5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel tires for winter

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I've got a set of Falken Wildpeaks coming. Will update when I get a chance. For reference my stock (285/45R22) Goodyear All Seasons have been ok ish thus far.

Edit: I also know this is the Rebel thread but I ordered 18'' Rebel wheels so figured it still applies.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I've got a set of Falken Wildpeaks coming. Will update when I get a chance. For reference my stock (285/45R22) Goodyear All Seasons have been ok ish thus far.

Edit: I also know this is the Rebel thread but I ordered 18'' Rebel wheels so figured it still applies.
Falken Wildpeaks are often compared to Duratracs. Those tires are also what I'm planning to replace my Duratracs with after they wear down (which is no time soon I hope). We've been hit with an early winter here (unfortunately). Temperatures haven't been too bad yet but we've had about 6-7 snowfalls. So far my opinion on the Duratracs in winter is pretty good. I think they do well driving in snow but not that great on ice, which I was expecting. Once the temperatures start to really drop (-20's/30's) will be the real test for me.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Nice! I haven't put my Wildpeaks through snow yet...will be doing that soon. But off road traction has been great. I have the standard P rated ones.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Falken Wildpeaks are often compared to Duratracs. Those tires are also what I'm planning to replace my Duratracs with after they wear down (which is no time soon I hope). We've been hit with an early winter here (unfortunately). Temperatures haven't been too bad yet but we've had about 6-7 snowfalls. So far my opinion on the Duratracs in winter is pretty good. I think they do well driving in snow but not that great on ice, which I was expecting. Once the temperatures start to really drop (-20's/30's) will be the real test for me.
Yeah I live up in the NT so I'll definitely put it thru its paces. My old Yoda pickup had Toyo Open Country AT's on them and I never really had any issues except on ice because the truck is so light. With the WIldpeaks I'm expecting much of the same, but hopefully a bit better as my Open Country's weren't snow rated. It's interesting you say that they're similar to Duratracs. From what I've seen around the forums the Coopers were much more of a direct comparison.
Nice! I haven't put my Wildpeaks through snow yet...will be doing that soon. But off road traction has been great. I have the standard P rated ones.
Snow in Vegas? Or more likely, whereabouts do you go to run thru some snow? Lake Tahoe? Is that close by? I'm sure you have plenty of places to test out its off road handling so that's good info.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Oh and for future reference for fellow Canadians here interested in new wheels/tires, Grizzly Trucks (Alberta) and WheelWiz (Quebec) have been consistently the cheapest prices I've found and both offer price matching and free shipping to the lower 10. Us northerners aren't as lucky but thankfully I have an address in Edmonton.

Just a little FYI if you're in the market. I must've shopped around on a hundred different sites and took way too much time on this trying to get the best price. If that helps anyone, all the better.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I live up in the NT so I'll definitely put it thru its paces. My old Yoda pickup had Toyo Open Country AT's on them and I never really had any issues except on ice because the truck is so light. With the WIldpeaks I'm expecting much of the same, but hopefully a bit better as my Open Country's weren't snow rated. It's interesting you say that they're similar to Duratracs. From what I've seen around the forums the Coopers were much more of a direct comparison.

Snow in Vegas? Or more likely, whereabouts do you go to run thru some snow? Lake Tahoe? Is that close by? I'm sure you have plenty of places to test out its off road handling so that's good info.
Hehe no snow in Vegas but Mount Charleston is only 20 minutes away from here and when it snows...it's like New England up there, plus they only have the resources to plow once per day when it's snowing lol. Haven't been to Tahoe yet though.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
It's interesting you say that they're similar to Duratracs. From what I've seen around the forums the Coopers were much more of a direct comparison.
Sorry, let me clarify some more. Duratracs are often compared to many other AT tires, probably KO2's the most from what I see, but the same type of questions come up on other forums like "Duratrac vs Wildpeak". I pay closer attention to people who have used both and most of those guys say that they liked both sets of tires, performance is very similar, but for the price difference alone they would choose Wildpeaks. I personally haven't used Wildpeaks before but the reviews on the tires are mostly positive (same for Duratrac). I have used KO2's and those were good as well but some odd reason (maybe bad luck) I kept getting all sorts of nails and screws in the KO2's and had to constantly plug them. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them to be honest but for the price difference the Wildpeaks landed on my radar and will be my choice based on price difference alone.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We just got six inches of snow yesterday late morning through early evening, and I had to run around in it in the late evening after it had fallen.

These Wildpeaks are fantastic. With 4x4 auto or high, they went through the snow like it wasn't even there. Only time I knew it was there was when I hit slippery slush, or one side caught 6 inches along an unplowed lane while the other side was on slick/packed down/plowed roadway. I don't have any weight in my bed, and I don't think I will need any with these babies. I used to add 300-400 lbs of sandbags in the back with my other trucks.

These are hands-down better than the Hankook Dynapro ATm tires, which were my favorite in snow up until now.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We just got six inches of snow yesterday late morning through early evening, and I had to run around in it in the late evening after it had fallen.

These Wildpeaks are fantastic. With 4x4 auto or high, they went through the snow like it wasn't even there. Only time I knew it was there was when I hit slippery slush, or one side caught 6 inches along an unplowed lane while the other side was on slick/packed down/plowed roadway. I don't have any weight in my bed, and I don't think I will need any with these babies. I used to add 300-400 lbs of sandbags in the back with my other trucks.

These are hands-down better than the Hankook Dynapro ATm tires, which were my favorite in snow up until now.
Nice! Bet they would make it feel like you're on dry pavement if you weighed down the bed a little lol.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Sorry, let me clarify some more. Duratracs are often compared to many other AT tires, probably KO2's the most from what I see, but the same type of questions come up on other forums like "Duratrac vs Wildpeak". I pay closer attention to people who have used both and most of those guys say that they liked both sets of tires, performance is very similar, but for the price difference alone they would choose Wildpeaks. I personally haven't used Wildpeaks before but the reviews on the tires are mostly positive (same for Duratrac). I have used KO2's and those were good as well but some odd reason (maybe bad luck) I kept getting all sorts of nails and screws in the KO2's and had to constantly plug them. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them to be honest but for the price difference the Wildpeaks landed on my radar and will be my choice based on price difference alone.
Ahh I gotcha now. Yeah you're right I guess most people just compare AT's all around. I got a bit too specific with comparing ride/tread/look in which Duratrac's definitely are more closely compared to KO2's. From what I've read around the forums though the most popular and maybe therefore "best" AT's are KO2's, Duratrac's, Wildpeaks and Ridge Grappler's. At the end of the day I can't speak to any of them other than KO2's (on my brother's 4th Gen).

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahh I gotcha now. Yeah you're right I guess most people just compare AT's all around. I got a bit too specific with comparing ride/tread/look in which Duratrac's definitely are more closely compared to KO2's. From what I've read around the forums though the most popular and maybe therefore "best" AT's are KO2's, Duratrac's, Wildpeaks and Ridge Grappler's. At the end of the day I can't speak to any of them other than KO2's (on my brother's 4th Gen).
My coworker has the KO2s on his 4th gen too...he says there's good wet/off road traction but the snow traction isn't that great...more like budget all season tires.
Ridge grapplers I hear are great but a little pricey for me.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
KO2s are popular, but they've been around for a while.

The best A/T I've read about in the past year or two are the General Grabber ATX. If they made the General Grabber ATX in more sizes, I would have gone with them, but alas, not made in my size.

This is also one of those areas where you shouldn't listen to Consumer Reports, FYI. Their A/T tire preferences trend towards on-road manners over actual A/T performance. Just got their latest issue in the mail yesterday, and was disappointed in their section on A/T tires.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know what you mean...I saw a YouTube video comparison on the "best AT tires" (don't remember the channel) but neither Wildpeaks or Ridge Grapplers were on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread