5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Registering An Out-Of-State Vehicle (CA Edition)

roca916

Reaction score
I recently finished registering my Washington purchased (Bud Clary) 21' Ram truck with the California DMV and figured I'll make a quick post to outline my experience. Please note that I had financed the vehicle, so your experience will vary if paid outright.

Documents Required:
  • DMV 343 (dealer should have you complete this at pickup)
  • Check for CA Sales Tax and Fees (provided by dealer)
  • Weight Certificate (See Here for available Public Scales Available). Cost me about $25.00
  • Smog Certificate. Cost me about $45.00
Timeline:
7/05/21 - Picked up truck from dealer and was issued a 3-day Washington travel permit.​
7/07/21 - Entered California​
Between these dates I got both the weight and smog certification done.
7/15/21 - Dealer notified me that my loan was finance. FCA (Bank) to send required documents to dealer.​
7/23/21 - Dealer overnighted (FedEx) my buyer's package to the DMV I specified. Package included the DMV 343 and check for California sales tax and fees.​
7/26/21 - DMV received the package around 1pm. I went to the DMV, making sure to bring with me the weight and smog certificates. Be prepared to pay additional fees if the Dealer didn't calculate correctly. Mine was off by $39, so I paid the difference no biggie. The DMV will also have to complete a vehicle verification form. You'll be asked to take your truck to a designated location for their inspection (15 mins). My local branch doesn't do inspections after 4:30pm, so time your visit accordingly. Once completed, the DMV issued me my plates (standard) and registration stickers same day.​
Things To Note:

As you can see from the timeline above, it took about 3 weeks to complete my registration. In the meantime, I had no proof of registration other than my buyer's contract. The dealer suggested I ask my local DMV for guidance while I wait for the paperwork to be processed. The DMV couldn't provide me a temp tag since I had no proof that fees have been/were going to be paid, so I was on my own. I kept a copy of my purchase contract with me at all times. I don't know what would have happened if I got pulled over, but luckily I didn't have to find out.

Typically, you won't be notified by the dealer when the final package is sent to your DMV. You would usually wait for a letter from the DMV, stating that your form and check has been received and to visit the office to complete registration. I wanted to complete my registration ASAP, so I asked my finance guy (John) for a FedEx tracking #. That way I was able to go in the same day it was received and get it done.

While going through this process, I found out that California identifies pick-up trucks (without a permanent bed shell) as a commercial vehicle. This is why the weight certificate is required.

Overall the process was simple and required very little work. Of course it would have been easier to buy a vehicle within California, but sometimes you have to go where the deals are.

Nsm42

Reaction score
I also did this last year, from Arizona. The only thing I’ve yet to do is submit the title from the Arizona dmv to the CA dmv which I’m a bit confused on how to do since I’ve never had any contact with Arizona dmv.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While going through this process, I found out that California identifies pick-up trucks (without a permanent bed shell) as a commercial vehicle. This is why the weight certificate is required.
Every time I read something about California's DMV bureaucratic hell I learn a new asinine requirement of theirs.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Every time I read something about California's DMV bureaucratic hell I learn a new asinine requirement of theirs.
The tradeoff is that you can park in a yellow zone and leave the vehicle briefly. Can't do that with a passenger car plate. The other thing about commercial plates: a window van is a passenger car, and cheaper to register. A panel van is a truck. Which is why you often see window vans with the windows blocked off being used by a business.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Gotta love Commiefornia. Better look into the passenger vs commercial registration. Takes more than a simple shell.

Screenshot_20210727-195526.png

70runner

Reaction score
Yea, it's now virtually impossible to schedule an appt...well, at least it seems to be for me. They route you to a "service advisor" automated system that just reroutes you back to their automated processes. If you select "register out of state vehicle" automated system give you list of docs and such but there is no option to schedule appt.

roca916

Reaction score
Yea, it's now virtually impossible to schedule an appt...well, at least it seems to be for me. They route you to a "service advisor" automated system that just reroutes you back to their automated processes. If you select "register out of state vehicle" automated system give you list of docs and such but there is no option to schedule appt.
Same experience for me. I wasn't able to schedule an appointment. I kept an eye on the live wait time for my specific dmv office and went in when it was slow (~3pm) It worked out for me, only having to wait about 15 minutes.

Papabear_08

Reaction score
I also did this last year, from Arizona. The only thing I’ve yet to do is submit the title from the Arizona dmv to the CA dmv which I’m a bit confused on how to do since I’ve never had any contact with Arizona dmv.
I got my truck in AZ too. I assume your truck is financed? If so, call your lender and let them know you want to transfer title from AZ to CA. Your lender will then request the title from the AZ DMV and then mail it to your local DMV office. The DMV will then notify you by mail once it's received. I got lucky and was given a FEDEX tracking number so I knew the minute it was delivered.

