5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: Ram 1500 Models Recalled For Wiper Issues:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram 1500, 1500 Classic, & Compass Models Recalled For Wiper Issues:
Estimated 553,950 Vehicles Affected Worldwide...

1586885391205.png

sinn

Reaction score
Anybody know the torque specs for the wiper arm?

sinn

Reaction score

Captain Obvious says 18 ft lbs.....

Attachments

• wiper arm nut torque.png
    wiper arm nut torque.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 60

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Captain Obvious says 18 ft lbs.....
Thanks!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One paragraph of the recall states the teeth on the post were not formed correctly and it could strip. The next paragraph then states the correction is tighten the nut on the wiper arm. Shouldn't the repair be a new post?

mikkel

Reaction score
One paragraph of the recall states the teeth on the post were not formed correctly and it could strip. The next paragraph then states the correction is tighten the nut on the wiper arm. Shouldn't the repair be a new post?
I think the wiper arm itself has the issue, per the recall notice ... "built with an improperly formed wiper arm head joint that did not fully form the splines of the head joint on the wiper arm" ...

Apparently, Chrysler thinks that by tightening the nut another 1/4 turn it will finish forming the splines in the wiper arm joint. Personally, I would rather have updated replacement wiper arms installed. How much past 18 ft.-lbs. of torque is being applied when tightening another 1/4 turn?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The wiper arm is probably aluminum and the post steel so tightening should work. I've had a wiper strip before and cranking down on the nut fixed the problem

sinn

Reaction score
Mine was already torqued to 18ft lbs so I'm not messing with it unless it starts slipping...
I don't need some retard kneeling on my hood w/a pair of vice grips....

Users who are viewing this thread