5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED 3rd Brake Light 2019+

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone try this light out yet? I’ve been looking at 3rd brake light solutions for quite sometime and I believe this is a new release. I like the darkened finish on this and I think it would add a clean look to the truck. Curious if this would be problematic with the key fob like many of the other options have proven to be, and also wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experience with this. If not, I may pick one up in a few weeks to test out. Just figured I’d ask before dropping the coin on it.

Attachments

• 0E1C2856-248A-4BE9-B4B0-7EC2529F44E2.jpeg
    0E1C2856-248A-4BE9-B4B0-7EC2529F44E2.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 5ADDDD07-A67E-4CDB-804C-F1F980DEEB49.jpeg
    5ADDDD07-A67E-4CDB-804C-F1F980DEEB49.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I’m pretty sure it’s only for the “classic” since it says it’s for 2500-3500 also and they share the 3rd brake light

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately I’m pretty sure it’s only for the “classic” since it says it’s for 2500-3500 also and they share the 3rd brake light
I later found a post on FB with several people discussing this light. One of which claimed to have installed it and said it works, but still no pictures or actual evidence from him that it does. If he does end up providing photos, I’ll drop them in here… I also shot Recon an email asking for clarification, so I’ll see what they say. I didn’t realize the 2500/3500 compatibility at first but after seeing that I believe you might be right. Bummer.

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But for a little more you can get an Oem led unit and not worry about the hit or miss quality issues that come with recon parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re not wrong and that ultimately is what still has me on the fence. I like trying different products out in general but I’d hate to be disappointed given the cost of this. Our factory 3rd brake lights are prone to leaking as it is, so if the fitment on this isn’t spot on I’m concerned it might only be a contributor to bigger problems. I do really like the look of this light though.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But your also get a non functional camera going with the oem unit.

I wish someone or a company will hurry up and figure out how to get that to work with trucks equipped without that feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are threads posted here as to how to make it work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm I’m gonna have to revisit that thread cause last time I remember guys were still trying to figure it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not my photos, but the owner of this truck seems to be pleased with it from his initial impression. I’m still interested but also somewhat hesitant. For any others interested, a discount code was also shared in one of the Facebook groups, (getlit20). I might take a chance on it with the addition of the discount code. I have a set of OEM LED night edition tails on the way that I scored, and I think this would help complete the look.

Attachments

• F56226AE-41B5-45FD-8FB2-731936BC4CEE.jpeg
    F56226AE-41B5-45FD-8FB2-731936BC4CEE.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 367
  • 62F5C683-9A2E-46AA-83F4-7920C8BC02E8.jpeg
    62F5C683-9A2E-46AA-83F4-7920C8BC02E8.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oh that does look nice though! Wonder if he has any key fob issues,
The original post that I found of the owner that did not provide photos said that he had no issues with the fob. I think I’m going to go ahead and grab one lol. If it isn’t what I expect it to be or if it has issues I’ll just deal with the return process. The discount code makes it a bit more enticing.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
After all the money I've spent on the "guaranteed no key fob issues" bulbs from Diode Dynamics and LasFit, I could have paid for one of these...
It's tempting but I'm gonna wait and see if any key fob issues arise with the Recon unit before I dump more money into this.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the outcome of this light.
Will do. I ordered one yesterday and to my surprise, the tracking info says it is expected to be delivered tomorrow. I’ll drop some better photos and first impressions once installed. I’ll also update my experience if there is any interference with the key fob, but I have now read from two others that they have had no issue. Hoping that’s the case with me.

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
Will do. I ordered one yesterday and to my surprise, the tracking info says it is expected to be delivered tomorrow. I’ll drop some better photos and first impressions once installed. I’ll also update my experience if there is any interference with the key fob, but I have now read from two others that they have had no issue. Hoping that’s the case with me.
Let us know if it actually provides better lighting in the rear as well!

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
If this ends up being the case, I'll probably pick one up. I'm tired of the key fob issues but no way I'm going back to incandescent. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Users who are viewing this thread