Once its there, make sure to fill out REG 343 and bring the following as stated above:
- Weight certificate
- Smog certificate
- Dealer contract ( I paid taxes through the dealer but was short about $1K so be prepared)

They will then do the VIN verification at the DMV. If they don't offer it, I believe CHP does it but don't quote me on that. Once complete, they give you the plates right then and there. Best of luck!

Nsm42

Reaction score
I got my truck in AZ too. I assume your truck is financed? If so, call your lender and let them know you want to transfer title from AZ to CA. Your lender will then request the title from the AZ DMV and then mail it to your local DMV office. The DMV will then notify you by mail once it's received. I got lucky and was given a FEDEX tracking number so I knew the minute it was delivered.

Once its there, make sure to fill out REG 343 and bring the following as stated above:
- Weight certificate
- Smog certificate
- Dealer contract ( I paid taxes through the dealer but was short about $1K so be prepared)

They will then do the VIN verification at the DMV. If they don't offer it, I believe CHP does it but don't quote me on that. Once complete, they give you the plates right then and there. Best of luck!
Got my truck in July 2020, I’ve got plates and all right away but CA DMV doesn’t have my title on file which is fine since it’s not required until the truck is paid off in a few years. Thank you though for the insight!

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Just finished my registration and it couldn't have been easier. Done in under a week.
  • Thurs - Dealer overnights paperwork and check to AutoTagz (CA DMV authorized vendor)
  • Sat - Get weight and smog certificates
  • Mon - Visit AutoTagz in Sherman Oaks. They filed all DMV paperwork and charged the extra few dollars of CA tax owing.Left there with registration, license plates and tags.
That's all there was to it!

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's for sure some bull here.
Passenger Vehicle Registration—A pickup truck with a permanently attached camper or camper shell (the owner’s intention is not to remove it) meets the definition of a housecar (CVC §362) and may be registered as a passenger vehicle. Assign a body type model (BTM) “PM” (pickup with camper mounted) to the vehicle.

So, now I wonder how many Autos have this.
"Human habitation is defined as living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms".

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Not sure what I'm missing here? All trucks in California are registered as "Commercial" vehicles, however it's just a label here, it doesn't effect how you use it or anything else like it does in other states.

So having a camper or not doesn't mean anything either. I have 3 trucks one has a camper and I don't have any issues with the DMV. Is it just for out of state vehicles that makes it a hassle?

Richard320

Reaction score
Not sure what I'm missing here? All trucks in California are registered as "Commercial" vehicles, however it's just a label here, it doesn't effect how you use it or anything else like it does in other states.

So having a camper or not doesn't mean anything either. I have 3 trucks one has a camper and I don't have any issues with the DMV. Is it just for out of state vehicles that makes it a hassle?
That's not quite true. You can leave the pickup in a yellow loading zone for brief periods because it has commercial plates. Passenger car drivers must remain with the vehicle. I'd happily trade that benefit for the added cost.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
That's not quite true. You can leave the pickup in a yellow loading zone for brief periods because it has commercial plates. Passenger car drivers must remain with the vehicle. I'd happily trade that benefit for the added cost.

How can you tell if it has commercial plates? Commercial and standard plates look the same in California.

Richard320

Reaction score
How can you tell if it has commercial plates? Commercial and standard plates look the same in California.
By the sequence of letters and numbers.

When I was a little kid, a truck plate might be 67 629 Y and a car would be SKB 214
Then they ran out so they reversed things My Willys was Z 26 214 and my Mom's car was 205 BJN.
When those ran out they reversed them again and put a number in front. 2RSH238.

The trucks reverted to the old way as well, reversing numbers and letters and adding another number at the end. So you might see 10192R1

SD Rebel

Reaction score
By the sequence of letters and numbers.

When I was a little kid, a truck plate might be 67 629 Y and a car would be SKB 214
Then they ran out so they reversed things My Willys was Z 26 214 and my Mom's car was 205 BJN.
When those ran out they reversed them again and put a number in front. 2RSH238.

The trucks reverted to the old way as well, reversing numbers and letters and adding another number at the end. So you might see 10192R1

Oh gotcha, that's interesting. I came from a state that had a cosmetic difference between Commercial vs Standard, that's a very subtle way to do it.

Though my truck has personalized plates, my numbers are first and letters at the end. Example is GRS 787, though my truck is classified as commercial. But I guess paying $40 a year for custom plates allows for that?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh gotcha, that's interesting. I came from a state that had a cosmetic difference between Commercial vs Standard, that's a very subtle way to do it.

Though my truck has personalized plates, my numbers are first and letters at the end. Example is GRS 787, though my truck is classified as commercial. But I guess paying $40 a year for custom plates allows for that?
NYs commercial plates are like that too. Commercial would be something like 20477 SB and regular plates would be more like a CDX 8689, although they also say either "passenger" or "commercial" right on the plates as well.

I'm always interested in learning little things like this.

Users who are viewing this thread