5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reclining rear seat mod for lower trim levels?

Richluck

Reaction score
I agree. I have a Laramie and could care less about the reclining seats. . I actually didn't even know they did until after I had the truck awhile.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm getting ready to order a truck, but I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to modify the rear seats in a Crew Cab Big Horn to recline. Reclining seats are really the only reason I'd go up to a Laramie, but if there's a way to modify or replace the rear seats in a Big Horn it'd save me some serious money. I've looked all over for back seat mods, and the only one I can find is the seat back fold down one... Does anyone have any input on this?
A dumb question but have you sat in a Laramie with reclining seats? If so, did you notice that big of a difference? We have both a Laramie and a Lone Star in the family, and frankly the rear seats are so spacious and comfortable that nobody has used the reclining seats in the Laramie once the "gimmick" of the reclining seat wore off. Don't get me wrong, the Laramie is a fine trim level but I wouldn't simply purchase it for the reclining rear seats as the benefit is miniscule. IMHO...

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
I have a "lower end" Laramie that didn't get the reclining seats. My kids are in the age ranges where they are using booster seats instead of infant seats, and when they sleep in the back, I really wish the rear seats reclined. So, only one member did this mod?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like there's a bit of modification to make it work so many have probably shied away from it since the cost/time vs. benefit is not there for most of us.

Early on I think most of us though it would be a simple swap: find a donor seat and bolt it in. Since then we've learned there's more to it than that so those of us on the fence decided not to climb it, at least that's how it was for me.

brental1

Reaction score
I attached an image, I believe the parts called a striker. Is this what you're referring to?
Thanks, are the 'square' one (right side of pic) and 'angled' one (left side) all that are required? Or, is there another one out of the picture?

brental1

Reaction score

brental1

Reaction score
Do you have the parts number for the striker? Did you have to purchase two? Yes, 2 strikers and 2 bolts.

Khrissicks

Reaction score
A dumb question but have you sat in a Laramie with reclining seats? If so, did you notice that big of a difference? We have both a Laramie and a Lone Star in the family, and frankly the rear seats are so spacious and comfortable that nobody has used the reclining seats in the Laramie once the "gimmick" of the reclining seat wore off. Don't get me wrong, the Laramie is a fine trim level but I wouldn't simply purchase it for the reclining rear seats as the benefit is miniscule. IMHO...
I agree, I find myself telling my passengers to recline, but they prefer the regular stance. When I do sit back there, I tend to forget that they recline since the seats are spacious and comfortable as mentioned. Even on a 6 hour ride. I do not find the need to recline.

Khrissicks

Reaction score
Thanks, are the 'square' one (right side of pic) and 'angled' one (left side) all that are required? Or, is there another one out of the picture?
The "square" ones are the stock bars. Their purpose is to lock the upper half of the seats in place. This is why one can not fold the upper half of the seats down, because it is hooked on that square bar.

What is required for the mod is:

2 'angled' strikers with a bolt each. One 'angled' striker allows the left individual seat to slide down. Another 'angled' striker allows the right bench seats to slide down.
Reclining seats are required. One can get them from a donor laramie, or limited trim, but make sure they are reclining seats.
- The difference is that bighorn seats do not have the receiving mechanism for the 'angled' striker to use as a slide. And they do not have the lever tabs under the seats to pull out to activate the slide...

- The last requirement is cosmetic. Cutting the floor carpet to expose the screw mounts.

brental1

Reaction score
The "square" ones are the stock bars. Their purpose is to lock the upper half of the seats in place. This is why one can not fold the upper half of the seats down, because it is hooked on that square bar.

What is required for the mod is:

2 'angled' strikers with a bolt each. One 'angled' striker allows the left individual seat to slide down. Another 'angled' striker allows the right bench seats to slide down.
Reclining seats are required. One can get them from a donor laramie, or limited trim, but make sure they are reclining seats.
- The difference is that bighorn seats do not have the receiving mechanism for the 'angled' striker to use as a slide. And they do not have the lever tabs under the seats to pull out to activate the slide...

- The last requirement is cosmetic. Cutting the floor carpet to expose the screw mounts.
Thanks. I've posted about this since my original question. I've installed the angled strikers. Just had to cut a slit for them in the rear wall "carpet". Also discovered that the reclining seat had a different bolt pattern from the non reclining. However, the holes and weld, or caged, nuts were present in my truck for the recliners. I did cut alway the carpet over the reclining bolt holes so the seat track would directly contact the floor pan. I did not have to patch carpet over the original holes. The reclining seat base covered these areas. As others have said, the seat doesn't recline that much. Maybe same, or less than an airline coach seat. But, it reclines; and I HAD to have that!

Users who are viewing this thread