5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon 5th Gen LED Hi & Low Beam Projector Headlights OLED DRL & Scanning Switchback LED Signals

ms2019

Reaction score

ms2019

Reaction score
$1,500 🤢🤢🤢. Gotta think you could go OEM for that. I do want LED’s on my Big Horn, look so much better.

The RetroShop OEM lights are $1,768.00 and the adapter is another $175. You have to run wires and use an external ballast / resistor.

Yes, there is a discount on the RetroShop site right now, but black Friday and the holiday shopping season are already getting started, so I'd hope for a discount from Recon as well.

I am considering the Recon simply for plug and play.

No mess. No fuss (hopefully) from the dealership.

I'd pay a little extra for the time saved (and hopefully hassle).

ProdigyDude

Reaction score
$1,500 . Gotta think you could go OEM for that. I do want LED’s on my Big Horn, look so much better.

You can go OEM lol. They don’t even show you how they look in the ON position, like how lazy can you be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ms2019

Reaction score
You can go OEM lol. They don’t even show you how they look in the ON position, like how lazy can you be.

I contacted them and they send me some pictures.

I believe they (the light assemblies) are just coming to the market.

Aren't the RetroShop kits OEM assemblies with custom harnesses?

I've seen the Morimoto kit, but don't like the 4-prong DRL thing.

I've seen the Alpharex options, but am not a fan of the diffuser they used for the DRL.

Are there any other options?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've seen the Alpharex options, but am not a fan of the diffuser they used for the DRL.

Post the pics if you can. $1500 is a bit much, but it's always good to see alternatives.

ProdigyDude

Reaction score

You can get the OEM lights from Mopar cheaper than retroshops kit. You’ll only have to buy the harness from him.

Morimoto has some

ms2019

Reaction score
You can get the OEM lights from Mopar cheaper than retroshops kit. You’ll only have to buy the harness from him.

Morimoto has some

OEM LED's from Mopar approach the $1000 price range, right?

Add the extra harness for $175.

And the time to install it all.

For me, paying a few more dollars for a completely plug and play setup (without external harnesses and resistors) is worth it.

The 4-prong DRL thing on the Morimoto is a deal killer for me.

If they swapped that for another projector (even a dummy one) I would consider it.

I will contact them (Recon) tomorrow and get permission to post their photo.

ms2019

Reaction score

Recon 5th Gen LED Hi & Low Beam Projector Headlights OLED DRL & Scanning Switchback LED Signals​

Pictures provided by Recon. Permission to post here granted by Recon.

Attachments

• 6421A34E-2B8A-4C60-A13D-785E7304326E.JPG
    6421A34E-2B8A-4C60-A13D-785E7304326E.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6612.jpg
    IMG_6612.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_6613.jpg
    IMG_6613.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 230

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The harness from retro shop make the OEM’s plug and play, that’s the point. The only thing you have to do is use the fuse tap into the fuse box for the halos to be on when the truck is on. It’s very simple, I just did it on my truck about 6 weeks ago. And I agree for that price I’d go OEM. I considered the XB’s and even ordered a set of Alpharex lights and sent them back.

right now the 5th gen LED’s are $1,400 at retro shop plus $150 for the plug and play kit. So $1,550 for OEM’s seems like a no brainer to me. But if someone wants to try the Recons go for it, it’s your truck

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OEM for that money. The Recons don't look much better than the halogens. Steer clear of Morimoto, aside from the looks they still have a few bugs, lots of bad reviews on them. The aftermarket is just getting going on the 5th gen you could always just wait and see what comes out next.

ms2019

Reaction score
OEM for that money. The Recons don't look much better than the halogens. Steer clear of Morimoto, aside from the looks they still have a few bugs, lots of bad reviews on them. The aftermarket is just getting going on the 5th gen you could always just wait and see what comes out next.

Thank you for the Morimoto tip.

I agree the 5th gen aftermarket is just getting warmed up.

ms2019

Reaction score
The harness from retro shop make the OEM’s plug and play, that’s the point. The only thing you have to do is use the fuse tap into the fuse box for the halos to be on when the truck is on. It’s very simple, I just did it on my truck about 6 weeks ago. And I agree for that price I’d go OEM. I considered the XB’s and even ordered a set of Alpharex lights and sent them back.

right now the 5th gen LED’s are $1,400 at retro shop plus $150 for the plug and play kit. So $1,550 for OEM’s seems like a no brainer to me. But if someone wants to try the Recons go for it, it’s your truck

Having to add wires (fuse tap) is something I'd like to avoid if possible.

