volts. Once I actually start the truck it clinbs to 14.3. Seems that the truck is running off the battery when it is remote started. Reason I ask is I wonder what kind of strain this puts on the battery over time. I have already had to have a battery replaced at 2500 miles and wonder if this has something to do with it. Of course the dealership told me this is normal. Thanks for your help.

Luxy72462

Reaction score
It’s a 12v system. How much voltage do you think a 12v battery will apply when cranking. The system charges at 14v once the vehicle is running. Actually it’ll probably be less than 12v when cranking due to the cranking load off the starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Need some help from E-Torque owners. When you remote start your truck, what is your battery voltage at? When I remote start mine it is at 12.0 volts. Once I actually start the truck it clinbs to 14.3. Seems that the truck is running off the battery when it is remote started. Reason I ask is I wonder what kind of strain this puts on the battery over time. I have already had to have a battery replaced at 2500 miles and wonder if this has something to do with it. Of course the dealership told me this is normal. Thanks for your help.

I haven't paid attention but this is definitely concerning. If it is really the case then these 12v batteries will be lucky to last a year. Especially in cold climates.

dad2steph

Reaction score
It’s a 12v system. How much voltage do you think a 12v battery will apply when cranking. The system charges at 14v once the vehicle is running. Actually it’ll probably be less than 12v when cranking due to the cranking load off the starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am saying that when the truck is running after remote start it is displaying 12V. Then after I push the start button on the dash it goes up to 14. It would seem that the truck should be charging any time the truck is running regardless of how it is started.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Just checked with a a multi meter. When remote started even though my dash says 12.0v the battery was at 14.2v. its just a display issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20190124_203551.jpg
    IMG_20190124_203551.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread