5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reclining rear seat mod for lower trim levels?

MacFly

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm getting ready to order a truck, but I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to modify the rear seats in a Crew Cab Big Horn to recline. Reclining seats are really the only reason I'd go up to a Laramie, but if there's a way to modify or replace the rear seats in a Big Horn it'd save me some serious money. I've looked all over for back seat mods, and the only one I can find is the seat back fold down one... Does anyone have any input on this?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Big Horn rear bench is solid and cannot be modified to recline (hard mounts on the bottom as well as the back of the cab).

Your only options right now are to:

1. Get a Big Horn, find a wrecked Laramie (or above) and buy the rear reclining bench to install in your Big Horn, or

2. Get a Laramie with the reclining bench.

MacFly

Reaction score
The Big Horn rear bench is solid and cannot be modified to recline (hard mounts on the bottom as well as the back of the cab).

1. Get a Big Horn, find a wrecked Laramie (or above) and buy the rear reclining bench to install in your Big Horn, or

Ok, I had wondered about that. But essentially, as long as I can find a reclining back seat from a Laramie or above, it's easily swappable into a big horn? Just bolt it in?

SOWARDCUSTOMS

Reaction score
Ok, I had wondered about that. But essentially, as long as I can find a reclining back seat from a Laramie or above, it's easily swappable into a big horn? Just bolt it in?
I swapped a Laramie interior into my Lonestar. The rear seats will bolt up but they bolt into a different holes in the cab floor on the rear of the seat. You will have to buy the brackets that hold the seat back to the rear of the cab as they mount different from the Lonestar and modify the insulator so the bracket will stick out thru it. I'll have to snap some pics.

MacFly

Reaction score
I swapped a Laramie interior into my Lonestar. The rear seats will bolt up but they bolt into a different holes in the cab floor on the rear of the seat. You will have to buy the brackets that hold the seat back to the rear of the cab as they mount different from the Lonestar and modify the insulator so the bracket will stick out thru it. I'll have to snap some pics.
I'd appreciate that! I don't mind a little work if it's a feasible option. If I go up to a Laramie, I 'have' to get the sport package because I hate that two tone interior. But because of the Sport Package, I'll end up with a console I don't want, so I'll have to swap for a bench seat somehow. So, a Laramie would be far more expensive and I'd STILL have to do work lol

Khrissicks

Reaction score

I'm looking into this and it looks like besides the seats, one must also get the center hook mount to allow the seat to recline, since the big horn does not come with this mount. I'm currently looking to see if the power cables are hidden tucked in the bighorn to power the cooling and heating of the Laramie seats. Currently searching for those answers to attempt the swap

Khrissicks

Reaction score
Did you snap any pics? What is the name of the rear mount, is it attached to the seats or bolted onto the cab? Thank you.

Khrissicks

Reaction score
I attached an image, I believe the parts called a striker. Is this what you're referring to?

Attachments

• striker.png
    striker.png
    613.5 KB · Views: 327

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought a Laramie for other reasons, and really couldn't care less that the rear seats recline. I might have passengers back there twice a year now that my kids are all growed up. I'd swap the rear seat with you if yours would otherwise match my interior LOL.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Was anyone able to retrofit reclining rears on a lower trim? Would love to have this done

Daverous

Reaction score
Dang, I just keep running into you @jdmdc5teg06. Seems you're interested in all the same things I am for my rebel.

To answer your question, yes I've had a set in my rebel for test fitting. Here's the kicker on the rebel... You can't keep your factory covers. The two models are different and the reclining/premium arm rest isn't offered on the rebel trim at this point.

I had a limited set in hand and got a good look. It could possibly be done if you found an interior shop to match your leather. However, with factory parts you'll never match your fronts :( that being said I haven't got a good look at trx covers! They also keep adding features to the rebel. think 360 camera and auto park that werent available until 2021, or even leather which came later as well. If they ever get all the stuff I want added I may be tempted to trade in. Until then you'll have to pick and choose what's worth the fight. Like those front vented seats haha. Or just give up the rebel seat covers and do a full limited swap. If I used my rear seats more that's where I would have gone with it.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Dang, I just keep running into you @jdmdc5teg06. Seems you're interested in all the same things I am for my rebel.

To answer your question, yes I've had a set in my rebel for test fitting. Here's the kicker on the rebel... You can't keep your factory covers. The two models are different and the reclining/premium arm rest isn't offered on the rebel trim at this point.

I had a limited set in hand and got a good look. It could possibly be done if you found an interior shop to match your leather. However, with factory parts you'll never match your fronts :( that being said I haven't got a good look at trx covers! They also keep adding features to the rebel. think 360 camera and auto park that werent available until 2021, or even leather which came later as well. If they ever get all the stuff I want added I may be tempted to trade in. Until then you'll have to pick and choose what's worth the fight. Like those front vented seats haha. Or just give up the rebel seat covers and do a full limited swap. If I used my rear seats more that's where I would have gone with it.
Haha! Yes, it seems like we are definitely in the same boat lol. Everything you mentioned on the newer ‘21 rebels I have since mine is a ‘21 lol. I have basically everything except for the vented fronts/reclining rears and other small things that I’ve already changed out like the technology package, excluding the HUD, lol. I guess since coming from a ‘19 Laramie I got used to all the nice little “luxury” things that I thought I didn’t care for until driving this for a few days and with the family. I love the Rebel so for sure little by little I will add everything, ESPECIALLY the vented seats lol. Just trying to locate some fronts which I’ve looked everywhere with negative results

MacFly

Reaction score
Was anyone able to retrofit reclining rears on a lower trim? Would love to have this done
Same, went with a loaded big horn, but it'd be nice to make the back seats a bit more comfortable for my elderly parents who have bad backs. And it'd be nice to have a little storage on the back of the back seats hidden from view

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Mornin all!!
I'm very interested in this since I also have a Big Horn and would like reclining back seats. @SOWARDCUSTOMS did you ever get to snap some pictures? No pressure just asking.

Users who are viewing this thread