That is the main plus for the Recon setup.

It looks like, pricing wise (with holiday specials), the RetroShop setup with harness and the Recon setup would be very close in price.

Do you (or anyone else) have output shots for the RetroShop / OEM assemblies? Cutoff shots?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having to add wires (fuse tap) is something I'd like to avoid if possible.

That is the main plus for the Recon setup.

It looks like, pricing wise (with holiday specials), the RetroShop setup with harness and the Recon setup would be very close in price.

Do you (or anyone else) have output shots for the RetroShop / OEM assemblies? Cutoff shots?
I don’t but I can get some tonight. And seriously don’t worry about running the wire for the halos. You don’t have to cut any wires or anything I can show you a pic of that too. Everything comes with the plug and play kit and the directions couldn’t be more simple. Taking the front end apart to swap the lights out is by far the hardest part of the mod.
I went back and forth about spending the money on this for probably 6 months. It made me sick spending the money but now that I did it was worth every penny. Looks aside the light output is so much better it’s laughable

Last edited:

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I’ve bought NUMEROUS Recon lighting stuff over the years for previous trucks and the quality of their stuff is top notch, it’s expensive stuff but it’s also high quality materials. Not sure about the Rams but I did just replace my bulbs in my Ford with PIAA LED bulbs and I was blown away with how well they worked. Much cheaper than a whole headlight assembly.... might be worth looking into. Just my 2 cents....

Scooter29

Reaction score
So does anyone have the recon led headlights installed? Also am I reading right that the recons don’t need a adapter harness? I’m about to buy some factory LED lights from infotainment but just looking if this recon option is better or not. Thanks

ms2019

Reaction score
I’ve bought NUMEROUS Recon lighting stuff over the years for previous trucks and the quality of their stuff is top notch, it’s expensive stuff but it’s also high quality materials. Not sure about the Rams but I did just replace my bulbs in my Ford with PIAA LED bulbs and I was blown away with how well they worked. Much cheaper than a whole headlight assembly.... might be worth looking into. Just my 2 cents....

Thank you for your input. Knowing that Recon does make quality stuff is important and on my list of things to ask & research.

I looked at Headlight Revolution videos and saw their LED bulb swap comparison video.

It was really well done and informative.

I am going to spend the extra money and get new housings because I want some cool DRL strips ans sequential turn lights.

Thanks again for your input.

ms2019

Reaction score
So does anyone have the recon led headlights installed? Also am I reading right that the recons don’t need a adapter harness? I’m about to buy some factory LED lights from infotainment but just looking if this recon option is better or not. Thanks

I believe I am going to take the plunge on them and try them out.

I expect to make my purchase before the end of November and will definitely provide details on my experience.

If I end up going another route, I will provide those details in a new thread so other users can benefit from my experience.

Thanks!

tbscoot

Reaction score
Just thought I'd chime in for anyone that looks into buying these down the road. I picked up a set on Tuesday from Recon during their Git Lit sale. I was hesitant to pull the trigger at $1500 but they were 50% off and figured I'm not going to beat that price any time soon. Install is simple and straightforward, just plug and play with no harness. Biggest pain is the trim piece under the light and getting the last latch to release. Infotainment has a great YouTube video on replacing the lights.

Attachments

• IMG-2533.jpg
    IMG-2533.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Reaction score
Just thought I'd chime in for anyone that looks into buying these down the road. I picked up a set on Tuesday from Recon during their Git Lit sale. I was hesitant to pull the trigger at $1500 but they were 50% off and figured I'm not going to beat that price any time soon. Install is simple and straightforward, just plug and play with no harness. Biggest pain is the trim piece under the light and getting the last latch to release. Infotainment has a great YouTube video on replacing the lights.
Hey. I also bought these on sale. One question. When the headlights are turned off during the day. Do the halos stay on? The instructions are very vague. And I noticed on your picture that the low beam seems to be on. Just wanted to make sure I don't have to buy a fuse tap to run proper drl's. Awesome truck by the way!

Users who are viewing this thread