5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen Cycles

Gargaryon

Reaction score
Hey Friends.... Once again, how can you actually tell your in a Regen while driving?

Daverous

Reaction score
Without a monitor setup it's a bit tricky. You can tell by the engine sound, mpg drop, and if you're backing up a minor annoying brake feature.
Because it's near impossible I've been very happy with my cts3 hooked up. Without it I would probably stop the regen cycle 50% of the time without knowing.
I will say the factory regen setup is pretty good about getting it in when it can. As long as you're under warranty keep trucking and let it do its thing. I've yet to have any issues cutting it off mid cycle as long as I put miles on it at some point during the month.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
Like Daverous said, you can sometimes notice that it is in active regen with a drop in MPG and a slightly different exhaust/engine tone. My truck usually hits passive regen once above 60mph when cruising along flat roads.

I monitor my truck using an OBD II bluetooth dongle and the Torque app on my phone. My setup has a couple of indicator lights which light up if in active regen. I also have it set up to show DPF load %, so I know if I am getting close to an active regen trigger. Plus it's fun to have a boost gauge and be able to monitor exhaust temps.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '20 truck regens average about every 525 miles here in New England which is significantly higher than my '15 which was 125-175 miles.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use my OBDLink MX+ to monitor my Ecodiesel and tonight saw my first regen at 688 miles. Unfortunately I need to work on the DPF Regen Status gauge in the top left of the pics below as it never indicated 1 (1=Regen On/0=Regen Off). However, I was able to determine I was in regen when the bottom right gauge shot up to 1000+ degrees and the Soot Mass (middle left gauge) shot to 79 and then started counting down to 8. I was doing 75 mph the entire time and once Soot Mass got to 8, then the bottom right gauge started dropping to normal temps of 550 degrees.

As stated, I have a little more work to do on the Regen Status gauge programming but the MX+ seems to work well overall.

On my previous 2nd Gen Ecodiesels and my Cummins, I utilized an Edge CTS3 or ScanGauge II but I have to admit this little $99 MX+ appears to do the job well on my iPhone.

Attachments

• 4CB68FD0-9F35-40CC-BD20-BCC6692B85A0.png
    4CB68FD0-9F35-40CC-BD20-BCC6692B85A0.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 6EE7E1FC-EE3D-4157-AF5E-6D610C0DDD74.png
    6EE7E1FC-EE3D-4157-AF5E-6D610C0DDD74.png
    306.1 KB · Views: 28

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you interupt a Regen and park the car you'll definitely know. You can hear the exhaust clicking like crazy and there's a bit of a smell.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/