5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall 37A for Engine Stall

Snekpete

Reaction score
So I took the truck into Tate CJD last Monday to get the PCM Software Update. A fifteen minute job turned into an hour and they returned the truck with a small dent in the tailgate. If they hadn't told me I would not have noticed it for quite a while. Well, stuff happens, right? They set up an appointment for today to fix the damage for free. I got a text last night that offered a $35 tire rotation and decided to accept that. This morning, in a more sober mood, I decided to research reviews for Tate. The reviews on all platforms are terrible! It looks like they intentionally dented the tailgate so that they could get me back in for other repairs, like rotating tires, and then charge hundreds of dollars claiming various nonsense about coupons. Read the reviews on Yelp.

Anyway, I doubt that they even updated the PCM, does anyone know how to check the software version to see if it was updated per the 37A recall? Thanks.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I took the truck into Tate CJD last Monday to get the PCM Software Update. A fifteen minute job turned into an hour and they returned the truck with a small dent in the tailgate. If they hadn't told me I would not have noticed it for quite a while. Well, stuff happens, right? They set up an appointment for today to fix the damage for free. I got a text last night that offered a $35 tire rotation and decided to accept that. This morning, in a more sober mood, I decided to research reviews for Tate. The reviews on all platforms are terrible! It looks like they intentionally dented the tailgate so that they could get me back in for other repairs, like rotating tires, and then charge hundreds of dollars claiming various nonsense about coupons. Read the reviews on Yelp.

Anyway, I doubt that they even updated the PCM, does anyone know how to check the software version to see if it was updated per the 37A recall? Thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this with us. Should you wish to discuss this further with us, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares

Snekpete

Reaction score
Okay, after some research:

1) Using a standard OBDII Scan Tool I can get the Calibration ID: 68502736AF
2) Chrysler Scan Tool Flash Availability Document - wiTECH 2.0 Knowledge Base is a listing of all the Chrysler available flashes.
3) So at least they did flash the new PCM software.
Screenshot 2023-05-15 113336.png

I will take the truck to an independent body shop to get the dent fixed.

20230515_113710.jpg

I guess this old man is just going to rotate the tires himself. When/if the time comes for cracked header replacement, I will surely find another dealer and do some research ahead of time!

My take on the PCM flash is that if it did anything at all, it made a slight hiccup on the low speed downshift a little worse.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If they didn't do the recall, that would violate federal law. That's why Ram Cares is interested. My brother picked up 3 MPG after recall. I would definitely find a new dealer. A dent like that is pretty serious to have happened in the dealership. Nothing just bumped it. I would be p1ssed and demand a new tail gate not a repair.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
That is not an easy paintless dent repair. My advice is to find a very reputable PDR guy who has experience working with aluminum as it's much different that working with steel. Aluminum is easy to stretch, and if that happens, it won't ever look the same.

Snekpete

Reaction score
That is not an easy paintless dent repair. My advice is to find a very reputable PDR guy who has experience working with aluminum as it's much different that working with steel. Aluminum is easy to stretch, and if that happens, it won't ever look the same.
Yes, it will probably never look brand new. I have a very good body shop, Top Gun, near the airport and I'll have them take a look at it. It looks a lot worse in the close up pic, and I am not overly concerned about the cosmetics. But I am fairly sure that the dealer did it on purpose to draw me back for unneeded and overpriced repairs and service. Now spending 5 or $6K on an unnecessary differential repair, that would **** me off.

Users who are viewing this thread