5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relocating shark fin antenna

canative

Reaction score
Is it possible to relocate the shark fin antenna? Maybe to the front dash? I have an overhead topper that goes over the top and it partially blocks the signal. Cuts in and out too much.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't see why not. You will need to rip apart your headliner and make a new hole for it, assuming the cables reach.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
also you will have to waterproof plug the holes on the roof of your truck, but are you sure it will get better reception on the dash ?

canative

Reaction score
also you will have to waterproof plug the holes on the roof of your truck, but are you sure it will get better reception on the dash ?
Not sure, but it won't be blocked like it is now. I was planning on leaving the one on the back, I don't want to mess with a big hole in my roof. I was going to just buy a new one and relocate, remove the wires from the old one and route to the dash.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder if you can get the antennas out without demounting it. It's a pretty small hole through the roof. From what I see once you unmount the fun you will need something to stick it back on even if you aren't using it.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

canative

Reaction score
No need. Just buy these and throw this on your dash...use double sided tape or velcro to secure it in place.

It will plug into the siruis tuner, once you unplug the sharkfin from it. I had a sharkfin fail in another vehicle and this was a good, cheap fix for it.

Dumb question, how do I plug this Sirius tuner into my radio? Also, will doing this affect the AM/FM and the NAV?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dumb question, how do I plug this Sirius tuner into my radio? Also, will doing this affect the AM/FM and the NAV?
I'm not sure where the Sirius unit is on the Ram, on the Chevy Equinox it's right behind the glove box. Unplug the similar looking plug, plug this in and you're good to go.

Zero issues with anything else, its the exact same as if you were replacing the sharkfin antenna (well, you are, just with ab different one).

canative

Reaction score
Anyone know where the Sirius tuner is on our Rams?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Does the sharkfin have anything to do with the navigation or is it only the Sirius radio?? Because if it doesn’t affect nav or anything other than the radio I want to remove mine completely to gain some height clearance for my garage and parking garages because the shark fin is just over 7’ tall now on my truck!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know where the Sirius tuner is on our Rams?
It’s built into the radio.
Does the sharkfin have anything to do with the navigation or is it only the Sirius radio?? Because if it doesn’t affect nav or anything other than the radio I want to remove mine completely to gain some height clearance for my garage and parking garages because the shark fin is just over 7’ tall now on my truck!
Sirius and gps is the the same antenna cable that comes from the shark fin (yellow port on back of radio). The shark fin also handles the am/fm radio, and cellular.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the sharkfin receives GPS signals, among other things. I've seen substitutes elsewhere on the forum that could mount to dash or window. Of course you'd have to fill the hole, sand, paint, etc.

gearhead321

Reaction score
I have seen some trucks with a low profile Chrysler 300 antenna being used instead of the shark fin style.

Users who are viewing this thread