5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

rbreding

Reaction score
My original one kicked the bucket at around 56000 kms. Got a CEL / MIL light and some driving issues. Dealer towed it in and yep. They replaced the HPFP with the same one (new) new injectors / fuel lines etc.
How long ago was that pump replacement of yours ? Before the recall announcement ?

Fillet1

Reaction score
Well here is my story from today. I have a 22 ED with 32k miles. Runs normal. On Oct 3, while driving to VA from NJ the CEL light comes on. Truck ran fine all the way there and back the next day. About 9 hrs of driving and burning nearly a tank of fuel. A few days after being home, Oct 7th I filled up again -80 bucks worth. Drove locally and burned about a quarter of a tank. Trucks runs normal. I got a text from my service dealer about the pump recall that I already knew about and have been waiting for the new one to be available. I called the dealer and they said that the pump is not available yet. I told them about the CEL and said I wanted to bring it in to get that checked out and get oil/tires rotated. Again, truck is running fine.

So I take it in yesterday the 18th. (Remember it threw the code on the 3rd and I filled up on the 7th). I should have pulled the code myself as I had in the past but I was told that it was a low fuel pressure code and they wanted to keep the truck overnight to further diagnose. Ok.

I get a call this am that “it’s an (unspecified) dirty fuel issue” and they are suggesting that it needs the fuel pump and it’s not covered by warranty. As stated the truck runs fine. When I said that the fuel pump is a recall part right now so why should I pay - they asked me to come in and talk about it.

1. I have no idea what they mean by “dirty fuel”. The truck certainly wasn’t filled with 80 bucks of gas recently or I would have been dead on the side of the road.
2. The fuel that was in the truck when the code was thrown is no longer in the vehicle. I burned it on the road trip and refilled it subsequently. I personally fill my own truck at a heavily used station where semis refuel. The second fill after I came back from my trip I did have an attendant (I’m in NJ) pump it at a convenience store . If he gave me 80 bucks of gasoline instead of diesel the truck would have died long before I brought it in for service. I burned a 1/4 tank of the convenience store fuel before bringing it in.
3. They told me they could clear the code and give me the truck back but that there would be no warranty for the pump. Again, no mention that it is recalled anyway even if the claimed “dirty fuel” is a proper basis for denial.

Any thoughts/recourse would be appreciated.

Thanks

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well here is my story from today. I have a 22 ED with 32k miles. Runs normal. On Oct 3, while driving to VA from NJ the CEL light comes on. Truck ran fine all the way there and back the next day. About 9 hrs of driving and burning nearly a tank of fuel. A few days after being home, Oct 7th I filled up again -80 bucks worth. Drove locally and burned about a quarter of a tank. Trucks runs normal. I got a text from my service dealer about the pump recall that I already knew about and have been waiting for the new one to be available. I called the dealer and they said that the pump is not available yet. I told them about the CEL and said I wanted to bring it in to get that checked out and get oil/tires rotated. Again, truck is running fine.

So I take it in yesterday the 18th. (Remember it threw the code on the 3rd and I filled up on the 7th). I should have pulled the code myself as I had in the past but I was told that it was a low fuel pressure code and they wanted to keep the truck overnight to further diagnose. Ok.

I get a call this am that “it’s an (unspecified) dirty fuel issue” and they are suggesting that it needs the fuel pump and it’s not covered by warranty. As stated the truck runs fine. When I said that the fuel pump is a recall part right now so why should I pay - they asked me to come in and talk about it.

1. I have no idea what they mean by “dirty fuel”. The truck certainly wasn’t filled with 80 bucks of gas recently or I would have been dead on the side of the road.
2. The fuel that was in the truck when the code was thrown is no longer in the vehicle. I burned it on the road trip and refilled it subsequently. I personally fill my own truck at a heavily used station where semis refuel. The second fill after I came back from my trip I did have an attendant (I’m in NJ) pump it at a convenience store . If he gave me 80 bucks of gasoline instead of diesel the truck would have died long before I brought it in for service. I burned a 1/4 tank of the convenience store fuel before bringing it in.
3. They told me they could clear the code and give me the truck back but that there would be no warranty for the pump. Again, no mention that it is recalled anyway even if the claimed “dirty fuel” is a proper basis for denial.

Thanks
Theres no way they can deny you warranty on the pump when it's under recall. I'd get ram cares involved immediately and find a new dealer.

The truck is under recall. Doesn't matter if it's our of warranty/tuned or whatever. They have to replace it.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks
Get a lawyer.
Send the dealer a subpoena for a deposition so you can get his statements locked down.

Proceed from there.

(Or, Ram Cares.)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks
Go talk to them. It's a recall part and needs to be replaces either way. Ask them for the scan report that will show when the code 1st set. They should be able to provide a fuel sample, take it home with you. Pay another shop to perform a fuel sample and compare them.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
If the code is P026C or similar (fuel injection quantity lower than expected) change the fuel filter and run some diesel extreme injector cleaner through the truck. If the truck is running fine I doubt your high pressure pump is going. I can promise you the truck wouldn’t run if that pump gave up the ghost. Unless maybe you’re experiencing a lift pump issue…

Have you been keeping up on your maintenance? Changing fuel filter regularly, draining the water separator every so often?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This recall has been live since October 2022. Why the heck aren't these things in stock yet? I've never waited a year for a recall to be performed.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
This recall has been live since October 2022. Why the heck aren't these things in stock yet? I've never waited a year for a recall to be performed.

I hear you. Just like our Chevy Avalanche. Had a recall on the airbags and called dealer middle of May. Just received a call today they have them in. Go figure, 5 and half months. Dang>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is the news you all have been waiting for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031_064004_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_064004_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20231031_064328_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_064328_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 79

tom318

Reaction score
Dropping Mine off on Monday. How do I know they actually put the new updated pump in vs. just new version of what's currently in it? Any visual differences?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dropping Mine off on Monday. How do I know they actually put the new updated pump in vs. just new version of what's currently in it? Any visual differences?
They look identical. You can request to see your old pump to inspect it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any software update flash or is it strictly changing out the pump? I am GDE tuned so I don't want them to flash it if I bring it in.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any software update flash or is it strictly changing out the pump? I am GDE tuned so I don't want them to flash it if I bring it in.

I am hoping for that too. I have a spare PCM to be cloned after and when I get back near Detroit.

Malodave

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

No software update in the Z96 recall.

Attachments

• z96.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 53

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll be sure to tell my dealer not to touch it and put a sign on the dash to be safe.

tom318

Reaction score
Nice. I found a local dealer that has a PCM in stock ($297!) and ill likely pick it up Friday. Ill have them program it during the recall so I can then send it off for a tune. I see they are also adding a B5 diesel label to the fuel door. The station I always use contains 0 biofuel (at least they claim that). I hear both ends that no biofuel is better and that biofuel adds lubricity and is better. I'm at almost 88k and so far so good with 0 additives and no biodiesel. Hopefully this new pump is reliable....

Users who are viewing this thread