5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel tires for winter

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I hate to be that guy but for some of us winter is just around the corner :(. Except for the last 2 years I always ran stock AT tires on my trucks. I only bought winter tires a couple of years ago cause the wife wouldn't leave me alone! I do a lot of winter driving and never had an issue with any tire cause I take my time and drive to the current conditions as best as I can. Yes I realize any winter tire is going to perform better than an AT tire. That being said this will be my first winter with the Rebel and I'm planning to leave the stock Duratracs on and give them a try for the upcoming winter. I convinced the wife (so far) that they're winter tires and I don't need to change them. So for those who do experience winter driving what do you do? Leave the stock tires on? Change to winter tires? If so, which ones? From my research so far the general consensus is that Duratracs are pretty good in snow but not that great for ice. Would love to hear peoples experience with Duratracs in winter.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Duratracs do quite well in the winter; I think you'll be happy with them. No tire is "great" for ice. I leave my Duratracs on for the winter.

ryanc111

Reaction score
I switch out my Duratracs for Nokian LT studded snow tires. Night and day difference.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing will beat studded snow tires.

That said, I drove in and thru a lot of snow and ice up in the mountains of New Hampshire and Maine last winter on the stock Duratracs. They were really really good and inspired confidence. If you drive responsibly, you shouldn't have any issues what-so-ever.

Downytide

Reaction score
I live outside of GTA, Duratrac was fine in the last winter we had, in snow it was great, I actually pulled out few cars that went into the ditches on that super early crazy snow fall back in November without any problem.

On ice, it's ok, but I really don't recall the last time we had crazy ice, one problem is the size, 275/70r18 snow tires are hard to find, most are 275/65r18, that means you would lose a bit of ground clearance due to smaller diameter.

I had also used Yoko G015 in the past, it was amazing in snow and ice, just as good as Nokian, and its available in 275/70r18 and larger (285/75r18 for skinny 35s) while being very quiet on the road and decent off road, just not very good in mud.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Duratracs do quite well in the winter; I think you'll be happy with them. No tire is "great" for ice. I leave my Duratracs on for the winter.

That said, I drove in and thru a lot of snow and ice up in the mountains of New Hampshire and Maine last winter on the stock Duratracs. They were really really good and inspired confidence. If you drive responsibly, you shouldn't have any issues what-so-ever.
I live outside of GTA, Duratrac was fine in the last winter we had, in snow it was great, I actually pulled out few cars that went into the ditches on that super early crazy snow fall back in November without any problem.

On ice, it's ok, but I really don't recall the last time we had crazy ice, one problem is the size, 275/70r18 snow tires are hard to find, most are 275/65r18, that means you would lose a bit of ground clearance due to smaller diameter.

I had also used Yoko G015 in the past, it was amazing in snow and ice, just as good as Nokian, and its available in 275/70r18 and larger (285/75r18 for skinny 35s) while being very quiet on the road and decent off road, just not very good in mud.

Thank you all for chiming in with your experience, I appreciate it. I'm not looking forward to winter but I am kinda looking forward to giving the Duratracs a go when it does hit, if that makes any sense. I do expect the tires to perform just fine and the thought of not having to change them out twice a year is certainly a comfort. I'll keep this thread updated when the time comes and share my opinion and experience on how the Duratracs perform in a Northern Alberta Winter.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I switch out my Duratracs for Nokian LT studded snow tires. Night and day difference.

I don't doubt that at all. Curious, what size are your Nokian studded tires? The winter tires I had for my 14 sport were Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV though they were studless, I thought they were really good in winter.

ryanc111

Reaction score
I don't doubt that at all. Curious, what size are your Nokian studded tires? The winter tires I had for my 14 sport were Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV though they were studless, I thought they were really good in winter.
LT275/70R18 - ~33inches

If you go studded order them that way from Nokian rather than have the shop do that after purchase. But they are great tires even without studs. I've been running them in one form or another for over 10 years.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
LT275/70R18 - ~33inches

If you go studded order them that way from Nokian rather than have the shop do that after purchase. But they are great tires even without studs. I've been running them in one form or another for over 10 years.

Nice, same size as stock! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Nokians, I have nothing but respect for their tires. If by some chance I'm not happy with Duratrac winter performance Nokians would most definitely be my choice.

kiesey

Reaction score
Bought General Arctic Grabbers 275/70/18 to use on stock rims...gonna mount in another week or so...I’ll update! Online from Quebec for $1000 all in with tax

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll be Running Bridgestone Blizzak LT in 275/70/18 E on OEM wheels. Just got them delivered from Quattrotires.com in Quebec as well. Cheapest anywhere I could find. Always run Blizzak or Hakkas. HUGE difference.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the Goodyear Duratrac tires comes with the snowflakes winter emblem but is not available for our Rebel tire size 275/70R18, kinda sucks! I ordered my tire and rim package with pressure sensors online from PMCTIRE.COM in Sherbrook Quebec. Blizzak LT275/70R18 load range E on Replicas 167 alloy rims. Free shipping in Canada for $2166.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the Goodyear Duratrac tires comes with the snowflakes winter emblem but is not available for our Rebel tire size 275/70R18, kinda sucks! I ordered my tire and rim package with pressure sensors online from PMCTIRE.COM in Sherbrook Quebec. Blizzak LT275/70R18 load range E on Replicas 167 alloy rims. Free shipping in Canada for $2166.
There's been some discussion about the lack of snowflake emblem and why. It was brought up that Goodyear simply didn't pay to get the Rebel's specific tire evaluated... cost cutting/profit reasons. That seems to make a lot more sense than using a different design or compound for that one version of tire when all the other sizes, etc. have the emblem.

I think in some places where snow tires are mandatory, you need to have the emblem on the tire... and if so, that sucks!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Hehe sometimes I miss living in NH just for that reason

HydroRebel

Reaction score
So far we're about 50/50 for people who swap to winter tires. The timing is pretty good for this thread this is what I woke up to Sunday (Oct 11) morning:

20201011_095456.jpg

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
I run stock rims and 34” Nitto’s in the summer and run the stock Duratracs on Mopar steel wheels for winter . Live in Western NY and the Duratracs do real well with all the snow we get.

Attachments

• 90C34E34-2C2D-417B-9C3B-EDD77AF0059C.jpeg
    90C34E34-2C2D-417B-9C3B-EDD77AF0059C.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 96083AA9-E22D-425D-8F41-EA6C765F6FD7.jpeg
    96083AA9-E22D-425D-8F41-EA6C765F6FD7.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 90

kiesey

Reaction score
Rocking 275/70/18 (stock size) General Grabber Arctic’s on my stock rims. They look anemic as they are narrower but so far one snow fall and happy with them. Very quiet too on the highway. I’ll update. Now for new summers...lol

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought they were fine last winter, definitely better than 99% of tires out there on the road today, just be careful. That goes for any tire

Snakes709

Reaction score
I have the duratracs on my AT4 and they are pretty good. My first set of AT tires so cant compare them to anything. Normally i run dedicated winter tires but figured ill use these as my winters and ****ty continental all seasons for the summer. The duratracs do really well clawing through deep snow.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No problems with my stock duratrac tire on the snow covered logging roads in northern Ontario. Even towed a loaded trailer around no problem up some pretty steep hills.

Users who are viewing this thread