5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Registering An Out-Of-State Vehicle (CA Edition)

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
what?

you called us Commiefornia yet we voted for most of these laws

so I ask you do you not believe in the peoples right to choose?
Lived here all my life, more than 50 years. Sure, everyone has a right to choose politicians that are bad for the state. But I am not part of your "we." Not sure what that has to do with out of state registrations, however.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
because when the majority vote, the regulations implemented are what the majority wanted.

you must be young and not understand how it works.
And how is that working out, "majority?" How do our roads look? How does the hwy infrastructure look? Ever leave this paradise and see how other states hwy systems look? Not sure what I said that pissed you off other than calling this lovely state, "Commiefornia." What I can say is that the reason all of us pay so much in taxes, fees, etc, is likely due to people such as yourself voting in the imbeciles. If you are old enough, and have lived here long enough, any fool can see how great this state once was. There is a reason why more are leaving than coming; why large business is bailing out. It's unfortunate so many have blinders on.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
And how is that working out, "majority?" How do our roads look? How does the hwy infrastructure look? Ever leave this paradise and see how other states hwy systems look? Not sure what I said that pissed you off other than calling this lovely state, "Commiefornia." What I can say is that the reason all of us pay so much in taxes, fees, etc, is likely due to people such as yourself voting in the imbeciles. If you are old enough, and have lived here long enough, any fool can see how great this state once was. There is a reason why more are leaving than coming; why large business is bailing out. It's unfortunate so many have blinders on.
i toured the us in 2019 see 22 states and the road are in worse shape then calif.

for your information there are more people here then the census says

you are buying in to the rights crap.

don't like it you can leave which would be better then calling us communist

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
i toured the us in 2019 see 22 states and the road are in worse shape then calif.

for your information there are more people here then the census says

you are buying in to the rights crap.

don't like it you can leave which would be better then calling us communist
Just call it like I see it. We just "see" it in differently.

Have a better one

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've lived in many other states, moved around with the military and around the World, I choose to live in San Diego, CA because it's awesome.

The state has it's issues, but it has a lot of positives. The big negatives people mention are pretty overblown, I see no more homeless here than when I lived in Texas. Smog checks are not a big deal, your new truck won't need an smog test for 8 years, even then it's a 5 minute OBD2 plug-in test, no dyno. The annual safety inspections from other states are way worse, especially with those stupid windshield stickers . I can own most any gun I want except a full auto. Gas prices are bad, but not that much worse than most states on the west side of the country.

The big issue here is home affordability, I lived in states where you can actually buy a decent family home for less than $300,000. That in California will buy a condo in a bad neighborhood. I need to pay at least 2-3 times more for a house in San Diego to match the one I had in Texas.

Then you have to look at the economics of it all, even in this last 2 years of Covid, California is in the black financially, they actually have a surplus, their GDP is higher than both Texas (#2) and Florida (#3) combined! What surprised me was the agricultural economy here, it only makes up 2% of the state's GDP, but still higher than any other state.

Question is, is this in spite of the government here or because of it? That I'm not sure about.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went through all of this in July of 2020 and my truck was from Washington. I too had the worry of having no Temp registration, so I went to my local AAA office and they gave me month long temp tag for my truck. So that is an option if you are a member of AAA.

The dealer did not estimate the fees correctly so I had to pony up an additional $853.00.....

Overall it was not the hardest thing to get done, more a learning curve and now I know what to expect.

JC4041

Reaction score
I've lived in many other states, moved around with the military and around the World, I choose to live in San Diego, CA because it's awesome.

The state has it's issues, but it has a lot of positives. The big negatives people mention are pretty overblown, I see no more homeless here than when I lived in Texas. Smog checks are not a big deal, your new truck won't need an smog test for 8 years, even then it's a 5 minute OBD2 plug-in test, no dyno. The annual safety inspections from other states are way worse, especially with those stupid windshield stickers . I can own most any gun I want except a full auto. Gas prices are bad, but not that much worse than most states on the west side of the country.

The big issue here is home affordability, I lived in states where you can actually buy a decent family home for less than $300,000. That in California will buy a condo in a bad neighborhood. I need to pay at least 2-3 times more for a house in San Diego to match the one I had in Texas.

Then you have to look at the economics of it all, even in this last 2 years of Covid, California is in the black financially, they actually have a surplus, their GDP is higher than both Texas (#2) and Florida (#3) combined! What surprised me was the agricultural economy here, it only makes up 2% of the state's GDP, but still higher than any other state.

Question is, is this in spite of the government here or because of it? That I'm not sure about.

Perks of being military and moving around a lot, you get to see a lot of stuff.....at least the gas is cheaper on base, filled the 2500 up @4.07 a gallon Friday, can't say much for the prices in Lancaster/Palmdale though...F that.

Cali has a "surplus" because they don't spend the money on what it needs to be spent on. How are the roads in SD? Because they suck in LA county and Kern county. What's your take on the current gas tax that will increase each year (and not be spent where it needs). They redid the main road here in Rosamond and it's worse than it was before they "fixed" it. Even here houses have gone up a LOT, the new houses behind us were 400k+ for a 3br 2 ba. Our property tax has doubled of what it was in 2018 (up to like $5200 now for a spot just big enough for a house and small yard).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread