5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

Olbez

Reaction score
Why would it change? It's a mechanical device that delivers high fuel pressure
Was literally about to ask the same thing. I’m sure the spec it performs at is the same as the stock pump, just less explodey hopefully

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Why would it change? It's a mechanical device that delivers high fuel pressure
Yes, I know it is mechanical, but you never know what they did internally to the pump and why I ask. But thanks for the info anyway.

Legal Brief

Reaction score
I don’t like to be first, prefer the mechanic perfects the procedure on someone else’s unit. Dealers are overwhelmed and in the are with so many defective GW and W they have no place to put these big trucks. How many miles can one go before this becomes a “real thing” that needs to be done!?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t like to be first, prefer the mechanic perfects the procedure on someone else’s unit. Dealers are overwhelmed and in the are with so many defective GW and W they have no place to put these big trucks. How many miles can one go before this becomes a “real thing” that needs to be done!?
I am coming up on 61K Miles, but I have been using Hot Shots EDT since new.

Malodave

tom318

Reaction score
Like you see above, I'm at 88k and never any additives. The problem does appear random where some see it under 10-20k miles and there are trucks out there with well over 100k no issue. I hate having the dealer do anything with my car but the way this issue arises sucks. There is no warning and its catastrophic. I'm just not sure how any of us know that its really any better with this new pump. No additional warranty described (that I have seen), no description of what they changed or improved.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
Like you see above, I'm at 88k and never any additives. The problem does appear random where some see it under 10-20k miles and there are trucks out there with well over 100k no issue. I hate having the dealer do anything with my car but the way this issue arises sucks. There is no warning and it’s catastrophic. I'm just not sure how any of us know that it’s really any better with this new pump. No additional warranty described (that I have seen), no description of what they changed or improved.
what fuel stations do you pump at?

tom318

Reaction score
It’s a Mobil with no biofuels in their diesel (they claim). But my cars definitely like it. They start better and get better mpg when we fill up with that diesel. Both my ram and golf tdi.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
It’s a Mobil with no biofuels in their diesel (they claim). But my cars definitely like it. They start better and get better mpg when we fill up with that diesel. Both my ram and golf tdi.
So biofuels and detergents are different. Mobil’s order detergents in their fuels. I believe it makes a difference, and isn’t better or worse than adding a can of additive in each tank. Detergents definitely improve engine performance. I always avoid mainstream stations like Wawa, Circle K (not Shell, just Circle K), Speedway, most major truck stops don't have additives, 7-Eleven, Racetrac, Thornton’s, come-and-go etc.

Last edited:

tom318

Reaction score
So biofuels and detergents are different. Mobil’s order detergents in their fuels. I believe it makes a difference, and isn’t better or worse than adding a can of additive in each tank. Detergents definitely improve engine performance. I always avoid mainstream stations like Wawa, Circle K (not Shell, just Circle K), Speedway, most major truck stops don't have additives, 7-Eleven, Racetrac, Thornton’s, come-and-go etc.

I've looked into this before. They don't list their diesel as "Top Tier" and the only stations that come up are Costco when you filter for top tier diesel fuel. Those stations aren't to close to me unfortunately. Any other brands you know of that run these detergents in their fuel? Would be good to know as I'm on some of these road trips I can at least make an effort to use them.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
I've looked into this before. They don't list their diesel as "Top Tier" and the only stations that come up are Costco when you filter for top tier diesel fuel. Those stations aren't to close to me unfortunately. Any other brands you know of that run these detergents in their fuel? Would be good to know as I'm on some of these road trips I can at least make an effort to use them.
Just search by gas, not diesel on the website. Then know what stations around you also have diesel. In my experience they only list regular fuel as top tier stations and don’t add diesel to the online thing. I’ll get Mobil, Shell, Texaco, Marathon, Citgo, Chevron.. Haji-marts.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got the call that my local dealer in Charlotte NC has the HPFP in stock and I'll be dropping it off tonight for a tomorrow recall completion. Glad to have this one behind me.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got the call that my local dealer in Charlotte NC has the HPFP in stock and I'll be dropping it off tonight for a tomorrow recall completion. Glad to have this one behind me.

I hope you knocked on some wood when you typed that...

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope you knocked on some wood when you typed that...

I did not.

Then I drove 30 minutes to the dealer only to be told the parts department was wrong and while they technically have a HPFP for EcoDiesel in stock, they have none of the other parts needed to do the recall. I was sent home with my truck.

FFS.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not.

Then I drove 30 minutes to the dealer only to be told the parts department was wrong and while they technically have a HPFP for EcoDiesel in stock, they have none of the other parts needed to do the recall. I was sent home with my truck.

FFS.
Did you move? Your location shows NH. I'm about an hour from Charlotte, but have much smaller dealerships around me. Still, you gave me some hope.

db252

Reaction score
Took my truck to the dealer after having it scheduled so they could order the parts and have them available. Well as others have stated, no parts yet but they should be there first of next week per them but bot holding my breath. Left my truck at the dealer for the time being.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you move? Your location shows NH. I'm about an hour from Charlotte, but have much smaller dealerships around me. Still, you gave me some hope.

Yes-sir I did but only temporarily down here. Still have a place in NH but I'll be in Charlotte for at least another year.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not.

FFS.

Laughing with you (I hope), not at you.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Parts are on a restriction, most dealers can only order 1 every 7 days.

Users who are viewing this thread