5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen Cycles

GrizEagle

Reaction score
I have been closely monitoring my regen cycles over the last 5-6k miles and have noticed that my truck will automatically go into active regen mode every ~700 miles regardless of how loaded the DPF is. Most of my driving is interstate with <20% city driving so my DPF usually sits around 20-30%. The truck will go into active regen even if the percent is decreasing appropriately with passive regen. I even had it do it once while on a 1000 mile road trip where the percentage was only reading at 18%. I monitor using Torque app and the PIDs seem to be functioning appropriately, so I don't think that it is a mis-read. Does anyone else experience this?

gorilla57

Reaction score
It's built into the programming. Not sure why, but maybe just to make sure the system is functioning properly.....

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without using a reader/device plugged in, are there any tell-tales on the dash to let you know the regen is under way? And, how can you tell the DPF load?

I've got a VW TDi, and it always seems to start a regen as I pull into my driveway at the END of a long drive. The only way you can tell after you park is the fan noise as the cooling fans kick into high to keep the airflow over the engine and downpipe.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without using a reader/device plugged in, are there any tell-tales on the dash to let you know the regen is under way? And, how can you tell the DPF load?

I've got a VW TDi, and it always seems to start a regen as I pull into my driveway at the END of a long drive. The only way you can tell after you park is the fan noise as the cooling fans kick into high to keep the airflow over the engine and downpipe.
There is no indication of an active regen from factory. If interrupted mid regen you can smell the heat and hear the super hot exhaust cooling off, my drive to/from work is about the perfect distance for a regen to start mid drive and i don’t think it quite finishes from time to time before I park. I take the long way home every once and a while to allow it to complete.

Reactions: c3k

gorilla57

Reaction score

Watch your current MPG. If you pay attention, you'll notice a significant drop when cruising at a steady speed. I don't catch all of my regens, but I do catch it every once in a while.

Reactions: c3k

GrizEagle

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I monitor EGTs though the Torque app. I can't imagine it is great for the system to shut it down without properly cooling 1100 deg DPF and other exhaust components. I wish the truck's display would show more info. Hopefully with the GDE tune...

troverman

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I monitor EGTs though the Torque app. I can't imagine it is great for the system to shut it down without properly cooling 1100 deg DPF and other exhaust components. I wish the truck's display would show more info. Hopefully with the GDE tune...

It doesn't harm anything to shut down mid-cycle. It's not ideal simply because another active regen will have to occur at the next available opportunity, and more fuel will be used to get it up to the heat level where it already was when the vehicle was turned off.

The moment the truck is put into Park, fuel stops being injected at the beginning of the exhaust stroke. If you can let the truck idle for 2-3 minutes, even though the active regen will terminate, there is still enough heat in the system to continue to burn off soot in the DPF for a few minutes. I have monitored this situation on other trucks, and the DPF load will in fact keep dropping.

gorilla57

Reaction score
It doesn't harm anything to shut down mid-cycle. It's not ideal simply because another active regen will have to occur at the next available opportunity, and more fuel will be used to get it up to the heat level where it already was when the vehicle was turned off.

The moment the truck is put into Park, fuel stops being injected at the beginning of the exhaust stroke. If you can let the truck idle for 2-3 minutes, even though the active regen will terminate, there is still enough heat in the system to continue to burn off soot in the DPF for a few minutes. I have monitored this situation on other trucks, and the DPF load will in fact keep dropping.
Exactly. The majority of diesel owners out there have NO clue what a regen is and will shut it down. So, engineers have to build the diesel for the least educated driver out there. That means the system has to take care of itself without any driver intervention. If the system can't regen enough........THEN the dash will tell you to continue driving.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a keen ear and attention to detail, you can tell when it goes into regen by the variance in the engine sound. It will sound slightly more labored, like a very slight low key vibration or rumbling engine note.

They did a really good job on the emissions system on the Gen 3. I monitor with a Scan Gauge II and I *rarely* ever see regen status switch to "ON".

troverman

Reaction score
On the HD pickups with a boost gauge, during a regen you will also notice the boost gauge becomes much more active. I wish these Ecodiesel trucks had a boost gauge. I’m surprised with the 7” cluster there is no way to turn it on.

Daverous

Reaction score
Another random way involves the automatic rear brake feature. If you have it and try to back into a parking spot during a regen prepare to be annoyed. I even scheduled a dealer visit the first week I had my truck because I thought something was wrong. It's just the exhaust heat messing with the sensors by the tailpipe tips.

Should have heard me cussing trying to back down my driveway when the brakes slammed on.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Another random way involves the automatic rear brake feature. If you have it and try to back into a parking spot during a regen prepare to be annoyed. I even scheduled a dealer visit the first week I had my truck because I thought something was wrong. It's just the exhaust heat messing with the sensors by the tailpipe tips.

Should have heard me cussing trying to back down my driveway when the brakes slammed on.
It may be programmed that way so you don't set something on fire by parking too close.

troverman

Reaction score
A quick flip of the rear sensors to “off” should cure the problem.
That’s surprising though, because the sensors are sonar...I wouldn’t think heat would cause any problems in that regard.

Daverous

Reaction score
That's what I do these days in regards to the rear sensors. At the time it was new, I had no cts to monitor egts, and there was nothing in the way. Made me jump when those brakes slammed on.

troverman

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had the brakes slam on (because I was close to something) and if you've never experienced it, you will get pretty jarred. I guess its a good feature.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I turned that crap off the first time it slammed on the brakes because I was backing off pavement onto gravel, very annoying feature. I prefer to be in control at all times.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I turned that crap off the first time it slammed on the brakes because I was backing off pavement onto gravel, very annoying feature. I prefer to be in control at all times.

Same thing. Backing out of garage into driveway and then onto a gravel road. It scared the PI$$ out of me twice and there was never a chance for a third. Disabled and staying that way!

troverman

Reaction score
Are the sensors alone responsible for the emergency stop function, or is it in conjunction with the rear camera? I don't understand how the road surface, paved to gravel for instance, could cause this problem based upon the sensors alone.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Figured I'd post here instead of starting a new thread. I'm using the BlueDriver app and I've been at normalized trigger for a few hundred miles already. Regen happens on the freeway as long as I'm on the throttle and I've only seen passive regen. Occasionally the percentage will drop, but it always goes back up and stays at 100%. The truck's NMHC Catalyst and PM Filter monitors are still incomplete after 900+ miles. Is this normal? Thanks!

IMG_2123.jpg
IMG_2122.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread