5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel with a Rooftop Tent

Tommy R

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Just picked up my new Rebel about 2 weeks ago and decided to take the rooftop tent from my '01 Cummins and put it on the new truck. The tent is by Roam Adventures and the rack is by Tuff Stuff 4x4. I used my Cummins for some mild overlanding and for towing my Jeep to offroad parks. The tent makes for quick/easy/comfy accommodations for the weekend trips. I sold the diesel yesterday and the new truck will now be taking over those duties. Here's some pics for those who may be interested.

IMG_3790-L.jpg

IMG_3792-L.jpg

IMG_3794-L.jpg

Here's a picture from a couple months ago on my old truck.
IMG_3275-L.jpg

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice man!! Thanks for pics and info. Im going to start camping out with my boys this year and looking for good options to incorporate the truck with.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Nice man!! Thanks for pics and info. Im going to start camping out with my boys this year and looking for good options to incorporate the truck with.

Happy to help! Any questions, let me know. :)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice setup. Love the Rebel being used for what it was intended.

We have a camping thread in off topic discussion forum.

Check it out and join in on the conversations.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I also sold my Cummins and purchased a Bighorn ORG with 3:92’s. I will be pulling my Jeep to Colorado and elsewhere to trail. I love the rooftop tent idea. My wife - not so much.

0EAC394E-C7C3-4DBA-BA1C-9FD0F9F88B01.jpeg

Tommy R

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I just picked up the Rebel 2 weeks ago and haven't towed with it yet. And I'm putting the Jeep under the knife for some major surgery so I likely won't be towing it for a few months. It's getting stretched from a TJ to an LJ and also getting tons/40s. As soon as I tow with it, I'll report back. :)

Troop2865

Reaction score
Very nice. The Jeep plans sound great also. Are you running the stock engine, transmission, and transfer case?

TFL just shot a video where they pulled a trailer and Suzuki Samurai over the mountains from Moab to Denver. They were very happy with the way it towed. I think their trailer and vehicle being hauled weighed around 7400 pounds.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Thanks, Troop! Jeep will retain the stock 4.0L, NV3550, and NP231...for now. I hope to drop in an LS next winter and an Atlas will find its way in there at some point, too. The trans may get replaced with an NV4500, but time will tell. I'll try the NV3550 first and see how it holds up.

I saw that video! I can't believe that trailer weighed that much, but the fact that the truck towed well and even returned some decent economy was certainly encouraging. :)

RichT

Reaction score
this was my plan until my wife realized that she had to crawl off the roof to use the can in the middle of the night.

....now i'm shopping for campers

Tommy R

Reaction score
LOL!! That's part of the reason for the "downstairs" annex. If need be, I figured I could always put some sort of porta potty contraption down there. Would be super convenient for middle-of-the-night potty breaks....especially for the g/f. :) And as luck would have it, I actually won a very basic "potty" setup at our Jeep club's holiday party. Score! :)

Users who are viewing this thread