5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations for bed mat and retractable tonneau cover?

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'm looking at two addons when my truck comes in, some sort of bed mat and a retractable tonneau cover.

For the bed mat, anyone have any experience with the Bedtred impact mat? I sent BedRug an email today asking if it will be available for the 5'7" bed with RamBox in the future.

For the tonneau cover, I'm looking at the Retrax Pro MX, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit, and the GatorTrax MX. I've read reviews on all three and they seem more or less comparable. Anyone have a recommendation? Otherwise I'm just gonna roll the dice and pick one.

Thanks!

T_Strey5

Reaction score
I’ve also have been looking at the Retrax products. Saw a couple reviews on YouTube but would love to hear from someone on here if they have experience.

Also hoping they find a way to make the RX models work for the RamBox. Would love to still have function of a rail system while keeping items in the bed dry and secured. (I know a cap would be the best solution but I personally don’t like them)

Lettika

Reaction score
I have always used Roll-n-lock. They will have manual and electric versions of the cover. We use these on our survey vehicles and they can take the abuse of being opened and closed 10 times a day for years. The sacrifice is the roll up unit takes up about 8" of bed space at the cab. I got an email from Bedrug saying the product number for the 2019 1500 with Rambox is BRT19CCK and dealers should be able to order it now.

KRYTEN

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at Retrax also. Specifically the power my for a Rambox equipped 2019. They told me they are waiting on RAM’s permission to start making them available. That was 4 weeks ago (early September 2018). Website still shows “coming Soon” as of yesterday.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at Retrax also. Specifically the power my for a Rambox equipped 2019. They told me they are waiting on RAM’s permission to start making them available. That was 4 weeks ago (early September 2018). Website still shows “coming Soon” as of yesterday.
I'd emailed them a week ago asking about RetraxOne/Pro availability, they said the first week of October. I didn't ask if the power versions would be available then, too, but it's a good sign that at least some of their models are coming out next week!

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Retrax one on my truck (non-powered). Fits perfectly and no issues with install.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How has the Retractable been after a few.months of use. Any leaks around then tailgate like the BAK? How are they working with the Ramboxes? Don't hey rub?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am a HUGE Retrax fan and just installed my third unit on my new Limited. I bought the RetraxPRO MX and LOVE IT! Lifetime warranty...can support 500 pounds and extremely well made. I looked at Roll-n-lock and several others too but nothing seems to compare to the Retrax. They have units for both Ram-Box and Non-Ram Box. Took about 15 minutes to put it together and less than 30 minutes to complete the installation. I highly recommend Retrax!

Last edited:

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a HUGE Retrax fan and just installed my third unit on my new Limited. I bought the RetraxPRO MX and LOVE IT! Lifetime warranty...can support 500 pounds and extremely well made. I looked at Roll-n-lock and several others too but nothing seems to compare to the Retrax. They have units for both Ram-Box and Non-Ram Box. Took about 15 minus to pt it together and less than 30 minutes to complete the installation. I highly recommend Retrax!
Would love to see pics. Especially how it seals at the back where many leak, and how the Ramboxes are able to open - does it inhibit it opening at all. That is great to hear, just need to see it to make the decision. Glad it's working well for you.

carpecervisi

Reaction score
Are the RamBox tonneau issues stated by a few the lids not opening all the way or not staying open? I just picked up my Limited yesterday (with RamBox) and am searching for a quality retractable.

FTWRam1500

Reaction score
I just purchased the Retraxpro for Rambox, should install this week and will give an update once completed.

apalma002

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Just picked up my rebel with ram boxes & want to buy the most Dry retractable. Seems most of you like the RetraxPRO.. Any leaks?

jzender

Reaction score
I have the Retrax Pro and zero leaks...LOVE IT! Only cover I will ever buy...this is my third.
I watched the video of the Retrax Pro. It says it has a drain system for water that gets in the rails to keep the bed dry?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I watched the video of the Retrax Pro. It says it has a drain system for water that gets in the rails to keep the bed dry?
We have very heavy rain here in FL and ZERO water entry into my bed. The unit has two drain tubes that connect to the bottom right and left of the Retrax can and the tubes fit perfectly right into the holes in the side of the bed towards the front. The rails are protected from water entry by a dense material that actually stops water from getting into the rails. Best system on the market but pricey...you get what you pay for!

jzender

Reaction score
We have very heavy rain here in FL and ZERO water entry into my bed. The unit has two drain tubes that connect to the bottom right and left of the Retrax can and the tubes fit perfectly right into the holes in the side of the bed towards the front. The rails are protected from water entry by a dense material that actually stops water from getting into the rails. Best system on the market but pricey...you get what you pay for!
Thank you! Neat design...

Baron74

Reaction score
I have also owned three Retrax covers and all of them have held up very well. Currently have the Retrax ProMX and the only water that gets in is through the gaps in the tailgate. Might add a tailgate seat but the amount of water that gets in is negligible.

buckeyeboy

Reaction score
Impact mat liner was my choice for durability. Very pleased. Looks great, (only the softer mat, yeah, does look fancier ) It extends over the gate, I just Velcro-ed it across the top, did not remove the panel. have a pic that sort of shows the difference in the textures when installed.
(By the way: The tail gate is not padded like the bed is.)
Not a problem at all just a heads up.

Attachments

• bedrug gate.jpg
    bedrug gate.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 49
  • bedrug impact liner.jpg
    bedrug impact liner.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 51
  • bedrug liner.jpg
    bedrug liner.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Baron74

Reaction score
DeeZee is also excellent. My truck is a grocery getter and the back is usually a trunk for long trips to Chelan WA. The only reason I add these mats is to stop the gear in back from shifting around, The DeeZee mat is heavy duty, fits perfectly and grips nicely. When I get to Chelan (4.5hrs) nothing has moved and inch. A must with slick bed liner sprays IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread